Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
How is this enforced if there is a shorter connection (later first flight), but the shorter connection would still qualify for a hotel?

OSL-IST-SFO.

IST-SFO is once per day, 1:05pm departure.
OSL-IST is twice per day, arriving 4:05pm or 10:55pm.

The later arrival clearly qualifies, but does the earlier arrival qualify? I'm guessing that the phrase "However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service" means that the answer is no, but there's at least one example higher up in the thread that says yes. Any recent experience?
Old May 22, 2016, 12:56 am

If you are on the earlier flight you cant use it. You might be able to do the free city tour instead. Hotels in Istanbul are cheap anyway..
Old May 24, 2016, 12:31 am

Another scenario that's relevant for me: There are multiple flights from Cairo to Istanbul, then two flights that day from Istanbul to Sofia. If I take the 3am out of CAI to IST, I can make it in time for the 7:50am connection to Sofia, but I'm taking the 9am and thus have to wait until 7:45pm (~7h30). When I arrive in IST, no earlier departures to SOF will be available. However, a shorter connection is possible if I had taken a completely different schedule. Do I qualify? (C Class)
Old May 24, 2016, 12:56 am

You qualify, as long as there isn't any later flight from CAI which still would make the SOF connection (and there is no earlier flight to SOF, which seems to be the case)

However, you'll only have about 8 hours (during the day) in that case, and none of your flights will be overnight (ie, you get out of bed in CAI in the morning, and reach SOF by night) so maybe using a hotel wouldn't make THAT much sense unless you are still in a different time zone.. please be advised that you'll have to get landside, wait for the shuttle after registration, take the ride, checkin, checkout, taking ride back, etc. - and pickup for the ride back being several hours before departure, meaning you'll most probably only have a few hours in the hotel.
Old May 24, 2016, 4:17 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
I actually don't think you would as you could take an earlier flight in and there by make your connection. But please correct me if I am wrong. I hope I am as I could save a small fortune in the future.
Old May 29, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by docbert
How is this enforced if there is a shorter connection (later first flight), but the shorter connection would still qualify for a hotel?
To answer my own question, no issues at all getting a hotel despite the fact I could have had a shorter (but still overnight) connection by coming in on a later flight.

5 minutes at the hotel desk and I was given the Polat Renaissance. At check-in (as a Marriott Gold) I was given club access and an upgrade to one of their garden rooms by the pool.

All up a good result!
Old May 30, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), DL Gold (MM)
Originally Posted by docbert
To answer my own question, no issues at all getting a hotel despite the fact I could have had a shorter (but still overnight) connection by coming in on a later flight.

5 minutes at the hotel desk and I was given the Polat Renaissance. At check-in (as a Marriott Gold) I was given club access and an upgrade to one of their garden rooms by the pool.

All up a good result!
Good to know, thanks! I am looking at doing something similar later this year, i.e. the shortest connection easily qualifies for a hotel but I would prefer to take a connecting flight from IST that leaves a couple hours after the first available flight so as to be back at the airport at a more reasonable hour in the morning.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:09 am

Flying a CDG-IST-IAH in J. My CDG flight is in the afternoon and it creates about a 20 hr layover in IST. Will I get the free room still or no because in theory could have booked the morning CDG flight to connect to IAH the same day?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:56 am

No, you can't.

Shorter connection available = no free hotel

Not that hotels cost a lot in Istanbul those days anyway..
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:33 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Recent experiences...

Flying in J:

2 x Renaissance Polat (early departure, nice hotel)

1 x Doubletree by Hilton (later departure, great hotel)

1 x Radisson Blue (later departure, AVOID this hotel - outdated rooms, Front Desk employees treating you like the 2nd class citizen)

All shuttles for transfers back to the airport were on time.

Wait time at Airport Hotel Desk - between 2 and 15 minutes.

All in all - great experience.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:13 am

How strict they are with "minimum possible connection" when it takes to a free tour? Same limitations as for the hotel or just appear at the desk and if they have free seats you can be there? Any experience?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:19 am

Couple of questions about the tour option.

I'm arriving from CDG on one of two flights, either getting in at 9 PM or at midnight. Flight leaves to TLV the next evening just after 8, so between roughly 20-23 hours layover.

1. I self-booked a hotel overnight. In the morning, can I just go back to the airport and find the tour desk, or are there restrictions on entering the arrivals area? I've seen that at airports in India and Mexico, for example - once you leave, you can't get back in. I emailed the link on the tour page, and got an answer that seemed to be in the affirmative, but they didn't really answer the question directly and I was hoping to get a definitive answer.

2. Does anyone know if Turkish will check bags through with such a long layover? I'd greatly prefer to stop over with carry-ons only. I'm traveling with the family and will have more luggage than I'd like to deal with for less than a day.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Originally Posted by md125
Couple of questions about the tour option.

I'm arriving from CDG on one of two flights, either getting in at 9 PM or at midnight. Flight leaves to TLV the next evening just after 8, so between roughly 20-23 hours layover.

1. I self-booked a hotel overnight. In the morning, can I just go back to the airport and find the tour desk, or are there restrictions on entering the arrivals area? I've seen that at airports in India and Mexico, for example - once you leave, you can't get back in. I emailed the link on the tour page, and got an answer that seemed to be in the affirmative, but they didn't really answer the question directly and I was hoping to get a definitive answer.

2. Does anyone know if Turkish will check bags through with such a long layover? I'd greatly prefer to stop over with carry-ons only. I'm traveling with the family and will have more luggage than I'd like to deal with for less than a day.
Getting into the arrivals area has not been a problem in the past but I don't know what the situation is now in light of recent events.

Regards your luggage I think the question should be if you feel comfortable leaving it in the care of TK for that long. Seems to be it is just inviting trouble.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by boosh
Getting into the arrivals area has not been a problem in the past but I don't know what the situation is now in light of recent events.

Regards your luggage I think the question should be if you feel comfortable leaving it in the care of TK for that long. Seems to be it is just inviting trouble.
Thanks!

Re: arrivals - Turkish indicated that it wouldn't be an issue, but wouldn't say it in those terms. I guess we'll find out.

Re: luggage - it's really just clothes. Would be nice not to drag a bunch of suitcases around, but I can see your point
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by vitrysk_kille
How strict they are with "minimum possible connection" when it takes to a free tour? Same limitations as for the hotel or just appear at the desk and if they have free seats you can be there? Any experience?
There does not seem to be any minimum connection requirement when it comes to the tour. I emailed them to ask - I am flying in on one day and then taking the last possible flight out the next day that is still within a 24-hour period, with nine or so intermediate flights that I could have taken. They said I'd still qualify for the tour.

Also - the FAQ says they'll run the tour even for one person, or run an extra tour for one extra person, so there doesn't seem to be a capacity issue. I'm guessing that not a whole lot of people show up for any given tour, but I haven't yet gone so have no personal experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.