Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:22 pm

Arrived at IST from HKG on TK71 on March 25. Flight arrived at 0540am at remote bay. However, transportation to the terminal was rather efficient and the queue at security transit was not long. Water bottles passed through. Was up at departure level by 0610am.

Arrived at IST from ATH on TK1850 on March 29 at 1700 at gate. Transit passengers went straight into departure level.

Last edited by zhaobao; Apr 1, 2016 at 1:01 pm
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:49 am

Hello All,

I have to do a MAN-IST-ESB (on one ticket) and I have the option to choose a 1h20min or a 2h20min stopover, boths will be in early morning (arrival 6am, departure 7 or 9 am). I'm guessing the 2h20min is the safest option specially in the early morning rush hour but want to hear from the experts...

Thanks in advance

PD: Arriving on an European Passport with evisa already issued
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
Hello All,

I have to do a MAN-IST-ESB (on one ticket) and I have the option to choose a 1h20min or a 2h20min stopover, boths will be in early morning (arrival 6am, departure 7 or 9 am). I'm guessing the 2h20min is the safest option specially in the early morning rush hour but want to hear from the experts...

Thanks in advance

PD: Arriving on an European Passport with evisa already issued
The 2h20min is better. Are you in C or Y?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
The 2h20min is better. Are you in C or Y?
Y
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I would do 1h20, if you miss your ESB flight, they will put you on the next one.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
Y
I would still go with the 2h20min if you want to be sure to make your connection. Do you have Star Gold? If yes, it gives you a little time to refresh at the lounge.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Mict
I would do 1h20, if you miss your ESB flight, they will put you on the next one.
I would normally do that, but I read frequently in this thread that Turkish do not rebook you for free if you miss your connection unless you have less than 1h to make it, so dont want to take the risk

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I would still go with the 2h20min if you want to be sure to make your connection. Do you have Star Gold? If yes, it gives you a little time to refresh at the lounge.
No status in Star Alliance unfortunately, do you know if there is any lounge with paid entrance available in the domestic terminal?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by aulrik
You don't have to go through transit security. Just follow the signs for connecting flights and you will get right into the departure terminal.

There seems to be some misbileves that you are not avoiding transit security if you are bused to the terminal, but that has absolutely nothing to say. There is a separate bus drop-off point for passengers arriving from EU and USA, that leads directly to arrival or the departure terminal.
This was my exact experience yesterday arriving from Rome en route to the USA. We were bussed to the terminal and walked right in after boarding pass check. If you don't have the connecting boarding pass this is not possible.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:31 am

Have a 1 hour 35 minute connection, arriving international on Turkish and departing international on Lot Polish. Sound doable?

I don't believe I will have a boarding pass for the Lot flight.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by utl567
Have a 1 hour 35 minute connection, arriving international on Turkish and departing international on Lot Polish. Sound doable?

I don't believe I will have a boarding pass for the Lot flight.
Is this on the same ticket? And where are you arriving from?
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by aulrik
You don't have to go through transit security. Just follow the signs for connecting flights and you will get right into the departure terminal.

There seems to be some misbileves that you are not avoiding transit security if you are bused to the terminal, but that has absolutely nothing to say. There is a separate bus drop-off point for passengers arriving from EU and USA, that leads directly to arrival or the departure terminal.
My experience as well, two days ago transitting mid-weekday at IST from CDG to CAI on TK.

Off the bus, clear signs directing you into proper lane, quick check of boarding pass for next flight and you are in the departure terminal.

No delays.

I travel back to FCO from CAI via IST soon and will update.

I will definitely be demanding (politely) both boarding passes at check-in.

Last edited by kalderlake; Apr 12, 2016 at 7:12 pm
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
How busy is IST on Saturday evenings around 6pm? 70 minute connection US to IST and then on to Europe doable?
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by kalderlake
My experience as well, two days ago transitting mid-weekday at IST from CDG to CAI on TK.

Off the bus, clear signs directing you into proper lane, quick check of boarding pass for next flight and you are in the departure terminal.

No delays.

I travel back to FCO from CAI via IST soon and will update.

I will definitely be demanding (politely) both boarding passes at check-in.
Opposite experience on the return leg.

Required to go through a security check on arrival from Cairo.

Added approximately 20 minutes to the transit.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:30 pm

It appears that your security check at IST after arriving from CAI is in line with what other posters have said, i.e. that if you are arriving internationally (in the case of your outbound trip you arrived IST from France on your way to CAI) on an aircraft from certain EU countries, the U.S./Canada that you do not go through transit security upon transferring to your next international flight. Arriving from Egypt does not meet the ''safe country' criteria. Thanks for giving us your first hand account. These are very helpful to know what is going on at IST. Things, of course, change, so the most current information is very valuable.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
HAJ-IST-ASR connection time

I am considering an award booking HAJ-IST-ASR, with a 1 hr 55 min connection time in IST. I have never flown on TK nor been to Turkey, so I want to be sure I can make the transit from the International terminal to Domestic in that time frame. Flight from HAJ (Hannover, Germany) arrives around 2 pm and we would be in J, with at least 2 checked bags. No status.

There is an option to take another flight to ASR that leaves 1 hr later giving us plenty of connection time, but I also would like to arrive at ASR early enough so that I will not need to drive our rental car in the dark to our hotel in Goreme. The current flight I'm looking at gets in at 5:30 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.