Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 5:46 pm

Apologies for yet another "do I qualify" post.

Have read FAQ of the first post as well as TK's website page.
Thought I was clear about eligibility but after reading this thread (and the old version of it), bit unsure.

My long haul flight out of IST on TK is in the evening (it is the sole flight of the day for that destination and hence no question about availibility of any earlier flight)

However, my incoming flight to IST is from JFK (I am on flight arriving in early morning)
Based on 14 hour layover I thought I was eligible for the city tour (not interested in hotel)

However, is that correct conclusion?
(since in theory I could have taken one of the other later flights from JFK which would have arrived later in the day with only couple hours of layover and thus violating)

thanks for clarifying in advance.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
From our experience, it's very easy to get the tour. We got the tour even though there were earlier flights in the day.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Queensferry
That's a good question so I logged onto their website and it does not give me the option to book the 19:15 flight to Skopje. The only flight it would let me connect with was the 7am one (the one I am on anyway) so it looks like I should get the free room. Thanks
I think you're eligible for the hotel room simply because 45 minutes is not a legal connection at IST between 2 international TK flights which is 1 hour.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A friend of mine is travelling BRU-JRO in whY on 1MAY. According to the website there is no connection available without a 19:40 layover in IST. This should mean she qualifies for the hotel OR tour right?

Last edited by hugolover; Apr 12, 2013 at 9:38 am
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hugolover
A friend of mine is travelling BRU-JRO in whY on 1MAY. According to the website there is no connection available without a 19:40 layover in IST. This should mean she qualifies for the hotel OR tour right?
Yes, but in case there is a schedule change and a shorter connection is available then you won't be able to get the hotel.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 2:59 pm

Wednesday, July 03, 2013
We'll be arriving at 20:10 in Istanbul, coming from Amsterdam. The next day we will fly at 19.10 to Dar Es Salaam, so we'll have a 23 hours layover. There is however a later plane from Amsterdam to Istanbul, which still has a 19 hours layover, so either way we'ld have more then 10 hours layover.
Would the existence of this later flight lead to not being eligible for the free hotel?

Other then that, there is apparently a earlier flight from Amsterdam that gives the possibility of getting on a earlier flight to Dar Es Salaam.

Would any of those 2 flights cause us to be denied a free hotel?
Thanks in advance...
Old Apr 14, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Originally Posted by Kirsten de Schaetzen
Other then that, there is apparently a earlier flight from Amsterdam that gives the possibility of getting on a earlier flight to Dar Es Salaam.

Would any of those 2 flights cause us to be denied a free hotel?
Thanks in advance...
Yes. If that earlier flight from AMS gives a legal connection to the earlier flight to Dar Es Salaam on the day of your travel. Then you do not qualify for the hotel.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by iamaho
Yes. If that earlier flight from AMS gives a legal connection to the earlier flight to Dar Es Salaam on the day of your travel. Then you do not qualify for the hotel.
Does is make any difference if we could not book this earlier flight?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kirsten de Schaetzen
Does is make any difference if we could not book this earlier flight?
Nope. TK only looks at the schedule when they determine whether you are qualified for the hotel. It doesn't matter whether the earlier departure is full or not.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: AIR: AA, TrueBlue, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by desi
Apologies for yet another "do I qualify" post.

My long haul flight out of IST on TK is in the evening (it is the sole flight of the day for that destination and hence no question about availibility of any earlier flight)

However, my incoming flight to IST is from JFK (I am on flight arriving in early morning)
Based on 14 hour layover I thought I was eligible for the city tour (not interested in hotel)

I believe I am in the same boat as you (Coming into IST from JFK at 5:30ish in the morning, flying out of IST around 7:50PM.

From everything I read, I think we should be able to get on the tour... Also, I've emailed them and asked about taking the tour and leaving early while downtown (I want to see a few sights that are not on the tour plus I have more time to spend), they will just make you sign a waiver that you will find your own way back to the airport
Old Apr 28, 2013, 3:38 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
I am here to say something bad about the tour.

Well, it's none of TK's fault, but I want to write my experience so you can keep it in mind when you meet it. Two weeks ago I got the tour quite easily. However the tour itself is not that good, although it's free.

According to the schedule online, we should be going to grand bazaar that day (Monday). But the guide said that it is closed that day even if it is written in the schedule. When I asked if it's just closed that day or every Monday, she replied "Every Monday." Later I learned it is false since grand bazaar is only closed on Sundays. So at last we went to spice bazaar instead, during which she lead us to a shop saying it has special relation to turkish airlines, and "every shop is the same, if you want to buy something, buy it here". Of course I didn't buy anything and I don't believe in any words she said. I know this happens to tour groups from time to time, but I still feel cheated.

Next time if you are taking the tour, keep this in mind.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting.

In our tour back in January, we were doing the Sunday tour and we went to the Spice Bazaar as well. We were dropped off right by the bazaar and we agreed on a time to meet up and head back to the airport. We got 2 hours free to explore.

I don't think the shop has anything to do with TK but perhaps to the tour guide.

It's kind of true that almost all the shops sell the same thing at very similar price, but of course I'd do the same as you - not to buy anything in a shop led in by the tour guide.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
I was accomodated at the Wow Airport Hotel 3 weeks ago, waited for about 30 min for the hotel desk to get a full shuttle bus load. Both business and econ pax. Food and drink prices seemed high even for hotel prices. Burger king and another place across from hotel and metro station less than 5 min walk around the corner which the shuttle passes near hotel entrance. 5 min shuttle from airport. Breakfast was included but my 5 am departure was too early - they gave a bag of something to eat that was not appealing, was glad to have breakfast in the CIP lounge.
Old May 1, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: SK EBD, AY Plat, Member TG,LH,UA,AC
Smile Newby to TK and free night rule(s)

I am thinking to fly TK on C with this itin :

Flight 1 Tuesday, August 13, 2013
Departure: 10:55 Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International
Arrival: 17:10 Istanbul, Turkey - Ataturk, terminal I

Flight 2 Wednesday, August 14, 2013
Departure: 08:45 Istanbul, Turkey - Ataturk, terminal I
Arrival: 11:15 Gothenburg, Sweden - Landvetter

Flight 3 Wednesday, August 14, 2013
Departure: 14:20 Istanbul, Turkey - Ataturk, terminal I
Arrival: 16:45 Gothenburg, Sweden - Landvetter
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is obvious that if I choose flight 1 & 2, I am eligible for a free night. What do you guys think if I take 1 & 3 instead, will I still be eligible ?

Look forward to your suggestion :-:.
Old May 2, 2013, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As long as there is no Goteborg flights after 18.30, then you are qualified for a free night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.