Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Old May 2, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA MP, Delta Sky Miles, AA Advantage
Flying DLM-IST-LED, arriving IST at 9 PM and leaving for LED at 11 AM next day (connection time is 14 hours). There is only one daily IST-LED flight but there are several DLM-IST ones, including a later one, which I could have taken, which would have made the connection time less than 10 hours.

Am I eligible for the free hotel in there were other INCOMING flight options with shorter connection time? I am also a it confused about "international flights" angle. Do both flights have to be international or just one?

Last edited by GREAKLY; May 2, 2017 at 6:38 pm
Old May 2, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Maybe someone knows the answer -
Flying into IST in Business Class from Italy but flying out to Germany 8 hr 35 minutes later via Economy (Due to award travel structure) on TK. Would I qualify for hotel voucher or lounge sleeper area based on inbound class of service or outbound? Next leg - connecting to Lufthansa in Business.
I think the hotel is for TK-TK connections only.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:37 pm

Looking at the site, tour ends at 1100 and my IST-VCE is at 1150.... too risky to go on the tour? Who's responsible if for whatever reason tour is late and I don't make the flight?
Old May 2, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Just some data points for the hotels what I have gotten recently:

Flying J longhaul, Classic Plus status, received Mercure@Pullman (not listed in WIKI)

Flying J longhaul, Classic Plus status, received Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel

Flying Y international shorthaul, Elite status, received Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel
Old May 6, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Originally Posted by GREAKLY
Flying DLM-IST-LED, arriving IST at 9 PM and leaving for LED at 11 AM next day (connection time is 14 hours). There is only one daily IST-LED flight but there are several DLM-IST ones, including a later one, which I could have taken, which would have made the connection time less than 10 hours.

Am I eligible for the free hotel in there were other INCOMING flight options with shorter connection time? I am also a it confused about "international flights" angle. Do both flights have to be international or just one?
Both arriving and departing flights have to be international, and the MINIMUM connection time >10 hours, or 7 hours for J.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:55 pm

Hello All,

Really interested in doing the 0900 - 1800 Istanbul tour.

Anyone know of list of flights inbound to IST from somewhere in Europe that arrives early enough to catch this tour? Currently only ones I've found are the AMS-IST and ATH-IST routes.

Thanks!
Old May 10, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: TK Elite
Flying business class VNO-IST-EZE in Business.

From the time I got to the hotel counter to when I got dropped off at the hotel (Renaissance Marriott), 35 mins went by. I had to wait with the other pax but once everyone was ready, I got scurried to the side in my own shuttle bus. 10 min drive later & here I am.

Room is nice, sea view, sadly twin beds, nothing else available.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
Flying business class VNO-IST-EZE in Business.

From the time I got to the hotel counter to when I got dropped off at the hotel (Renaissance Marriott), 35 mins went by. I had to wait with the other pax but once everyone was ready, I got scurried to the side in my own shuttle bus. 10 min drive later & here I am.

Room is nice, sea view, sadly twin beds, nothing else available.
35mins? That is absolutely fastest ever. My record is some 40 mins, and last time I was 2 hours in total!!! long queue to the desk almost 1 hour and then wait 15mins and then slow path driving and check-in with jackload of people and waiting in line for 1 check-in agent at the hotel...

Anytime the layover is 7-8 hours, I would just go to the lounge and not even bother the immigration&hotel
Old May 11, 2017, 8:48 am

Maybe I got lucky?

I landed at 2PM & hung out at the lounge til 8PM point at which I went to the counter. There were approximately 15 people, most going to Lagos, I was the only J pax. Hopefully I get as lucky on the way back!

PS: Hello from TK15 cruising over the Atlantic, almost at the equator level
Old May 11, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Transit hotel with family

Any recent experiences with the transit hotel for a family?

We'll be three travelling in J. Email to the hotel desk at TK with our itinerary confirms we qualify in both directions, but really no details after that in terms of the actual accommodations, etc.
Old May 11, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by YYJMSP
Any recent experiences with the transit hotel for a family?

We'll be three travelling in J. Email to the hotel desk at TK with our itinerary confirms we qualify in both directions, but really no details after that in terms of the actual accommodations, etc.
Be grateful you got that much from them. I don't think there's ever been a case where TK has told a passenger in advance the details of their actual STPC accommodation. You find out at the hotel desk, and if the agents are in a good mood they will accommodate specific hotel requests.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:25 am

Flew the return leg yesterday of my flight in business from Buenos Aires. Mariott Polat Renaissance.

arrived at the hotel Transit desk at 10:10 p.m. and we were at the hotel at 10:45 p.m. so I rather short wait.

The only issue is that the hotel was completely booked out so I'm not sure why Turkish sent us there. Our choices was either to accept a Garden Room (which I did) Or get booked into another hotel.

Overall on the inbound and the outbound the transit experience was quite positive for business class with less than 15 min wait at the airport both times.
​​​
Old May 19, 2017, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
We will have a 9 hr, 45 minute layover in each direction. Are they firm about the 10hr minimum? If not, is there a specific Priority Pass lounge that you guys would recommend for a short nap?
Don't expect any leniency whatsoever from the hotel desk. I think the staff there are specifically hired Swiss Germans.

Im not familiar with the priority pass lounge situation, but for a layover would recommend just booking a room at a nearby hotel, especially if traveling with others. Rates are low and taxi rides cheap.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by gr8pirate
Don't expect any leniency whatsoever from the hotel desk. I think the staff there are specifically hired Swiss Germans.
You seem to be a person having problems with rules.

Let me tell you something. The reason why Switzerland works so well is because rules are rules indeed here. If Turkey wants to improve, hardly a surprise they copy Swiss efficency.

If you dont like rules, feel free to fly your own airline and make your own rules.
Old May 19, 2017, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
You seem to be a person having problems with rules.

Let me tell you something. The reason why Switzerland works so well is because rules are rules indeed here.
Grüezi!

I find the TK Transfer hotel offer smart and generous and don't have a problem with the rules.

Sorry if I've offended you with my joke.

The Germans get worldwide bad rap for being so square and lacking a sense of humor, but compared to the Swiss Germans they are practically Brazilians.

Fact. Own it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.