Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Sign in using an external account

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 14, 13, 4:17 am   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: FAQ 7: TK status match (2013)
Please read: this is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.
 
Last edit by: starflyergold

Update 14 July 2013: Recent reports indicate the unofficial status match programme is running smoothly again. TK will only match Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus and Oneworld Emerald members. Other, more exotic, gold card holders are out of luck. Please report your experience in this thread.

Please note that the email address no longer works. The only way to contact TK is now via the website


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 3, 13, 1:36 am   #1
Moderator, Aer Lingus Gold Circle Club, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dublin
Programs: TK*G, A3*G, EI Gold Circle Prestige, BA Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,745
FAQ 7: TK status match (2013)



FAQ 7: TK status match (2013)


TK does operate a discretionary status match programme. The rules are not published and and there is no right to a status match.

The status match is a recent development and consistency does not always seem to be the case. If you are gold/platinum/emerald or have any other shiny elite card it is worth trying.

Unusually for a *A carrier TK seem to be matching other Star Alliance Golds and not just Oneworld or Sky Team elites.

They are not matching to mid level i.e. classic plus (Star Alliance Silver) or non alliance carriers (such as Emirates, Etihad etc.).

How to match:

Sign up to Miles & Smiles (unless you already have an account)

Send an webmail requesting a match and include a PDF of your latest account statement and a picture of your card.

Note that the process can take anything from one to more than four weeks (or much longer).

In some cases patience will be rewarded but you may need to remind them if you have not heard in 4 weeks. Call centre staff know nothing about the status match so no point in calling.

Card dispatch:

There are conflicting experiences about the dispatch of the card pack. Some FTs have been told that the card will only be sent out once your credit some miles (any miles) to your Miles & Smiles account. Others received it without.

If you have been matched but not yet received the card and happen to pass through IST you can pick up the card at the M&S helpdesk in IST. (see this post for a slightly blurry pic of the card booth)



Please post successful/unsuccessful status matches below. Last year's thread might give you an idea how the status match works as well: FAQ 7: TK status match (2012)

Last edited by starflyergold; Mar 19, 13 at 1:07 am..
starflyergold is offline  
Old Jan 3, 13, 4:21 am   #2
 
Join Date: May 2005
Programs: SPG Platinum HHonors Gold Hyatt Diamond PC Platinum LH FTL
Posts: 1,020
I'll be the 1st one in this thread..

I'm curios if anyone tried to match from DL Gold ( from status match challenge) to TK.
I've got 3 month gold status from DL.

Can I use that to be matched to TK?
ehud is offline  
Old Jan 3, 13, 5:29 am   #3
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: JFK
Programs: EK IO ✈ UA GS ✈ AA EXP
Posts: 228
Tried a couple of times, however each time I get an email replying that I need to attach a scan of my card and statements, irrespective of the fact that I already did in all previous correspondence. Such a tiring process!

But it's worth the 2 years *G status, given that I won't be re-qualifying for NZ GE in 6 months.
danblar is offline  
Old Jan 3, 13, 6:27 am   #4
Moderator, Aer Lingus Gold Circle Club, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dublin
Programs: TK*G, A3*G, EI Gold Circle Prestige, BA Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehud View Post
I'll be the 1st one in this thread..

I'm curios if anyone tried to match from DL Gold ( from status match challenge) to TK.
I've got 3 month gold status from DL.

Can I use that to be matched to TK?
As DL Gold equates to Elite Plus on Sky Team it should be possible.
starflyergold is offline  
Old Jan 3, 13, 9:46 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: EWR
Programs: *G, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 31
Early November last year, I was on the phone with TK MilesAndSmiles customer service ironing my missing MileagePlus credit from flying TK to KUL. At the end of long conversation, she mentioned about TK Status Match on UA Premiere Gold.
Following her instruction, I sent email to customermiles@thy.com and screenshot of my UA Gold and part of the account statement which shows the progress bar and mileage.
Christmas came early as 5 weeks later, the package arrived with the card and 2 gold luggage tags. Expiration date shows till Dec 2014...

Note: I do not have any miles in TK account
vtewr08 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 13, 12:47 am   #6
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: @BuildingMyBento
Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Transjakarta Platinum
Posts: 2,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtewr08 View Post
Early November last year, I was on the phone with TK MilesAndSmiles customer service ironing my missing MileagePlus credit from flying TK to KUL. At the end of long conversation, she mentioned about TK Status Match on UA Premiere Gold.
Following her instruction, I sent email to customermiles@thy.com and screenshot of my UA Gold and part of the account statement which shows the progress bar and mileage.
Christmas came early as 5 weeks later, the package arrived with the card and 2 gold luggage tags. Expiration date shows till Dec 2014...

Note: I do not have any miles in TK account
TK doesn't fly to KUL (they did, and might again, but don't currently).
BuildingMyBento is offline  
Old Jan 4, 13, 12:55 am   #7
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyergold View Post
As DL Gold equates to Elite Plus on Sky Team it should be possible.
Depends, but you should try for a field report first.

As it's discretionary, and you are sending a statement, they may be looking for meaningful flight activity of some nature... And not some previously matched status with no flights.
johndoe123 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 13, 3:43 am   #8
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: BRU
Programs: Miles & Bonus Gold - Flying Blue Platinum - Le club Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 93
Using my FB platinum, I've requested a status match last week. Still waiting for a reply. Good thing I have A3 gold as well, as I'm flying to IST this week-end and don't wanna miss out on that great TK lounge there.
elpiett is offline  
Old Jan 4, 13, 6:53 am   #9
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Programs: TG ROP silver, LH M&M basic, UA MP basic, OZ AC *Gold, TK M&S *Gold, SK EBG
Posts: 19
Finally, the end of the process for me:

Sent out the first email for matching in Nov and once again two weeks after
Got matched on Dec 10 (about a month afte the first email)
Got card today on Jan 4, 2013 (almost a month after got matched)

Thank you for all your support
coolburning is offline  
Old Jan 4, 13, 11:48 am   #10
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 7,981
Have sent them a status match request about a week ago, based on my FB Platinum for Life and BA Gold membership levels.

Shall post the outcome here.

Johan
johan rebel is offline  
Old Jan 4, 13, 5:22 pm   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: YVR. Now@ MAN.
Programs: *A-G | 1W-E | ST-E+ | HL-GO | *W-GO | HY-PL
Posts: 22,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
TK doesn't fly to KUL (they did, and might again, but don't currently).
They do but under codeshare with Malaysia Airlines. Things might change beyond Feb 1, 2013 when MH joins Oneworld.
Guy Betsy is offline  
Old Jan 5, 13, 2:03 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thousand Oaks, Ca., USA
Programs: AA Ex Plat; SPG Plat; MR Plat;Hyatt Plat; HHonors gold
Posts: 3,101
How does one reach a live person at Miles and Smiles. I called the number on the website, gave the automated response my MilesandSmiles # and all I got were automated options.

Maybe I didn't call at the right time?

My issue is they must have the email address wrong as when I joined, I didn't get an activation link.

Any thoughts?
beachfan is offline  
Old Jan 8, 13, 12:04 pm   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 12,166
I just started the process for my wife and I. We're both UA 1Ks and AA Exec Plats (the AA status is based on a match). I submitted the AA cards for the Turkish match.

My reason for applying is to get USA Star lounge access for domestic flights. We don't currently pay for membership in the United Club. If TK approves us, won't I need a physical card to get into the UA clubs? It's sounds like they usually do send a card, but if they don't, would that be a problem for me? Is there a way for UA and US to look up my TK status? I have no intention to actually credit my miles to TK, unless somebody tells me there's an attractive reason to do so.
iahphx is offline  
Old Jan 8, 13, 2:52 pm   #14
Moderator, Aer Lingus Gold Circle Club, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dublin
Programs: TK*G, A3*G, EI Gold Circle Prestige, BA Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
My reason for applying is to get USA Star lounge access for domestic flights. ..... I have no intention to actually credit my miles to TK
Well at least that is clear....
starflyergold is offline  
Old Jan 8, 13, 8:49 pm   #15
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: @BuildingMyBento
Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Transjakarta Platinum
Posts: 2,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
I just started the process for my wife and I. We're both UA 1Ks and AA Exec Plats (the AA status is based on a match). I submitted the AA cards for the Turkish match.

My reason for applying is to get USA Star lounge access for domestic flights. We don't currently pay for membership in the United Club. If TK approves us, won't I need a physical card to get into the UA clubs? It's sounds like they usually do send a card, but if they don't, would that be a problem for me? Is there a way for UA and US to look up my TK status? I have no intention to actually credit my miles to TK, unless somebody tells me there's an attractive reason to do so.
I received my card six weeks after getting TK*G'd, and that's without crediting a flight.

There have been mixed reports of people getting into lounges with a print-out of the card.
BuildingMyBento is offline  
 
 
Closed Thread

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:09 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.