Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medical Emergency On TK11

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2012, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Medical Emergency On TK11

I was flying on TK 11 from IST-JFK on September 24th when a passenger had an apparent heart attack and the pilot decided to divert to Budapest. The emergency landing took a while since the pilot had to dump its nearly-full fuel tanks prior to landing.

A few questions and comments:

Does anyone happen to know if the passenger is OK?

Who pays for the lost fuel and landing charges at BUD? Does the airline's insurance usually cover these emergency expenses?

I have flown over 2 million miles in my life but had never experienced an emergency landing. I have only recently been flying on TK on a regular basis and it seems that almost every other flight requires the services of a doctor on board. I am not exaggerating to say that at least 1/3 of my TK flights have had pleas for medical assistance on board. I am wondering if TK's insistence on keeping their planes at a hammam temperature has something to do with this unfortunate phenomenon.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
Did they dump the fuel over Romania? How long did that take? Why did they not just turn back to IST?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:38 am

Programs: TK MS E+/*G - AFKL FB G/ST E+ - LH MM - AB TB - BWR Diamond - HHo Gold - LCA Plat - Sixt Plat
I've flown TK dozens of times and never witnessed any medical emergency.
The expenses are all for TK but it's a matter of responsibility and an airline will usually take little risks with passengers' health.
If you know the passenger or his family, you can know if he's fine. Otherwise, it's TK's responsibility to respect his privacy.
There is no regulation whatsoever that says that there must be a doctor on a plane -except maybe when this plane is doing a medevac ;-)
Most of the fuel was dumped prior to landing. It takes only minutes and this is an operation that is done as much as possible over the sea. And in case of medical emergency, the closest airport will always be chosen, as long as it has medical facilities in the immediate neighborhood, which is basically the case with all major airports.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
But there is no sea close to BUD, and unless they turned back, they would have started the landing procedure when they entered Hungarian airspace.

I appreciate they have taken necessary precautions to eventually ensure that no life is lost, but I am just curios how and where they dump fuel, when there is no sea around? I would hope they just don't dump it randomly over a mountain, village or farm field...
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: US, Delta, and United Gold, Marriott Platinum
I am pretty sure that fuel never makes down to earth, and evaporates, so over a mountain/village, or farm field would not be too much of a difference.

And again, hundreds of flights with TK over the past 10+ years with transatlantic, and European segments and no emergency landings (just a single go-around in TLV)..

Originally Posted by CAlex
But there is no sea close to BUD, and unless they turned back, they would have started the landing procedure when they entered Hungarian airspace.

I appreciate they have taken necessary precautions to eventually ensure that no life is lost, but I am just curios how and where they dump fuel, when there is no sea around? I would hope they just don't dump it randomly over a mountain, village or farm field...
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: various
I was on a plane 2-3 years ago from ATL-NRT, had a medical emergency on board just after we crossed over the US-Canada border. Ended up diverting to Edmonton to offload the poor fellow. We had to dump fuel somewhere over Saskatchawan, but I think it does evaporate or widely disperses as long as altitude is high enough. Being still early in such a long flight, we were too heavy to land "as is".

BTW, not all aircraft have the ability to truly dump fuel. Some can't do much more than burn it off.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: TK MS E+/*G - AFKL FB G/ST E+ - LH MM - AB TB - BWR Diamond - HHo Gold - LCA Plat - Sixt Plat
Fuel does not evaporate. It is too greasy to do so. It sprays in very small particles.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonor Gold, Hertz President's Circle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dumping

some plans do not have fuel dump systems
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Not all planes need fuel dumping systems. For instance smaller aircraft like the Boeing 737 or Airbus A320 can land with the tanks fully loaded, whereas a bigger aircraft like a 777 need to dump a certain amount of fuel in order to reach the maximum allowed landing weight.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:12 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Ok we are not discussing ancient threads

starflyergold
TK forum mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.