Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
Update 14 July 2013: Recent reports indicate the unofficial status match programme is running smoothly again. TK will only match Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus and Oneworld Emerald members. Other, more exotic, gold card holders are out of luck. Please report your experience in this thread.

Please note that the email address no longer works. The only way to contact TK is now via the website
Print Wikipost

FAQ 7: TK status match (2013)

Old Jan 3, 2013, 1:36 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum

TK does operate a discretionary status match programme. The rules are not published and and there is no right to a status match.

The status match is a recent development and consistency does not always seem to be the case. If you are gold/platinum/emerald or have any other shiny elite card it is worth trying.

Unusually for a *A carrier TK seem to be matching other Star Alliance Golds and not just Oneworld or Sky Team elites.

They are not matching to mid level i.e. classic plus (Star Alliance Silver) or non alliance carriers (such as Emirates, Etihad etc.).

How to match:

Send an webmail requesting a match and include a PDF of your latest account statement and a picture of your card.

Note that the process can take anything from one to more than four weeks (or much longer).

In some cases patience will be rewarded but you may need to remind them if you have not heard in 4 weeks. Call centre staff know nothing about the status match so no point in calling.

Card dispatch:

There are conflicting experiences about the dispatch of the card pack. Some FTs have been told that the card will only be sent out once your credit some miles (any miles) to your Miles & Smiles account. Others received it without.

If you have been matched but not yet received the card and happen to pass through IST you can pick up the card at the M&S helpdesk in IST. (see this post for a slightly blurry pic of the card booth)

Please post successful/unsuccessful status matches below. Last year's thread might give you an idea how the status match works as well: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turki...ch-2012-a.html

Last edited by starflyergold; Mar 19, 2013 at 1:07 am
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:21 am

I'll be the 1st one in this thread..

I'm curios if anyone tried to match from DL Gold ( from status match challenge) to TK.
I've got 3 month gold status from DL.

Can I use that to be matched to TK?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 5:29 am
formerly danblar

Tried a couple of times, however each time I get an email replying that I need to attach a scan of my card and statements, irrespective of the fact that I already did in all previous correspondence. Such a tiring process!

But it's worth the 2 years *G status, given that I won't be re-qualifying for NZ GE in 6 months.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:27 am
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by ehud
I'll be the 1st one in this thread..

I'm curios if anyone tried to match from DL Gold ( from status match challenge) to TK.
I've got 3 month gold status from DL.

Can I use that to be matched to TK?
As DL Gold equates to Elite Plus on Sky Team it should be possible.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: *G, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Early November last year, I was on the phone with TK MilesAndSmiles customer service ironing my missing MileagePlus credit from flying TK to KUL. At the end of long conversation, she mentioned about TK Status Match on UA Premiere Gold.
Following her instruction, I sent email to [email protected] and screenshot of my UA Gold and part of the account statement which shows the progress bar and mileage.
Christmas came early as 5 weeks later, the package arrived with the card and 2 gold luggage tags. Expiration date shows till Dec 2014... ^ ^

Note: I do not have any miles in TK account
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:47 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vtewr08
Early November last year, I was on the phone with TK MilesAndSmiles customer service ironing my missing MileagePlus credit from flying TK to KUL. At the end of long conversation, she mentioned about TK Status Match on UA Premiere Gold.
Following her instruction, I sent email to [email protected] and screenshot of my UA Gold and part of the account statement which shows the progress bar and mileage.
Christmas came early as 5 weeks later, the package arrived with the card and 2 gold luggage tags. Expiration date shows till Dec 2014... ^ ^

Note: I do not have any miles in TK account
TK doesn't fly to KUL (they did, and might again, but don't currently).
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
As DL Gold equates to Elite Plus on Sky Team it should be possible.
Depends, but you should try for a field report first.

As it's discretionary, and you are sending a statement, they may be looking for meaningful flight activity of some nature... And not some previously matched status with no flights.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 3:43 am

Programs: TK elite plus, Flying Blue platinum, ALL gold, IHG diamond
Using my FB platinum, I've requested a status match last week. Still waiting for a reply. Good thing I have A3 gold as well, as I'm flying to IST this week-end and don't wanna miss out on that great TK lounge there.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: SK EBD, AY Plat, Member TG,LH,UA,AC
Finally, the end of the process for me:

Sent out the first email for matching in Nov and once again two weeks after
Got matched on Dec 10 (about a month afte the first email)
Got card today on Jan 4, 2013 (almost a month after got matched)

Thank you for all your support
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have sent them a status match request about a week ago, based on my FB Platinum for Life and BA Gold membership levels.

Shall post the outcome here.

Johan
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
TK doesn't fly to KUL (they did, and might again, but don't currently).
They do but under codeshare with Malaysia Airlines. Things might change beyond Feb 1, 2013 when MH joins Oneworld.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
How does one reach a live person at Miles and Smiles. I called the number on the website, gave the automated response my MilesandSmiles # and all I got were automated options.

Maybe I didn't call at the right time?

My issue is they must have the email address wrong as when I joined, I didn't get an activation link.

Any thoughts?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just started the process for my wife and I. We're both UA 1Ks and AA Exec Plats (the AA status is based on a match). I submitted the AA cards for the Turkish match.

My reason for applying is to get USA Star lounge access for domestic flights. We don't currently pay for membership in the United Club. If TK approves us, won't I need a physical card to get into the UA clubs? It's sounds like they usually do send a card, but if they don't, would that be a problem for me? Is there a way for UA and US to look up my TK status? I have no intention to actually credit my miles to TK, unless somebody tells me there's an attractive reason to do so.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:52 pm
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by iahphx
My reason for applying is to get USA Star lounge access for domestic flights. ..... I have no intention to actually credit my miles to TK
Well at least that is clear....
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:49 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by iahphx
I just started the process for my wife and I. We're both UA 1Ks and AA Exec Plats (the AA status is based on a match). I submitted the AA cards for the Turkish match.

My reason for applying is to get USA Star lounge access for domestic flights. We don't currently pay for membership in the United Club. If TK approves us, won't I need a physical card to get into the UA clubs? It's sounds like they usually do send a card, but if they don't, would that be a problem for me? Is there a way for UA and US to look up my TK status? I have no intention to actually credit my miles to TK, unless somebody tells me there's an attractive reason to do so.
I received my card six weeks after getting TK*G'd, and that's without crediting a flight.

There have been mixed reports of people getting into lounges with a print-out of the card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.