Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by TimWong
I''ll be flying Vie to kul return.

Where are passport controls? At vie, kul and ist?

Does TK have a priority service for passengers in C if there is a passport check in IST (+ if visiting the lounge)?

Which floor is more quiet in the lounge in IST?
VIE and KUL will have immigrations checks for both departing and arriving pax.

At IST, your transfer process will include a security check when coming from KUL but your VIE arrival is considered "safe".

There will be no actual immigration check to go thru at IST but if you'd like to go to the city (or need a hotel) then immigration checks are necessary for both arrival and departure.

However, visas for the country of travel and your passport will be checked prior to boarding your flight.

As far as the Priority Lanes go at IST, they are available at almost any checkpoint be it security or immigration
Old Dec 26, 2016, 11:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by TimWong

Which floor is more quiet in the lounge in IST?
I've usually found downstairs to be the more quiet of the two floors. There is also a second set of glass luggage lockers just beyond the gents toilets if the ones on the upstairs level are all taken.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
If I want to book a Star Alliance award on UA metal using TK miles, what UA fare bucket(s) must be available in order for Turkish to be able to issue the award?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:15 pm

My wife and I are flying Turkish business class from the US through Ataturk in April and have a five or six layover on flights to and from Bishkek and will have access to the Turkish air lounge.

We are pretty slow walking and I'm told the lounge is a long way from the gates. I was curious if there is a service we could book to take us there and back.

I asked primeclass and they wanted a ridiculous 170 Euros + VAT per person!!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The distance between gate and lounge depends on which gate is used - but indeed, it can be long if the gate is at the far end of the terminal - normally the distance is not that long; it is manageable, in particular if you take your time/at your own pace. Anyway, you need to leave the lounge in time and leave plenty of time to get to the gate as the terminal is crowded and it may be long walk.

At check-in I would inquire if it is possible to get assistance upon landing at IST. I would also ask the flight crew before landing and finally, TK agents will be around once you deplane - ask them if you didn't get the response you were looking for. I'm sure that you will be able to get assistance if needed.

There is no need to order services from a third party. The quote you received is at an inflated price level.

Last edited by SK AAR; Jan 9, 2017 at 4:34 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
just as a note, I used my Elite plus vouchers today on a trip and it was very easy.

1. I called up the check there was availability to upgrade on the flights I wanted.
2. I booked the flights online (there is a booking fee if you do it over the phone and is often veeery long)
3. I call them back and upgraded the flights.

The whole process took about 15 minutes including waiting in line to speak to an agent.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:58 am

Excuse my ignorance but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before using up all of my points. I'm looking to book a Turkish Airlines flight from LAX to Athens and I see that there are Business Limited and Business tickets available for 107K and 45K miles respectively.

My question is, why is Business Limited so much less? If I do book a Business Limited tickets am I guaranteed the 4 seats on the plane in Buisness class?

Finally are Ultimate Rewards points transferable to Turkish Airway miles?

Thank You
Old Jan 11, 2017, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by isykyjw
Excuse my ignorance but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before using up all of my points. I'm looking to book a Turkish Airlines flight from LAX to Athens and I see that there are Business Limited and Business tickets available for 107K and 45K miles respectively.

My question is, why is Business Limited so much less? If I do book a Business Limited tickets am I guaranteed the 4 seats on the plane in Buisness class?

Thank You
Chase Ultimate Rewards Airline Partners:
  • British Airways Avios
  • Air France/KLM Flying Blue
  • Korean Air SkyPass
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
  • Southwest Rapid Rewards
  • United MileagePlus
  • Virgin Atlantic Flying Club

So no, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles isn't one.

IIRC, the Limited J ticket has much less flexibility and is only available on certain days when the regular award is available at any time.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by isykyjw

Thank You
If there are 4 Business Limited tickets available on your flight and you book all 4 then yes you are guaranteed those seats. The difference in mileage comes from the fact that the Business Limited award availability comes in very limited quantity as the name indicates.

Not sure about the second question.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:46 pm

Thanks for the information. I know Turkish Airlines is part of Star Alliance but wasnt sure if Chase points were transferable.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Hi there- I'm flying on Turkish for the first time in business from Dubai to IST #TK763, connecting to IST to SFO #TK79 on April 8th: what are the seat comfort and service expectations going to be like? We are in row 2 on TK763 and row 3 on TK79 both window sides.

I've perused Turkish's website and didn't find much details from the photos, are the seats true lie flat seats? Seat guru has them as 177' degree pitch etc

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by vg247
Hi there- I'm flying on Turkish for the first time in business from Dubai to IST #TK763, connecting to IST to SFO #TK79 on April 8th: what are the seat comfort and service expectations going to be like? We are in row 2 on TK763 and row 3 on TK79 both window sides.

I've perused Turkish's website and didn't find much details from the photos, are the seats true lie flat seats? Seat guru has them as 177' degree pitch etc

Thanks in advance
One thing to note is that TK has middle seats in longhaul J.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
One thing to note is that TK has middle seats in longhaul J.
Oh yes thank you, I made sure we got the 2 seats on the window sides for each segment and not the middle seats. It's a 2-3-2 configuration.

As an aside, I've found that the airlines phone reps are not very friendly 5 of 5 times I had called.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:06 am

Programs: TK *G, SkyTeam Elite Plus
Delay/missing connection flight compesation?

Recently I flew return leg JFK - IST - ZAG with Turkish. Connection time to Zagreb was 1:10 minutes, but we were late on our departure aprox 1:15 minutes which caused delay on our arrival and we landed in Istanbul exactly the same time when our connection flight to ZAG took off.

I tried to run to the gate in hope that ZAG leg will be delayed a little but without luck so I needed to wait over 12 hours in Istanbul for next flight.

Turkish did a rebooking without problem and they gave me meal vouchers. I was not interested in hotel offering so I did not even ask, I did not want to go outside the Airport.

My question is: Based on above facts, do I have any rights for delay/missing connection flight compensation our Turkish did everything am I entitled to?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by BurekTheGreat
Recently I flew return leg JFK - IST - ZAG with Turkish. Connection time to Zagreb was 1:10 minutes, but we were late on our departure aprox 1:15 minutes which caused delay on our arrival and we landed in Istanbul exactly the same time when our connection flight to ZAG took off.

I tried to run to the gate in hope that ZAG leg will be delayed a little but without luck so I needed to wait over 12 hours in Istanbul for next flight.

Turkish did a rebooking without problem and they gave me meal vouchers. I was not interested in hotel offering so I did not even ask, I did not want to go outside the Airport.

My question is: Based on above facts, do I have any rights for delay/missing connection flight compensation our Turkish did everything am I entitled to?
I think they did everything they could.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.