Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Great. Thank you! That would give us a phenomenally faster travel time than the other options, TK and non-TK alike.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: AY Silver, BA Silver, FI Saga hopeful
Hi,
We're going to transfer through IST in February with Mrs. DJ on our way to Asia. Inbound is with TK in Y from HEL and outbound with QR in C to DOH and from there on.
The TK flight arrives at 16:40 while the QR flight leaves 18:40 and since the flights are on a separate ticket I'm worried that any significant delay would cause us to mis our outbound flight.
I understand that 2 hours *should* be plenty of time to transfer especially if we have checked in and have the BPs for the QR flight.

However if we're unable to check our bags all the way through from HEL to our final destination, I assume that this would mean we need the collect and check them in again in IST.
Would this automatically mean that 2 hours is simply not enough and we would be screwed?

-
DJ

Last edited by docjones; Oct 24, 2013 at 5:02 pm
Old Oct 24, 2013, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by docjones
Hi,
We're going to transfer through IST in February with Mrs. DJ on our way to Asia. Inbound is with TK in Y from HEL and outbound with QR in C to DOH and from there on.
The TK flight arrives at 16:40 while the QR flight leaves 18:40 and since the flights are on a separate ticket I'm worried that any significant delay would cause us to mis our outbound flight.
I understand that 2 hours *should* be plenty of time to transfer especially if we have checked in and have the BPs for the QR flight.

However if we're unable to check our bags all the way through from HEL to our final destination, I assume that this would mean we need the collect and check them in again in IST.
Would this automatically mean that 2 hours is simply not enough and we would be screwed?

-
DJ
Welcome to FT!
I wouldn't fancy what you are planning.
Separate tickets are always risky.
You should ask the TK agent in HEL nicely if he/she will interline your bag(s) to DOH on QR. The airlines do interline baggage, but not necessarily on separate itineraries.
If yes, then you should be ok assuming your inbound is on-time. You will need to follow the signs for transfer and go through security and go up the escalator and into the departures area.
If your inbound is delayed, you're potentially in trouble as QR will regard you as a no-show if you don't get to the gate on-time.
If no interlined bags, then two hours would be highly problematic. Immigration lines at IST can be long. Then you have to go outside, wait for your bags and re-check with QR and come back through security. QR probably gives you a pass for Fast Track, which will help.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: Mileage Plan
Hello all...

travelling from US via FRA (LH) to IST, connecting on sep ticket to (TK) ASR about 4 hours later. Which lounges can I use, the international or just the domestic? I am *Gold. What is the transit process?

Would love to have a small meal and a shower upon landing.

Thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:19 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ASEFlyer
Hello all...

travelling from US via FRA (LH) to IST, connecting on sep ticket to (TK) ASR about 4 hours later. Which lounges can I use, the international or just the domestic? I am *Gold. What is the transit process?

Would love to have a small meal and a shower upon landing.

Thanks.
You'll be able to use the domestic terminal TK lounge, which isn't bad. There's a pedestrian bridge that connects the international and domestic terminals, and the domestic lounge is close to where that bridge "releases" you.

Expect to go through a security checkpoint before entering, since I believe you'll get bussed to your flight from the lounge.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT
Hi, I plan to book a multi-stop with arrival at 16.30 at IST on OS and departure at 17.35 with LH. Technically it would be a rt ticket with final destination IST. The ticket would be issued by UA. Will it work or is that too little time to make the LH flight?

Cheers!
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Happydayy
Hi, I plan to book a multi-stop with arrival at 16.30 at IST on OS and departure at 17.35 with LH. Technically it would be a rt ticket with final destination IST. The ticket would be issued by UA. Will it work or is that too little time to make the LH flight?

Cheers!
Risky. You need to go through security at IST on every connection, afaik. Security lines can be long and progress slowly. Even assuming you have a boarding pass for you LH flight (and, of course, no checked luggage), an hour may be too short a time. Also, the walk from one end of the terminal to another may easily take 15-20 minutes.

Shuly
Old Nov 8, 2013, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
So, if I am reading correctly, there is only gate security for limited destinations now, is this correct? Last time i came through, in Feb. '12, there was no centralized security like most other airports, only at the gate.

I'm looking at doing a BOM-IST-YYZ in Dec. So I'm assuming its more like NRT, where you go to a centralized securit (though wish it was more like MUC, where you go into the departure hall - that's it). It'll take a little longer to get to the lounge, I guess, but less time at the gate?

I assume YYZ flights aren't subject to extra security like the US ones are at the departure point, are they? I'm not worried on connection time, just want to know what to expect. Looking at TLV also, next year, but I suppose that'll be both centralized and gate security?
Old Nov 8, 2013, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I assume YYZ flights aren't subject to extra security like the US ones are at the departure point, are they? I'm not worried on connection time, just want to know what to expect. Looking at TLV also, next year, but I suppose that'll be both centralized and gate security?
IST-TLV flights enjoy an extra level of questioning, at the gate, but not extra security checks.

Shuly
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by shuly
Risky. You need to go through security at IST on every connection, afaik. Security lines can be long and progress slowly. Even assuming you have a boarding pass for you LH flight (and, of course, no checked luggage), an hour may be too short a time. Also, the walk from one end of the terminal to another may easily take 15-20 minutes.

Shuly
If I don't make it, will LH put me on the next *A flight? there is a TK flight 2 hours after the booked LH flight.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:12 am

If I don't make it, will LH put me on the next *A flight? there is a TK flight 2 hours after the booked LH flight.
You'll be missing the first leg of your inbound flight. I'm not sure anyone owes you anything in this case, but read the conditions of your ticket. If I were you, I'd book the later flight in the first place.

Shuly
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
If it's one PNR, then the airline will be responsible for your missed flight. LH decides which airlines to put you on.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by nacho
If it's one PNR, then the airline will be responsible for your missed flight. LH decides which airlines to put you on.
Are you sure about that? The OP is describing an unusual situation: the IST connection is in fact the final destination of the outbound trip and the beginning of the inbound trip. It may look like a connection, but technically it isn't one. I'm not sure sure the airline is responsible in such a case, even if both legs are on the same PNR.

Shuly
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, HIlton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Silver
If it is all one PNR then you should be protected. My wife has booked multi-stop inineraries that had her passing through IST and was protected (IST-CVG-IST-MXP-IST for instance). She missed the connection through the fault of TK when heading to MXP and was reaccomodated and given 400 euro compensation since the MXP flight was last flight out and she could not be reaccomodated until the next morning
Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:09 am

Transfer at IST

Hey gang,

I have an upcoming flight JNB-IST-ZRH with TK. Due to sudden change of plans, I am not going to be able to make it for the IST-ZRH flight. I do have another flight, same day with TK to another EU destination.

So here's the question. I will ask the luggage to be checked in to IST, not ZRH. If I go to transfer desk, get my new boarding pass for the other destination, can they transfer my luggage to the new flight? I really, really want to save myself from going out

This is from their web site:

"Transfer Passengers: (International Transfer Passengers With An International Connection Flight) A boarding card is issued for the passenger (if not issued in the country of origin) at the transit desk of the relevant handling company on the Arrivals floor. The passenger does not go through passport control. Instead, he/she directly proceeds through the transit area into the International Departures area. Baggage will be automatically transferred to the connecting flight."

http://www.ataturkairport.com/en-EN/.../Transfer.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.