Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
CGK to become non-stop?
Originally Posted by CAlex
[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.0/Platinum - Amadeus: Timetable/NL-BCDF]
Code:
IST  Istanbul Metro / Ataturk TR = IST SAW [LTBA]
CGK  Jakarta Soekarno-Hatta Intl ID [WIII]
THU  28 Nov 2013 - 05 Dec 2013

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Effect | Ending | Exceptions
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ----------------------------------------------------------------
TK         66      IST   00:40     CGK   19:15     333  1   1234567     13:35       I       2   28 Oct   30 Mar
It is Direct, but with 1 Stop:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.2.0/Diamond - Operational Info: TK 66/01 Dec 2013]
Code:
                 Planned Flight Info
Segment          Departure  Arrival    Duration
-------          ---------  ---------  --------
IST-SIN          00:40/Sun  17:20/Sun  10:40
SIN-CGK          18:25/Sun  19:15/Sun  01:50

Segment          Flight Note
-------          ---------------------------------------------------------------------
SIN-CGK          A/ NO LOCAL TRAFFIC
IST-SIN          DEPARTS TERMINAL I
SIN-CGK          DEPARTS TERMINAL 1
IST-SIN          ARRIVES TERMINAL 1
SIN-CGK          ARRIVES TERMINAL 2
IST-CGK          CLASSES SHOWN CDKJRYBMHSEQTLVPWNG
                 ENTIRE FLT-   9/ NON-SMOKING
                 ENTIRE FLT-  ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
                 DEPARTS TERMINAL I
                 ARRIVES TERMINAL 2
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...conomy-seating

It had been rumoured for months. But Turkish Airlines CEO Temel Koti confirmed at last week's IATA AGM that his airline will eliminate Comfort Class from its fleet of B777-300ERs.

The product - the carrier's premium economy brand - will be missed by cost-conscious passengers seeking extra room.

Turkish's Comfort Class boasted lots of space and legroom, more than other global carriers, as one reader found when he sampled the product between Istanbul and Hong Kong (see our forum).

By comparison with other carriers, Turkish's seats were disposed seven across (2-3-2) and were 19.5 ins wide. Legroom was a generous 46 ins according to seatplans.com.

New planes delivered from Boeing will be configured for business and economy only (Turkish does not offer first class) while existing B777-300ERs will be retrofitted.

But when other carriers around the world are busy adding premium economy cabins in various forms (see Bridging the Gap, April 2013).

Why did Comfort Class fail?

What it shows is that the demand for premium economy varies depending on where in the world you are.

Turkish Airlines draws many of its passengers from neighbouring Middle Eastern and Gulf countries where there is a lack of awareness about what the product stands for.

Look at the major carriers in that part of the world. Not a single one provides passengers with a premium economy cabin – even the world's largest carrier (in terms of flown mileage), Emirates, has so far shunned the concept.

In addition, a 63-seater cabin was probably too large for the potential demand. Maybe Comfort Class would have fared better with fewer seats to sell like the layouts seen at British Airways, Air France, Cathay Pacific and so on.

Lack of consistency is another reason. European passengers understand the concept. But when they travel long-haul with Turkish via Istanbul they wonder why Comfort Class is on one flight but not on another.

But nothing is set in stone in the airline business. If the Gulf carriers eventually go down the premium economy route then Turkish must surely reconsider its decision.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: LH FTL
Bad news indeed. I wonder how quick they will be to stop offering and to remove it from the planes. Any guesses? I have a booking in CC to HKG in December...
Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Not surprised, although still disappointed. From business perspective, this is the right choice in the near term. I still believe they need a class/cabin between coach and business because there's just too much gap in terms of cost/space/comfort between the 2, especially if they decide to go 10 seats a row in 777. Now it's time to scramble to get to E+ before Comfort is completely gone. Hopefully it will still be around within 6 months.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
Hopefully they will use a very large business cabin for routes like LAX, JFK, to keep prices down for J.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:02 pm

Really too bad. Everything (save the hit and miss service) about the TK comfort class is amazing!

Granted it was only one TATL routing, but everytime I was on board, the Y+ cabin was pretty full.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:25 am

They could re-introduce a premium economy class (different name) in the future with fewer seats, from 21 in A330/A340 (2-3-2) to perhaps 32 in 777 (2-4-2), plus down to just 2-3 rows in narrow bodies by blocking middle seats. Some airlines did re-introduce Y+ to reflect the demand (EVA AIR).

I'll probably look into LH's Y+ in the future when I don't have vouchers to upgrade to J and need status miles to maintain E+ across the Atlantic.

FYI, at the moment, the closest product to Comfort Class (price and seat) is Icelandair's Saga Class. I don't really consider this a J product but it's priced at around $2200 JFK-CDG (you can do a stopover in KEF at no charge). Also for a little less, Norwegian has a premium product on 787 with 2-3-2 seating, priced around $1800 restricted fares.

http://www.icelandair.us/information...es/saga-class/

Last edited by vincewy; Jun 18, 2013 at 11:44 pm
Old Jun 12, 2013, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by vincewy
They could re-introduce a premium economy class (different name) in the future with fewer seats, from 21 in A330/A340 (2-3-2) to perhaps 32 in 777 (2-4-2), plus down to just 2-3 rows in narrow bodies by blocking middle seats. Some airlines did re-introduce Y+ to reflect the demand (EVA AIR).

I'll probably look into LH's Y+ in the future when I don't have vouchers to upgrade to J and need status miles to maintain E+ across the Atlantic.

FYI, at the moment, the closest product to Comfort Class (price and seat) is Icelandair's Saga Class. I don't really consider this a J product but it's priced at around $2200 JFK-CDG (you can do a stopover in KEF at no charge)

http://www.icelandair.us/information...es/saga-class/
I guess that LH is really appreciating the TK decision and not only a few customers will defect towards LH.Especially those with a M&M + M&S status.

When it comes to miles I wouldn't hang my hopes to high. E.g. LH P Fare is not eligible for miles on M&S since 2012.

I think you might earn a max.of 100% at the most for M&S but definitely not 150%.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 3:00 am

Programs: LH FTL
I don't have high expectations regarding the LH Y+ and doubt that it will come close to TK's CC. I fear it will be rather something like UA or SK Y+ with a few centimetres more legroom and slightly better catering for a significant surcharge.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by ex-koelner
I don't have high expectations regarding the LH Y+ and doubt that it will come close to TK's CC. I fear it will be rather something like UA or SK Y+ with a few centimetres more legroom and slightly better catering for a significant surcharge.
Of course this will depend on the final product. If it's 2-3-2 on A330/A340/upper A380 and 2-4-2 on 777/748/main A380 then I'm all for it, they can even maintain the same catering like current Y (I'll greatly miss the current catering on CC though).

Now, if it's more like Icelandair's Y+, no thanks, I'll just fly economy during non-peak periods and have an empty middle seat or even 3 seats for myself.

Last edited by vincewy; Jun 12, 2013 at 12:22 pm
Old Jun 12, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
I'm pretty sure that LH Y+ will be the same as the recently introduced LO Y+, which is in turn pretty similar (maybe slightly worse) than TK Y+.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:59 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond
If TK is doing away with CC, why are they still offering it on their JFK-IST run in mid-late Dec 2013. I have tickets for Dec.19-30 in CC . Will we have an option to upgrade to J or just be thrown back to E with no refund?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 7:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
They did not say when...
I would expect that LAX, GRU and JFK to be the last ones to get Comfort Class.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by kwsunset
I have tickets for Dec.19-30 in CC . Will we have an option to upgrade to J or just be thrown back to E with no refund?
My flight just got downgauged to A330 (TK1) and I was thrown back into E, I requested upgrade to J with miles but was put on waitlist (HL).

If your fare class is either O or U then you can just change the date for free, I was ready and willing to move to a different date and pay the change fee (since I'm in A fare) but seeing additional flights getting downgauged to A330 I'm holding off until the schedules are more concrete.

As of now all Sunday flights (IST-JFK and vice versa) got downgauged to A330 but I'm expecting more changes coming, a week ago it was only Dec 1st.

You can still book Comfort Class well into spring next year but I won't be booking it until 3-4 months prior, JFK, PEK, and NRT should be the last. GRU is downgauged to A340/A330.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:55 am

Programs: TK E+
I am checking Expertflyer for some time to get a BC upgrade from CC (i.e. J class availability). On 2 different occasions, 2 different TK call center staff said there was either no availability (where EF showed J2), or 1 availability (where EF showed J4).

Did anyone have a similar experience with the KVS tool?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.