Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: QF Gold, ANZ Silver
Thanx folks. That helps.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Do transit pax need a visa. I will be flying from MUC to IST-DEL and I hold a CAD pp?
No you don't because you'll stay air side except you wish to explore Istanbul.
In your case you would have to pay for a Visa.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by moeser
No you don't because you'll stay air side except you wish to explore Istanbul.
In your case you would have to pay for a Visa.
So you mean I will not have to pay for a Visa since I am only in transit right?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:44 pm

No, you will not need a visa unless you formally enter Turkey.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:00 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by rfrost
The security line for connecting flights when I transferred there last week was extremely long, and while I was spared its pain (I was traveling with someone in a wheelchair), I would doubt that it could be cleared in less than 40 minutes.
Well, I got out of that horrible line this morning by trying to do someone a good turn. Spotted this chap on crutches in the line almost next to me and I really don't think someone on crutches should have to go through all that! Found someone to ask about it and he said I could bring him up to where he was, accompanied him through security and all the way through duty-free and to his gate for good measure.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:56 pm

Programs: All of them...
Flying TLV-IST-JFK with about an hour layover. Can I make the lounge? (Flying in C)
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
I'd say no chance. For US-bound flights you need to go through the additional "interview", which can kill anything between 10 and 30 minutes. The only good news might be that typically flights to JFK leave from gate 219, the closest to the TK Lounge.

IF your transfer process is fast and IF your gate is close to the lounge, you can enjoy 15 minutes there...
Old Dec 30, 2012, 3:44 am

Programs: Loyalty? I go where the points and status are!
I'm in a similar situation as OP.
I am flying TK from JFK-IST-TLV on a Taca/Avianca Award , with a 1 hour connection. Assuming the JFK flight lands on time, will I make it? I'm TK Gold via Status Match if that matters.
If not, will there be any trouble moving me to the next TK flight to TLV? Right now they're on a 4x daily schedule..
Old Dec 30, 2012, 3:53 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by oziman
I'm in a similar situation as OP.
I am flying TK from JFK-IST-TLV on a Taca/Avianca Award , with a 1 hour connection. Assuming the JFK flight lands on time, will I make it? I'm TK Gold via Status Match if that matters.
If not, will there be any trouble moving me to the next TK flight to TLV? Right now they're on a 4x daily schedule..
MCT at IST International/International is one hour, however you have to keep in mind the extra security protocol for any TLV bound flights.

Should your inbound flight be late and you can't make the TLV flight you will be rebooked on the next available flight. Your TK status will help you getting on that flight should it be fully booked.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:41 am

Programs: Loyalty? I go where the points and status are!
Originally Posted by starflyergold
MCT at IST International/International is one hour, however you have to keep in mind the extra security protocol for any TLV bound flights.

Should your inbound flight be late and you can't make the TLV flight you will be rebooked on the next available flight. Your TK status will help you getting on that flight should it be fully booked.
OK - having never transited through IST before, how bad is the TLV bound security? Is it all in the same Terminal?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 7:41 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by oziman
OK - having never transited through IST before, how bad is the TLV bound security? Is it all in the same Terminal?
It is the same terminal, for example today it is leaving from 205.

TLV procedures are pretty much the same everywhere: secondary security screening, a brief Q&A by officials and sterile gate area (meaning you can't leave after security).

Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Originally Posted by starflyergold
In addition to that, the additional security screening for Israel/US/Canada/UK flights has a separate line for TK Elite and Elite Plus members to speed up the process if that helps at all.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus; UA Gold Elite; Marriott Platinum Elite
Every time I've been transiting through IST for the additional securityt o the US, I've seen the TK E and E+ posters, but there is no actual line there. There has only been one line available for everyone to use which is usually a bit chaotic.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Originally Posted by egokcen
Every time I've been transiting through IST for the additional securityt o the US, I've seen the TK E and E+ posters, but there is no actual line there. There has only been one line available for everyone to use which is usually a bit chaotic.
I saw that, so I just walked around to the right next to the sign, flashed my card and they called me over
Old Jan 4, 2013, 3:40 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus; UA Gold Elite; Marriott Platinum Elite
Good idea! Guess I need to push more!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.