Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:02 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Do you have to get a visa for the stopover hotel? Or are you permitted fo transit overnight without a visa?
If you are national of a country requiring a visa you will need to get a visa to avail of the TK hotel offer. Alternatively you can book at your own expense the TAV hotel which is airside.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:51 pm

My flight bkk-ist gets in at 5PM and I can't find any flight westbound that has a 7 hour layover, since there are several flights later that same day. Should I assume I'm out of luck and need to go East or I need to reroute to get in closer to midnight?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by iruvmattree
My flight bkk-ist gets in at 5PM and I can't find any flight westbound that has a 7 hour layover, since there are several flights later that same day. Should I assume I'm out of luck and need to go East or I need to reroute to get in closer to midnight?
If your layover is 4-7 hrs.and you are in J or E+ you would be eligible for one of the suites in the CIP lounge ! ?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:03 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile Instanbul Tour during Layover

Oh Wise TK Flyertalkers,

I am interested in joining one of the TK sponsored tours of Istanbul.

Here is my itinerary:

Two Separate Tickets (I am a UA 1K *G)

ORD-YYZ-IST Air Canada Metal, UA Ticket in Business Class arr IST 9:30am

IST-BAH Turkish Air Metal UA Ticket (separate ticket) Business Class departing IST, same day, 8:30pm.

I see that the Tour Program pertains to pure TK thru tickets connecting in IST. However, my question, does TK offer the tour (for free or at a promotional cost) to Star Alliance Elite members arriving on Star Alliance Business Class and connecting to TK business class service ?

Your kind replies and insight are appreciated.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:07 am

Hi FTers,

long time lurker/positng first time.

My wife and I are flying Berlin-IST-Singapore in 700-->1050 AM then connecting out IST at 120 AM next day.

There are shorter flights out of IST--Singapore, some less than 10 hours, however we bought it as part of some orbitz deal.

From your experiences, would we still qualify for the free tour (that my wife is super excited about)?

Thanks for your help.

- Pistol Pete
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:43 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Hi FTers,

long time lurker/positng first time.

My wife and I are flying Berlin-IST-Singapore in 700-->1050 AM then connecting out IST at 120 AM next day.

There are shorter flights out of IST--Singapore, some less than 10 hours, however we bought it as part of some orbitz deal.

From your experiences, would we still qualify for the free tour (that my wife is super excited about)?
All international transit passengers who have flight through İstanbul can attend touristanbul.
Both flights should be with Turkish Airlines' flight numbers (codeshared or operated) Connection times between flights should not be longer than 24 hours and shorter than 6 hours.
Passengers may not get both accomodation service and Touristanbul on the same journey.
If you prefer accomodation, you may contact with our hoteldesk for terms and conditions ([email protected]). They will inform you that your booking is eligible or not.
http://http://www.istanbulinhours.com/how-to-apply
Old May 11, 2015, 2:35 pm

Latest news on TK overnight stay?

Greetings folks, my first post here:

My family is traveling to Romania (Constanta) from Houston via Istanbul (overnight stay) in early June and I have been trying to get an e-mail response from the TK Hotel Desk unsuccessfully. They have not responded to two of my e-mails. I wanted to get re-assurances that everything will be ok.

Right now I called the Turkish Airlines customer service (800 #) and the rep said that there is not a possibility of a hotel choice even if one is willing to pay his own way to the hotel. He said that the hotel will be in the airport (no need for visa). Not sure what does this mean. Also he could not give me an e-mail and/or phone number for the TK Hotel Desk.

So any thoughts on this please? What's the latest on this policy for recent travelers through IST with more than 10 hours layover? Do you still need a visa from the US for US citizens?

Very appreciative of any feedback.
Old May 11, 2015, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Tikal
Greetings folks, my first post here:

My family is traveling to Romania (Constanta) from Houston via Istanbul (overnight stay) in early June and I have been trying to get an e-mail response from the TK Hotel Desk unsuccessfully. They have not responded to two of my e-mails. I wanted to get re-assurances that everything will be ok.

Right now I called the Turkish Airlines customer service (800 #) and the rep said that there is not a possibility of a hotel choice even if one is willing to pay his own way to the hotel. He said that the hotel will be in the airport (no need for visa). Not sure what does this mean. Also he could not give me an e-mail and/or phone number for the TK Hotel Desk.

So any thoughts on this please? What's the latest on this policy for recent travelers through IST with more than 10 hours layover? Do you still need a visa from the US for US citizens?

Very appreciative of any feedback.
What is your EXACT routing? both TK flights?

I thought the reply above you and this link should explains itself already
http://www.istanbulinhours.com/how-to-apply

TK isn't the easiest/greatest on communication, so you'll find out at IST desk

Yes you need a VISA, it'll cost $20 USD for US Citizen for e-Visa (sigh, $60 USD for CANADIAN passport, such a ripoff)
Old May 11, 2015, 3:32 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. The itinerary going outbound is as follows:

IAH-IST 20:35 - 16:20 (next day)
IST-CND 12:40 - 15:05 (two days after departure from Houston)

Originally Posted by jerryhung
What is your EXACT routing? both TK flights?

I thought the reply above you and this link should explains itself already
http://www.istanbulinhours.com/how-to-apply

TK isn't the easiest/greatest on communication, so you'll find out at IST desk

Yes you need a VISA, it'll cost $20 USD for US Citizen for e-Visa (sigh, $60 USD for CANADIAN passport, such a ripoff)
Old May 11, 2015, 9:06 pm

jerryhung, sorry I must clarify that the itinerary from Houston to Constanta via IST is all on TK. Also my inquiry is about the hotel stay, NOT the tours in Istanbul
Old May 12, 2015, 6:50 am

Sorry I misread it, but then the #1 post and TK's own link is the guideline for you to use
http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...rvice-requests

Layover of 10 hours for Y or 7+ hours for J pax
1. Do You Provide Accommodation Services at Transit Locations to Passengers Who Have Connecting Flights?
A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation. For further information, please call +90 212 4440849.
You need a VISA though for hotel
Old May 14, 2015, 1:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
is there a current list hotels that people have gotten?

Is it possible to choose the hotel/hotel location?

I have an overnight layover from lisbon, arrive at 6pm, depart at 6pm the next day and i think i may qualify. however, i'd rather stay in istambul as it's my first time to turkey and i'd like to see more than just the airport!
Old May 14, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by bbmatt
Is it possible to choose the hotel/hotel location?
I don't think you can have a say on which hotel to pick.
You just getting hoarded in the first batch upon arrival at the complimentary desk.
Mine was right at the end of a runway, 10 min. shuttle from IST. (Radisson for what I recall).
Old May 14, 2015, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
I remember somewhere saying that if there is an earlier connection flight available for the passenger, but this specific passenger is booked on a later connection flight which makes a 10+ hour stopover, no hotel is offered. Is this true? For example, if my ticket is Moscow-Istanbul arriving 4pm, and then instead of connecting to the 18:20 flight (TK11) , i am connecting to the next morning flight (TK3) - is a hotel offered? Does it make a difference why my flight was booked that way - If because cheaper, then no hotel, if because no availability on earlier flight, yes hotel?

Thanks.
Old May 14, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
I don't think you can have a say on which hotel to pick.
You just getting hoarded in the first batch upon arrival at the complimentary desk.
Mine was right at the end of a runway, 10 min. shuttle from IST. (Radisson for what I recall).
are all the hotels around the airport? if they are, i'm tempted to just book a hotel in town instead so i can get more of a feel of the city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.