The future of Comfort Class

Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by nacho
Why have 3-4 rows CC on each flight? There is no economy of scale by going this unless the only thing you are buying is a bigger seat imo. It would make sense to have 3-4 rows F seats since those tickets are outreageous.
Can't think of any carriers offering a true premium economy class who have many more rows than that. If you keep it small then you fill it with people actually buying it and don't have to give free upgrades to the scores of people buying regular economy with no seat assignment. And yes, most people buying premium economy are buying the bigger seat only, there's no much expectation of much more.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Can't think of any carriers offering a true premium economy class who have many more rows than that. If you keep it small then you fill it with people actually buying it and don't have to give free upgrades to the scores of people buying regular economy with no seat assignment. And yes, most people buying premium economy are buying the bigger seat only, there's no much expectation of much more.
I have never experienced TK upgrdaing people to CC for free. SK plus has about half a Y (it's not UA Y+). If people really only want bigger seats they won't pay USD 400 more just for that. The worst abou Y+ is that it's for long haul flighs only, so if you have short haul connecting flight you will be in Y seats.

From IST to most Asian destinations are not that far. To HKG is from 8-10 hours, so I don't have such a big need to get bigger seats. However to the US is different, the flight to LAX is much longer than that, a bigger seat would be nice. I think that is definitely part of the reason why CC is always full to LAX.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I have never experienced TK upgrdaing people to CC for free. SK plus has about half a Y (it's not UA Y+). If people really only want bigger seats they won't pay USD 400 more just for that. The worst abou Y+ is that it's for long haul flighs only, so if you have short haul connecting flight you will be in Y seats.

From IST to most Asian destinations are not that far. To HKG is from 8-10 hours, so I don't have such a big need to get bigger seats. However to the US is different, the flight to LAX is much longer than that, a bigger seat would be nice. I think that is definitely part of the reason why CC is always full to LAX.
Wow, 8-10 hours isn't far? I think that's a point we grossly disagree on, I gladly pay a reasonable upcharge for bigger seats on those flights and on TK I usually book A or J for Asia to Europe/ME/Africa, I can tolerate the 2-3 hour connection in Y if going with A fares. G or W are pointless to me since they don't earn miles, so they aren't even in my price comparison, I'd be looking at how much over an L or Q fare most of the time. Now I don't know if TK does free upgrades to CC when Y is full or prefers to let CC fly half empty if no one is buying it and Y is sold out... but that's not my point anyway, other airlines have found a much more modestly sized Y+ and a larger C cabin work well for them. TK's C section is quite small but Y+ is pretty huge (9 rows). Cut CC down to 3-4 rows, add the rest to the C cabin perhaps even cutting a few rows of Y and you have a winner.

BTW SAS Plus is 4 rows on both the A330 and A340, it's no where near half the size of Y.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: HH G, MR/SPG G, IHG Plat, Club Carlson G, National Exec
Doesn't this justify a smaller CC cabin for Asian flights?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by moler
Doesn't this justify a smaller CC cabin for Asian flights?
Yes but this is all depending on how much they can earn on CC. From PAX's point of view CC is value for money, but is it for TK?

The CC seats to HKG is actually cheap considering what you are getting (if we are not travelling with kids we might try that). If they can't earn enough on CC, why have them? They can squeeze more Y seats for the same space and charge people a good $ for them, why not?

My impression for TK (at least IST-HKG) route since I have flown that one several times is that CC is full, and I could book it for a very reasonable price - however back then Y (especially the P fare) was even lower. Now the put up the prices for cheap Ys (I haven't seen P for a while now), and if they put up the CC fare too much, then some passengers might choose to go straight to C instead (more miles, full flat bed, lounge access if you are not *G), or simply stay in Y instead.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:28 am

Programs: SK Diamond *G, LH SEN *G, Hyatt Globalist
Booked in CC but no CC on HKG

Im once again booked in CC on both TK0070 and TK0071.
This time in late october.

But it looks like HKG flights do not have CC seats anymore.
Does anyone have any experiences on what will happen to me then?
Downgrade to economy? Compensation?
Upgrade to business? Lucky...
Or?

Thanks
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NicoEBG

Or?

Thanks
Downgrade to economy,no compensation,methinks.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: TK*G
http://www.turkishairlines.com/downl...aflet_2014.pdf

In case of downgrading of the travel class 75% of ticket fare for flights more than 3500km shall be paid as compensation.
They might try to downgrade you to economy and avoid paying any compensation but if you show them this you'll probably get some compensation, or maybe an upgrade.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: TK M&S

Or?

Thanks
They have cc till mid of apr 2015
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Hoppala007
They have cc till mid of apr 2015
Do they? Where have you read this?
At their website they states that "Comfort Cabin service is offered for BEIJING, BANGKOK, LOS ANGELES, NEW YORK, SEOUL, TOKYO, SAO PAULO, TORONTO, GUANGZHOU, BUENOS AIRES departures/arrivals"
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by dozerman94
http://www.turkishairlines.com/downl...aflet_2014.pdf

They might try to downgrade you to economy and avoid paying any compensation but if you show them this you'll probably get some compensation, or maybe an upgrade.
Thanks a lot, I will print the pdf leaflet and bring it along, and see what happends ^
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:43 am

Programs: TK M&S
Do they? Where have you read this?
At their website they states that "Comfort Cabin service is offered for BEIJING, BANGKOK, LOS ANGELES, NEW YORK, SEOUL, TOKYO, SAO PAULO, TORONTO, GUANGZHOU, BUENOS AIRES departures/arrivals"
they do a lot of mistakes at their webpage ...

you can check it here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turki...hanges-tk.html
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
The worst abou Y+ is that it's for long haul flighs only, so if you have short haul connecting flight you will be in Y seats.
Not if you buy the "full flex" CC. Don't remember the booking class, but full price which is usually the same price as J, you have business on the the feeder flight to IST. This is my experience on the PVG route anyways.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
As of now, it's not gone completely but for Winter of 2014/2015 it's completely gone on JFK-IST sector as all 777s were deployed elsewhere.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by dozerman94
http://www.turkishairlines.com/downl...aflet_2014.pdfThey might try to downgrade you to economy and avoid paying any compensation but if you show them this you'll probably get some compensation, or maybe an upgrade.
Except TK is not an EU airline, so they do not have to offer this on a flight from IST to HKG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.