Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:18 am
Original Poster

I'm flying from IAD to TLV on Turkish Airlines and the itinerary is only giving me 55 minutes to make the connection in Istanbul. Has anyone experienced a similar connection time in IST? Also, would I need to go through customs in IST (at which point I'll never make it)? I leave Friday and am just getting my act together. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
You don't need to go through customs in IST BUT you will go through security. I don't know if it was just because I was taking a flight to LAX from IST but I have to say that their security is INSANE. It took at least an hour just lining up and going through security check. They check your bags twice via X-Ray then do random bag checks AND then they check your passport a ton of times before you finally get to the waiting area.

It's absolute chaos.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The OP is not flying to the US but arriving at IST from the US; a totally different situation in terms of security (however, it may be that additional security is applied for TLV flights - I don't know).

Anyway, 55 min is more than enough for this transfer, which will be very easy. Just follow the transfer signs, show your onward BP (or if you didn't get it at IAD, obtain a BP from the TK transfer desk on arrivals level) and take the escalators one level up; you will then be in the transit/departure hall. It is very very easy; no need to to worrry.

You will not pass customs or immigration for this transfer.

Security checks take place at the departure gates. I have passed IST many times and I have never experienced security checks to be "chaos" or time consuming. No need to worry about this.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
I have transfered at IST and it was not the most painfree transfer nor was it the worst. You will not have to go through customs or immigration, just follow the sights for conncetions, it is doable in 55 mins but you don't have much time. Make sure you get your boarding pass for TLV when you check in at IAD as there can be long lines at the transfer desk at IST.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 1:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I seem to remember that there were 3 or so countries which the special security checks apply for at IST. USA, Israel, and I believe one other. This meant an additional passport check before going to the transfer line, it didn't take long, maybe added 10 minutes to the process.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310
I seem to remember that there were 3 or so countries which the special security checks apply for at IST. USA, Israel, and I believe one other. This meant an additional passport check before going to the transfer line, it didn't take long, maybe added 10 minutes to the process.
And CAN.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:53 am
tcm

Also the U.K. All done by the friendliest staff of Gözen Aviation, a IST classic
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by tcm
Also the U.K. All done by the friendliest staff of Gözen Aviation, a IST classic
Absolutely ! Sometimes I got invited to coffee & cake
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
The security line for connecting flights when I transferred there last week was extremely long, and while I was spared its pain (I was traveling with someone in a wheelchair), I would doubt that it could be cleared in less than 40 minutes.
royng likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:14 am

Talking

Originally Posted by rfrost
The security line for connecting flights when I transferred there last week was extremely long, and while I was spared its pain (I was traveling with someone in a wheelchair), I would doubt that it could be cleared in less than 40 minutes.
Just to be clear - they have a new security set up for transit pax?

I ll be flying YYZ-IST-DEL with 2.5+ hr each way, So I m not too worried, but I d like to know the setup each way. Would I have to clear it in both directions?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
As of last week you clear security before entering the departure terminal, not at the gate. Related thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turki...open-gate.html
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: QF Gold, ANZ Silver
Red face Transit at IST

Hi Everybody
I'm new to FT. Will be travelling JNB-CAI with just over an hour stopover in IST, and then return a couple weeks later. In your experiences, will my bags move from one aircraft to the other without going missing?
I look forward to some good conversations in future!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Welcome to FT!

The chances of your bags making the connection are fair, but it would not harm to pack essentials in your carry on bag, so that you are not devastated if your check in luggage does not make it.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Do transit pax need a visa. I will be flying from MUC to IST-DEL and I hold a CAD pp?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 1:28 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Hoss007
Hi Everybody
I'm new to FT. Will be travelling JNB-CAI with just over an hour stopover in IST, and then return a couple weeks later. In your experiences, will my bags move from one aircraft to the other without going missing?
I look forward to some good conversations in future!
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the TK forum Hoss007 ^

The bags should make it but then again as with any flight you never know until you are at your final destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.