Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: Turkish Airlines Gold
Originally Posted by boosh
leave the lounge and walk to the other end of the terminal, to your left just before the food hall there is a set of stairs that will take you to departures below
Thanks for that. I noticed today the instructions are on the Lounge megathread
Old Jun 24, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 89703511961
I'll be flying KTM-IST-DUB with a 14 or so hour lay over. I was hoping to go to the lounge and then go to the hotel desk.
Keep in mind that from KTM they will likely send you through transit security. Between that and then subsequently having to go through immigration you could be spending a fair while in line...
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Originally Posted by docbert
Keep in mind that from KTM they will likely send you through transit security. Between that and then subsequently having to go through immigration you could be spending a fair while in line...
He wouldn't have to go through transit security and immigration. It will be ether or, and if traveling J or with *G shouldn't be a problem
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by boosh
He wouldn't have to go through transit security and immigration. It will be ether or, and if traveling J or with *G shouldn't be a problem
He was planning to go to the lounge and then the hotel desk. If they are dropped into the arrivals area then that'll mean a trip through security to get to the lounge, and then subsequently a trip through immigration to get to the hotel desk/hotel.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum
Ended up at the Grand Yavuz Hotel tonight, a brisk 5 minute walk from Nuruosmaniye Mosque.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:14 am

Anybody knows if they are strict regarding the City Tours.? I have a 25:45 h connection.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Good morning from IST!
Arrived yesterday at hotel desk, was told it'd be Pullman.

But then we're put into busses together with all Y pax... I double check if this is alright and they say "yes hotel 5 star".

Turns out we're at the Hilton Bomonti, which is *far* from the airport. Luckily this means it's pretty close to parts of the city so I'll go to a museum before my next flight (though the weather is atrocious!!).

Another odd hotel for the list.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, SPG Plat, Jetsmarter
I connected in IST back in April, coming from HKG in business.

Got to the hotel desk (no line) and was told to wait in the arrival lounge just opposite.
A driver picked me up about 20mins later and drove me to the Renaissance Polat in an empty van. Service at the Renaissance was fantastic (upgrade to a seaview on the highest floor and even points as a Marriot Plat). Breakfast was decent with loads of tasty Turkish options.

The hotel is in a residential area with some nice teahouses on the waterfront - and if you got some more time take a walk (maybe 15mins) to the Istanbul Aviation Museum, very interesting for any avgeek.
Pickup was seamless to (although a bit too early for my taste..) an we were dropped of at the business class entrance.

All in all probably the best interaction i've ever had with TK
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by nilsrtw
Pickup was seamless to (although a bit too early for my taste..) an we were dropped of at the business class entrance.
When staying at both the Renaissance Polat and another hotel I've ignore their planned pickup time, and just caught the hotels own shuttle to the hotel to the airport at a later time. (or if the hotel doesn't have a shuttle or the times don't work out, taxis are cheap!)

On both occasions I've told the hotel front desk I was doing it in case they were looking for me, but both times they basically said that the TK shuttle would just leave without me if I wasn't there.

Especially if you're in business class and can use the direct immigration/security line into the lounge their pickup times are far too early...
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Preparing upcoming trip which I'd be eligible for free hotel.

I am weighing the option of paying for hotel (need to get to work on my desktop ASAP) on my own given the hotels are cheap around IST these days, the key is being able to get there quickly (if not ASAP) around 4-5 pm arriving from YYZ.

Question, which hotel is the quickest (humanly possible) to get to from arrival other than TAV? Many hotels are close nearby but you could wait forever for the shuttle. I am thinking WOW will be the best bet, just swipe my Istanbulkart and 1 stop, viola?

Any other suggestions? Returning from TPE is no brainer, I'll take advantage of free hotel.

Originally Posted by nilsrtw
The hotel is in a residential area with some nice teahouses on the waterfront - and if you got some more time take a walk (maybe 15mins) to the Istanbul Aviation Museum, very interesting for any avgeek.
This area along Kennedy Cd. is called Bakirkoy and is my usual area of stay in Istanbul, if you stay at Titanic Port you'd be right next to the mall Capacity. If you go along Kennedy Cd you'll be at the pier which will take you to Istanbul without dealing with traffics. I am hoping Marmaray gets extended as soon as they can so I can hop on Marmaray and get to Sirkeci in minutes.

Last edited by vincewy; Jul 20, 2017 at 4:54 pm
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by vincewy
PQuestion, which hotel is the quickest (humanly possible) to get to from arrival other than TAV? Many hotels are close nearby but you could wait forever for the shuttle. I am thinking WOW will be the best bet, just swipe my Istanbulkart and 1 stop, viola?
Taxis are cheap. Wow will be the (physically) closest, and likely the fastest to get to via either the train or taxi.

I've stayed at both the Renaissance Polat and the Radisson Blu and both have shuttles, but as you say both they only run every hour or so. Other hotels have them, but only at fixed times of the day. A taxi will run you about TL15 max to any of the close hotels, and will be fast. The train to Wow will only take a few minutes, but only leaves every 7-10 minutes, and then you've got a longer walk at both ends of the trip.

Personally I've never had to wait more than about 5 minutes for the TK shuttle to take me to my hotel (plus maybe 5 minutes for them to book it) - and always in a shuttle by myself - but from other accounts it does sound like I've been lucky.

Last edited by docbert; Jul 21, 2017 at 12:45 am
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by vincewy
Preparing upcoming trip which I'd be eligible for free hotel.

I am weighing the option of paying for hotel (need to get to work on my desktop ASAP) on my own given the hotels are cheap around IST these days, the key is being able to get there quickly (if not ASAP) around 4-5 pm arriving from YYZ.

Question, which hotel is the quickest (humanly possible) to get to from arrival other than TAV? Many hotels are close nearby but you could wait forever for the shuttle. I am thinking WOW will be the best bet, just swipe my Istanbulkart and 1 stop, viola?

Any other suggestions? Returning from TPE is no brainer, I'll take advantage of free hotel.

This area along Kennedy Cd. is called Bakirkoy and is my usual area of stay in Istanbul, if you stay at Titanic Port you'd be right next to the mall Capacity. If you go along Kennedy Cd you'll be at the pier which will take you to Istanbul without dealing with traffics. I am hoping Marmaray gets extended as soon as they can so I can hop on Marmaray and get to Sirkeci in minutes.

I stayed at the Gorrion last week, beautiful hotel; only a 5 minute taxi ride to IST.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Granite64
I stayed at the Gorrion last week, beautiful hotel; only a 5 minute taxi ride to IST.
+1. I really enjoyed the Gorrion, and it's a hotel that they are willing to assign anyone provided you state that you want to pay for your own transportation to the hotel.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Would we qualify for hotel?

We will be arriving on a long haul TK business class flight - arrival is scheduled for around 5 pm. This inbound flight will be an award flight (booked with United Miles). The next morning, we will continue on to our destination on a paid, economy class TK flight departing around 11 am - time between arrival and departure will be 17 hours 30 minutes. These flights are on two separate tickets.

Would we qualify for the free hotel?

If I'm reading the criteria correctly - and if there are no additional criteria that aren't listed (eg if one of your flights is an award ticket, no soup for you!), it seems we should qualify - no?

• A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. Yep, 17:30 connection, both are TK-operated flights, both are international. Check.
  • However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. No, there are no other TK flights that we could take any sooner than the connecting flight 17:30 after our arrival. Check.
  • The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. Yep, both are TK metal. Check.
  • All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Yep, got that. Check.

Am I missing any sneaky hidden clause that would disqualify us?

Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:21 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
AFAIK two separate tickets means you are disqualified.

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
We will be arriving on a long haul TK business class flight - arrival is scheduled for around 5 pm. This inbound flight will be an award flight (booked with United Miles). The next morning, we will continue on to our destination on a paid, economy class TK flight departing around 11 am - time between arrival and departure will be 17 hours 30 minutes. These flights are on two separate tickets.

Would we qualify for the free hotel?

If I'm reading the criteria correctly - and if there are no additional criteria that aren't listed (eg if one of your flights is an award ticket, no soup for you!), it seems we should qualify - no?
  • A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. Yep, 17:30 connection, both are TK-operated flights, both are international. Check.
  • However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. No, there are no other TK flights that we could take any sooner than the connecting flight 17:30 after our arrival. Check.
  • The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. Yep, both are TK metal. Check.
  • All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Yep, got that. Check.

Am I missing any sneaky hidden clause that would disqualify us?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.