Lost Baggage Question

Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton HHonors
Lost Baggage Question

I have a couple of questions regarding how the lost baggage process is handled by TK.

Last Thursday I flew on TK 8 from IAD to IST and then onwards on TK 710 to ISB reaching ISB on the 24th. The ticket was bought online on tk.com. I had checked in my luggage at IAD and was to be recieve it in ISB. When I arrived in ISB, I couldn't find my luggage at baggage claim so I started looking for someone from TK to lodge a lost luggage report. Apparenlty, TK has contracted some Pakistani firm that handles all the luggage for them at ISB. I was able to get hold of someone and he gave me a hand written report and I was told to call them when the next flight from IST arrives. It arrived today so I called the number provided and the gentleman on the phone told me that they still did not get my luggage and to call again when the next flight (on Thursday) arrives.

I'm only here for a week and half, leaving on the 4th to go back to States and I really would like to know what the heck happened to my suitcase. It had gifts for my family here that cost me a lot plus most of my personal belongings like clothes, electric shaver, cologne, etc. I only carried one set of spare clothes and my tooth brush in my hand carry. Even though I have family here, my house's is in Washington DC. I will have to buy extra clothes which I didn't have any plans before but now have to because of this issue. Also, it's a nice Samsonite suitcase that I hate to never see it again.

My question is, in case the suitcase doesn't show up even in the next flight, how can I get hold of someone at TK to know what the next steps are? It has never happened to me before so I'm not sure what to do here. I've tried calling the local TK office here in Islamabad but they are of no help. Would I be entitled of any compensation if they can't find the luggage at all and if so, how much? Also, can I file for the reimbursement for some of the personal stuff that I'd have to buy here to get by?

I'll appreciate any help I can get here.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:14 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
No reason to panic yet, overall luggage rarely disappears completely.

Have you tracked it yet? http://www4.thy.com/baggage/start.tk?lang=e

As with all airlines, you will be allowed to buy some essential personal items and some clothes and then charge it to TK. In the unlikely event it is completely lost normal compensation rules apply. Details are here: http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in.../baggege-delay

Your travel insurance will cover any value in excess of the airline compensation should the baggage be completely lost.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Yes, I did try the lost baggage tracker website but I keep gettin the following when I enter my surname and reference number. I am guessing the reference number is the tag number (starting with TK followed by 6 numeric digits) for the lost bag.

Track Baggage; just making for Turkish Airlines lost baggage reports. Please check 1. reference field.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:05 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by amrsid
Yes, I did try the lost baggage tracker website but I keep gettin the following when I enter my surname and reference number. I am guessing the reference number is the tag number (starting with TK followed by 6 numeric digits) for the lost bag.

Track Baggage; just making for Turkish Airlines lost baggage reports. Please check 1. reference field.
AFAIK the format of the tracking number is AAABBNNNNN, where AAA is the Airport code, BB is the airline code, and NNNNN is a 5 digit tracking number. For example ISTTK19666.

The tracking number should be on your PIR(Property Irregularity Report).
Old Dec 20, 2012, 4:38 am
Original Poster

So just a quick update..... It's been almost a month since my checked has been missing and TK is still investigating. Every time I ask for an update, I get the same "we are working very hard to locate your bag" reply. I've started the process of filing the claim with my travel insurance but that only gets applied after whatever the airline compensates.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: US, Delta, and United Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by amrsid
So just a quick update..... It's been almost a month since my checked has been missing and TK is still investigating. Every time I ask for an update, I get the same "we are working very hard to locate your bag" reply. I've started the process of filing the claim with my travel insurance but that only gets applied after whatever the airline compensates.
Just saw this thread, and good luck with it. Earlier this year, one of my parents' luggage did not make it to the connection after IAD-IST flight. It took many days to figure out whether the piece stayed in IAD, or in IST before the local connection flight. And only after a couple of threads to call the police to confiscate the video of the underbelly of the airplane in the local station they magically found the luggage (this was on the sixth day).

And the worst case is, neither in the local station, or in IST we could not find anyone to talk about, or to ask about tracking. Only after I was able to talk someone in IAD, and they sent me the fax of a screen capture showing the luggage was loaded to the second flight things started to work.

I wish the best..
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:08 am

Turkish Airline - Lost Baggage - My experience

For us; while travelling CHICAGO-ISTANBUL-ABU DHABI on Turkish Airlines; we didn't receive our 02 bags at Abu Dhabi airport. We ask the baggage services and they issued me a PIR (Property Irregularity Report), and advise us to wait for their call. However, I kept following with them, also I contacted Turkish Airline helpline (Turkey) and they kept me updated like they are finding it / there is no status change etc., although getting my call through was a bit challenging, they attended the calls after a lot of attempts.
When I called on 3rd day, they told me that they have located my baggage and gave me the contact number of the driver who has taken the baggage.
I called him and he delivered the baggage at Ruwais (240 km away from Abu Dhabi) - which was impressive.
All the bad feelings against Turkish Airlines, washed away.. lucky me.
However, they should develop a system where this condition should not arise.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Silver, Qatar Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG, Hilton
Lost babbage is clearly a trend at Turkish

This summer I flew in Biz class for the first time on Turkish, and do not intend to repeat that miserable experience again.CAI-IST_SFO and back IAH_IST_CAI.

On the outbound, I received one of my bags damaged beyond repair with one of the four wheels completely broken, a second piece never arrived.

Flying back, My Baby stroller which was handed over at the airplane door, and I clearly explained I needed it during my 8 hour layover in IST, still somehow got tagged straight to Cairo. I had to go through passport control and spend close to an hour at the lost & Found counter for them to get it for me. It arrived partly damaged as well, with the handles bent so far forward, it took guys some 15 mins to pull the handles back outwards.

On the way back, the replacement suitcase to the one damaged on the way to SFO (which I have not claimed any compensation for) was also delayed by some 48 hours.

This is not to mention the extremely rude and careless attitude of many of the ground staff in IST. This was truly amazing considering I was dealing with their premium passenger counters.

The seats, hard product, and staff on board were however much better.

Nevertheless, the prior year I flew r/t on Qatar to DFW and had an overall much much better experience.

Last edited by sammy7; Aug 31, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
TK smashed 3 out of our 4 Hey's suitcases. It was torn off at the wheel part which is not repairable. What I found out about TK compensation is that - get all the documents ready and they will pay as soon as they get your paper.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
Originally Posted by starflyergold
No reason to panic yet, overall luggage rarely disappears completely.

Have you tracked it yet? http://www4.thy.com/baggage/start.tk?lang=e

As with all airlines, you will be allowed to buy some essential personal items and some clothes and then charge it to TK. In the unlikely event it is completely lost normal compensation rules apply. Details are here: http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in.../baggege-delay

Your travel insurance will cover any value in excess of the airline compensation should the baggage be completely lost.
Why should i have to use the travel insurance (if you have one) if the airline (TK) looses your bag.
They took possession of it and they are solely responsible for any financially damages when it is damaged or lost.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by merijn
Why should i have to use the travel insurance (if you have one) if the airline (TK) looses your bag.
They took possession of it and they are solely responsible for any financially damages when it is damaged or lost.
Can't agree more - but what I found out is that you have to be firm when they give you compensation. At KUL the TK ground staff only offered RM 200 for my Heys suitcase. I said no and had to handle the whole thing at CPH.

The problem with TK is that you need to have a receipt for your suitcase purchase otherwise they won't process it. So the hassle and trouble you go through might make you want to claim via your travel insurance.

If they are bad - try Air Berlin. They simply told us that they won't pay for anything and they don't care about the convention. Should I use my time to try to get $ out of them or just get a letter from them? Of course I can hire a German lawyer to sue them but what do I get out of this?
Old Dec 25, 2016, 1:30 am

Programs: MY LOST BAGS
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by starflyergold
afaik the format of the tracking number is aaabbnnnnn, where aaa is the airport code, bb is the airline code, and nnnnn is a 5 digit tracking number. For example isttk19666.

The tracking number should be on your pir(property irregularity report).
dahhamtk41951
Old Dec 25, 2016, 1:44 am

I was travel to ghana last thursday 15-12-2016, with airline tk1667, when i get to istanbul i was not allowed to join my next flight no. Tk629, unfortunately i was send back to germany the very day, up to now i haven't receive my 3 bags, tag. No. Tk487404/tk487403/tk487402
Old Dec 25, 2016, 1:52 am

Tracking id: 2016096948

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.