Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Two data points: I purchased my ticket a few hours before the first flight which did not give me time to get an e-Visa. I was able to get a Visa in the airport for $30 which allowed for multiple entries.
A few months ago I purchased my visa online on my phone about 5 minutes before going through immigration. I did need to show the number to them (on my phone) as I went through immigration so I guess it hadn't fully propagated to their systems, but otherwise no problems.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:12 am

Hi,

First time flying TK and new to FT

I'm arriving at 5am in IST from a redeye and my connection leaves at 12:50PM on a Monday. Aeroplan J award, both inbound/outbound are TK. I see there's a free tour for 8:30-11AM.

1) I have heard security can be very slow. If the tour ends at 11AM, will I be able to go through security and exit immigration (if Turkey has this?) in time to make my connection?

2) How long does security/immigration usually take?

3) Is there a dedicated line for J pax?

4) Is the 2.5 hour tour in Istanbul worth the $60 USD I'd pay for the e-visa? It'd be my first time there.

My original plan was to hangout in the lounge and nap/eat, but the tour does sound interesting.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:09 am

1) No problem. TK states you should be back 1.5hrs before your flight takes place
2) I'd advise to arrive at the airport 1.5hrs before departure just in case (as TK does), but often you can get airside (through security and immigration) within 15 minutes. In fact, IST has a highly efficient security system (both for transit as well as going airside) - and lower travel on TK certainly made the queues getting shorter in average too.
3) Yes, in fact you can directly enter the lounge from landside as TK J pax with fully dedicated security&immigration.
4) That's a question you've to answer yourself. With driving into the city and back to the airport, you'll really just get a very quick glance at IST with this ultra-short tour. I've been to IST many times, and therefore wouldn't even think of paying 60$ for a quick view, but if you've never been (and might not go there in the foreseeable future) it could be different.

My advise would be to not buy the visa in advance but IF you really feel like taking the tour in the morning, to buy it then and there. You might just want to sleep a bit more in the lounge. Would be a shame if a pre-bought Visa would get "forced" onto that tour, half-asleep..
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
1) No problem. TK states you should be back 1.5hrs before your flight takes place
2) I'd advise to arrive at the airport 1.5hrs before departure just in case (as TK does), but often you can get airside (through security and immigration) within 15 minutes. In fact, IST has a highly efficient security system (both for transit as well as going airside) - and lower travel on TK certainly made the queues getting shorter in average too.
3) Yes, in fact you can directly enter the lounge from landside as TK J pax with fully dedicated security&immigration.
4) That's a question you've to answer yourself. With driving into the city and back to the airport, you'll really just get a very quick glance at IST with this ultra-short tour. I've been to IST many times, and therefore wouldn't even think of paying 60$ for a quick view, but if you've never been (and might not go there in the foreseeable future) it could be different.

My advise would be to not buy the visa in advance but IF you really feel like taking the tour in the morning, to buy it then and there. You might just want to sleep a bit more in the lounge. Would be a shame if a pre-bought Visa would get "forced" onto that tour, half-asleep..
Thank you! That is my plan now. After leaving SIN at 11PM I have no idea whether I'll be up for an adventure so I'll make a decision an hour before the tour start.

Would be a shame if I spent 7 hours of my birthday idly in the TK lounge... We'll see
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
A couple data points: I took a taxi from the Old Town to the airport on Wed of this week. There was traffic for the first ten minutes, but once we got out of the city the ride was clear. It took 35 minutes. Once at the airport, it took 40 minutes to get through the passport check, but I wasn't in J. The J line never seemed to have more than four or five people queued, and it moved very quickly.

One last point: You don't mention your destination. For some reason, ATL flights have an additional round of security and require you be at your gate even earlier than other destinations. There is an additional passport check followed by wanding, checking for residue on your hands/clothes and a slow, detailed bag check. You will need to turn electronics on one last time. You are checked by guards of your gender, and there is only one set of male and one set of female guard, so this is a slow process. If that's your destination, you might not want to cut it so close.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
A couple data points: I took a taxi from the Old Town to the airport on Wed of this week. There was traffic for the first ten minutes, but once we got out of the city the ride was clear. It took 35 minutes. Once at the airport, it took 40 minutes to get through the passport check, but I wasn't in J. The J line never seemed to have more than four or five people queued, and it moved very quickly.

One last point: You don't mention your destination. For some reason, ATL flights have an additional round of security and require you be at your gate even earlier than other destinations. There is an additional passport check followed by wanding, checking for residue on your hands/clothes and a slow, detailed bag check. You will need to turn electronics on one last time. You are checked by guards of your gender, and there is only one set of male and one set of female guard, so this is a slow process. If that's your destination, you might not want to cut it so close.
Next destination is Rome. Hopefully intra-Europe will be much easier. Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Next destination is Rome. Hopefully intra-Europe will be much easier. Thanks for your help!
Intra-Europe, no such things.

What CJKatl described is only for US-bound flights (and isn't the fault of TK or Turkey, but rather of the US demanding that kind of "treatment")
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Hi,

First time flying TK and new to FT

I'm arriving at 5am in IST from a redeye and my connection leaves at 12:50PM on a Monday. Aeroplan J award, both inbound/outbound are TK. I see there's a free tour for 8:30-11AM.

1) I have heard security can be very slow. If the tour ends at 11AM, will I be able to go through security and exit immigration (if Turkey has this?) in time to make my connection?

2) How long does security/immigration usually take?

3) Is there a dedicated line for J pax?

4) Is the 2.5 hour tour in Istanbul worth the $60 USD I'd pay for the e-visa? It'd be my first time there.

My original plan was to hangout in the lounge and nap/eat, but the tour does sound interesting.

Thanks in advance!
Hi,
I did the 8:30-11am sightseeing tour last Nov. 2016 and I personally think it is not worth the 60USD visa fee because it's very short and you would only make two stops: in Galata Bridge and Dolmabahce Palace. I didn't have to pay for visa as I have Swedish passport and I have spent a week in Istanbul a few years ago with our group so I have already seen the essentials. Hopefuly you get a longer transit next time to be able to see the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia, or maybe visit Istanbul for a few days in the future. You can check more pictures of this sightseeing tour here.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
I'm in IST at the moment, tried to get the Renaissance Polat, but the Hotel Desk guy said it's for business class pax only. Got sent to the WOW, which is nothing special, but on a $640 RT fare from LAX to LJU, I can't really complain.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gr8pirate
I'm in IST at the moment, tried to get the Renaissance Polat, but the Hotel Desk guy said it's for business class pax only. Got sent to the WOW, which is nothing special, but on a $640 RT fare from LAX to LJU, I can't really complain.
Yeah they only give J pax the Renaissance Polat. I would recommend asking for the Gorrion hotel if you're flying Y and are willing to pay 10 lira for your own cab. It's a decent 5* hotel just minutes from the airport.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by EK788
Yeah they only give J pax the Renaissance Polat.
Is the Renaissance Polat the best one to ask for as a J passenger? They put me there last time and was reasonably happy with it, but is there anything better?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by EK788
I would recommend asking for the Gorrion hotel if you're flying Y and are willing to pay 10 lira for your own cab. It's a decent 5* hotel just minutes from the airport.
Thanks for the tip!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I'll just throw this out here... On my way to Prague last week I used the hotel provided by Turkish Airlines. On the way home, although I was eligible for the free hotel or tour, I opted to get my own hotel and do a self guided tour. Although this added about $100 to my travel costs, it was worth it. I took a cab into the Old Town around 8:30 pm so there was no traffic. It cost about $20. My room at the Doubletree was $60. In the morning, after an included breakfast, I jumped on the 4 Turkish Lira trolley, took it up hill a couple stops, toured the Topkapi Castle, Hagi Sophia, Blue Mosque and Grand Bazaar. The walk was down hill (!) and I was able to pull self guided tour information on my phone and listen through headphones. In all, I spent about four hours, got back to the hotel, took a taxi back to the airport. ($25) Note: Uber is only available for vans right now.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:52 pm

Used the free hotel benefit last night. Travelling in J, asked for the Renaissance Polat but was told it was sold out, so they gave me the Radisson Blu. Nothing special, but it fit the purpose for a quick overnight stay.

Only problem was they arranged the bus for a 5am pickup for an 8:05am flight. Given it was a sub-10 min trip, and I was in J so I knew immigration/security would take maximum about 2 minutes (straight into the lounge) I skipped the TK bus and caught the hotels 6am bus instead. Originally was intending to do a 6:30am taxi, but I was awake anyway so went with their bus.

A neat little trick if you're headed to London - I could have connected to LHR last night, landed late into LHR and then had to pay my own hotel at London rates. Instead I booked into LGW which necessitated the long layover and thus the free hotel, and was still in London by about 10am anyway.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: Turkish Airlines Gold
I am looking at flying TK connecting through Istanbul. Due to the timings I will either have a 18hour connect or 24 hour connection. If I pick the 24 hour connection will I be eligible to the hotel as even if I took the earlier connection it will still be eligible for the hotel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.