Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines corporate partners and will be provided through the Hotel Desk located after the customs check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor most common)
Akgn Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisorcommon far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisorcommon - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:13 am

Wondering if I have access for the tour on an upcoming trip:

SQ392 SIN-IST arriving 7:25am
TK1829 IST-CDG departing 7:10pm

This is on an award ticket from another airline, but would I be eligible for the Istanbul tour because SQ392, although operated by Singapore, is also codeshared with Turkish as TK7901? I'm TK Elite & flying business on both legs, if that helps. Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:12 am

hotel and visits

Hi

We will arrive to Istanbul at 3:30 PM december 10th 2014
and take another flight tomorrow at 8:30 AM

Can we visit some places in Istanbul ?
Which Hotel is the best if we are lucky to have it by TK?

what to visit from 5 PM at Istanbul in december?

Thanks
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by malik11
Hi

We will arrive to Istanbul at 3:30 PM december 10th 2014
and take another flight tomorrow at 8:30 AM

Can we visit some places in Istanbul ?
Which Hotel is the best if we are lucky to have it by TK?

what to visit from 5 PM at Istanbul in december?

Thanks
Browsing this thread will reveal a number of hotels used by TK, some at the airport and some not. But, asking "which is best" is a bit futile, as I think you're pretty much stuck with the one they issue you.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:01 pm

Hi everyone,
just a quick question on the free hotel stay and whether we are eligible.
We will fly from HAM to IST on a late evening flight, arriving at 10pm in Istanbul. We will take a connecting flight to Kigali on the next day, leaving IST at 6:40pm.
So this means we have a lot of layover, more than enough for the 10h requirement. BUT if we would fly earlier from HAM to IST, we could catch the later day connecting flight.
In short: there is a faster connection HAM => KIG, but NOT with the first leg HAM => IST that we chose. Do you think we are eligible for the hotel stay?
Thanks and best wishes!
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Not eligible for hotel, since there's an earlier connection of 3,20 hrs.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 4:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by milepig
Browsing this thread will reveal a number of hotels used by TK, some at the airport and some not. But, asking "which is best" is a bit futile, as I think you're pretty much stuck with the one they issue you.
You are NOT stuck with the one they issue you,if you are willing to pay the 10-15 TL it costs to take a taxi to the closer hotels, they will let you do that. They alocate hotels in order to fill the minibus.I ALWAYS do this,it ALWAYS works,this saves hours and costs very little,if not you can wait a long time going to the hotel,and you will have to leave the hotel abouth 3 hrs prior to your flight. If you have a nighttime layower with a morning conection,ask for the Wyndham,its realy close and nice,the Radisson is also realy close,but so and so.

BTW : Even checking in is a lot faster,since your on your own,and DO give a half decent tip to the driver,theese fares are not the ones they are dreaming abouth and I know you would not believe me if I told you the price of a taxi licence in IST !!

Last edited by geirfugl; Nov 29, 2014 at 4:32 am
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:38 am

My experience last sunday.
This the queue at the hotel desk.

Few minutes later it arrived nearly at the terminal doors.

Basically boarding passes are hoarded, does not matter who arrives first at the desk, presumably until a X number is reached.

Afterwards passengers are requested to wait, standing besides Starbucks. There are no seats at all in that part of the airport.

After 25 minutes a TK representative showed up, with the stack of BPs, shouting pax names one by one, and eventually asking everybody to follow him at the bus pick-up bay.

Our group consisted of circa 70 people, splitted up in a coach and 2 vans.
5 minutes later we all were at Radisson Blu Conference & Airport, one of the best options in the IST area.

At the hotel, all the guests forms were handed to the desk clerks, who invited the party to seat and wait for our name to be called.
It goes without saying that with just two employees processing all of us it took forever.
Now luckily I wasn't coming from a long haul, but few folks literally have fallen asleep on the reception's sofas.
I was informed that no dinner and breakfast was included in the deal.
No problem, the surrounding area of Radisson bursts of eateries, shops, vendors etc.

Overall time from the incoming IST flight to room key, 3 hours and 10 minutes (immigration via fast track included).

Had my stopover been the minimum legal TK provides, the experience would have been worthless.

Don't get me wrong, TK provides a generous service, which is nothing than commendable. They even outshined EK, whose terms to complimentary hotel room have been restricted over time.
What it takes IMHO is just mere organization. This area perfectly reflects the congestion of IST, but it's something could be improved almost overnight, with limited resources, focusing on spaces and staffing, now inadequate.

Found myself thinking that next time I'd rather pay €50 for a (less fancy) hotel that provides a pick-up service, just for the relief of an easy walk out experience.

Last edited by Forrest Bump; Dec 2, 2014 at 2:57 am Reason: resizing pics
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: SPG Plat, M&M SEN
Originally Posted by geirfugl
You are NOT stuck with the one they issue you,if you are willing to pay the 10-15 TL it costs to take a taxi to the closer hotels, they will let you do that.
Could you please elaborate on that a bit more? So following your scenario I have to queue at the hotel desk and then ask for the available hotels / pick whatever I fancy from the ones mentioned in this thread, then tell them that I don't need a transfer and I would be given the voucher immediately/won't have to wait for the van?

I will be using the service twice - first time just for overnight stay to get on a plane the following morning (I'd like to stay close to the airport). Second time on the way back, with overnight stay and late afternoon connection (I'd like to stay as close to the historic center as possible). Are there any hotels that you'd recommend for those two options?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cello
Could you please elaborate on that a bit more? So following your scenario I have to queue at the hotel desk and then ask for the available hotels / pick whatever I fancy from the ones mentioned in this thread, then tell them that I don't need a transfer and I would be given the voucher immediately/won't have to wait for the van?

I will be using the service twice - first time just for overnight stay to get on a plane the following morning (I'd like to stay close to the airport). Second time on the way back, with overnight stay and late afternoon connection (I'd like to stay as close to the historic center as possible). Are there any hotels that you'd recommend for those two options?
Yes. They give you a voucher to give to the hotel and basically send you on your way,obviously there has to be availability at the hotel,but,thats it. For staying at the airport the Wyndham is good,its very close,but there is absolutely nothing,except a small shopping center around it,the Radisson is also very close,but not so good (a bit run down,its the worst hotel Ive ever been given,but I think it has a indoor pool). They both give you a nice breakfast bufet.For the historic center,Im not sure which hotels they use as it does not realy interest me.I think there is a Hilton they use thats at least close to the Sulthanahmet/Kapali carsi area,but I would think that they would tend to use hotels closer to Taksim(more chain hotels),the Sulthanahmet area is sort of "boutique hotel-land".
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
This the queue at the hotel desk.

Few minutes later it arrived nearly at the terminal doors.

Basically boarding passes are hoarded, does not matter who arrives first at the desk, presumably until a X number is reached.

Afterwards passengers are requested to wait, standing besides Starbucks. There are no seats at all in that part of the airport.

After 25 minutes a TK representative showed up, with the stack of BPs, shouting pax names one by one, and eventually asking everybody to follow him at the bus pick-up bay.

Our group consisted of circa 70 people, splitted up in a coach and 2 vans.
5 minutes later we all were at Radisson Blu Conference & Airport, one of the best options in the IST area.

At the hotel, all the guests forms were handed to the desk clerks, who invited the party to seat and wait for our name to be called.
It goes without saying that with just two employees processing all of us it took forever.
Now luckily I wasn't coming from a long haul, but few folks literally have fallen asleep on the reception's sofas.
I was informed that no dinner and breakfast was included in the deal.
No problem, the surrounding area of Radisson bursts of eateries, shops, vendors etc.

Overall time from the incoming IST flight to room key, 3 hours and 10 minutes (immigration via fast track included).

Had my stopover been the minimum legal TK provides, the experience would have been worthless.

Don't get me wrong, TK provides a generous service, which is nothing than commendable. They even outshined EK, whose terms to complimentary hotel room have been restricted over time.
What it takes IMHO is just mere organization. This area perfectly reflects the congestion of IST, but it's something could be improved almost overnight, with limited resources, focusing on spaces and staffing, now inadequate.

Found myself thinking that next time I'd rather pay €50 for a (less fancy) hotel that provides a pick-up service, just for the relief of an easy walk out experience.
Sorry,there are certainly 50 euro hotels near IST,Yenibosna hotels are probably closest,but they do not provide a pick up service,however a cab is abouth 4-5 euro and some are even reachable by 2 metro stops.Theese are basic hotels,but servicable for a night. You could use the Courtyard by Marriot,it would generally,but not always be a bit more,they do have a shuttle,and its much nicer than the independent cheapies that can be somewhat weird in decoration and so on!!

Last edited by geirfugl; Dec 3, 2014 at 12:49 am
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by geirfugl
Sorry,there are certainly 50 euro hotels near IST,Yenibosna hotels are probably closest,but they do not provide a pick up service,however a cab is abouth 4-5 euro and some are even reachable by 2 metro stops.Theese are basic hotels,but servicable for a night. You could use the Courtyard by Marriot,it would generally,but not always be a bit more,they do have a shuttle,and its much nicer than the independent cheapies that can be somewhat weird in decoration and so on!!
On booking.com I figured a handful of second tier airport hotels with the shuttle pickup service, even at €40. But of course, paying a meager few euros out of pocket won't hurt.
Last August had to overnight at IST at my expense, due a separate ongoing ticket with SQ, and the Holiday Inn at €46 with pickup included was an amazing deal.
Room was equivalent, if not better, than the Radisson one.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Overall time from the incoming IST flight to room key, 3 hours and 10 minutes (immigration via fast track included)
Is this total time exceptional, or is this the norm? If the norm, I probably just won't bother for my barely-compliant transfer time. This would give me only a couple hours in the room before I'd need to start back.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 10:25 am

Is this total time exceptional, or is this the norm? If the norm, I probably just won't bother for my barely-compliant transfer time. This would give me only a couple hours in the room before I'd need to start back.
It was my first and only experience with TK hotel.
Generally try to avoid overnight connections.
All in all I felt also lucky, cause the line after handed my BP over the counter kept growing worryingly. No point to go through this ordeal on a 7h transit, specially if you you are entitled to lounge access.

Not sure being sunday may have something to do. What I noticed was a fairly large group homeward from Nepal.
Furthermore the Elite/Elite Plus/Business fast track to immigration is manned by just one Officer, and the regular line seemed to take forever.
Crew, pilots and diplomats are not exempt: they too were stuck in their line for not less than half an hour.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, CC Gold, IHG Gold
3.5 hours is definitely not the norm. Personally, I haven't had to wait *that* long ever. But with that said, it's also never been super-quick. Unless you get really lucky and there's no queue + you get to the hotel desk right before they finish a batch then it will still take at least 15 minutes for them to call out the names and gather everybody together, then anywhere between 10 minutes to half an hour to get you to the hotel (some of their hotels are rather far from the airport, which is especially annoying during rush hours), and then another 10-30 minutes at the reception.

Your shuttle back is typically quite early. It looks like they want you to be at the airport at least 2.5 hours before your scheduled departure but this can easily be longer as the shuttles only run on full hours.

So all in all - definitely not worth it unless you have a 10+ hour connection.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:42 pm
Suspended

On booking.com I figured a handful of second tier airport hotels with the shuttle pickup service, even at €40. But of course, paying a meager few euros out of pocket won't hurt.
Last August had to overnight at IST at my expense, due a separate ongoing ticket with SQ, and the Holiday Inn at €46 with pickup included was an amazing deal.
Room was equivalent, if not better, than the Radisson one.
Those would be shuttles with a surcharge,which would be rather more than a taxi and substantially less convenient than a taxi,since it takes 1 minute to get a taxi at IST.

BTW : It certainly does not take much for the room to be better than the Radisson,I found mine bordering on delipidated,although the common areas are fine.The best price I have had at the Courtyard,which has nice rooms, was 39 Euro,with shuttle,but that is not realy representative.

Last edited by geirfugl; Dec 4, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.