Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by L_D_M
I have a BOM-IST-LIS round trip scheduled in April. Both ways, the transit time is 90 minutes. From what I've read here, that sounds sufficient, but I see Expertflyer says the flight from BOM is delayed 28 minutes on average. And the last and only other time I flew into IST (not connecting to elsewhere) from BOM, the flight was about an hour late and it was a melee of people sprinting through the terminal hoping to make their connections. Which brings me to my question: will I need to go through immigration or only security? Thanks.
No immigration - only security
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by aulrik
Since you are traveling in J, you will get access to fast-track at the immigration in IST, and I think there is a good chance you will get BP's for the entire trip during check-in, so it could work. However, there is little room for delays so it's going to be very tight.
Anyone had experience flying XXX(international)-IST-ESB? I know there's a good chance that TK will check my bag at the beginning of the destination, even though I've bought seperate ticket for IST-ESB. Question is, where would I pick up my bag at ESB? At ASR, there's a seperate baggage claim (on the left) for those originating from abroad, if there's a seperate baggage claim, is it really far away from the domestic (regular) baggage claim?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 5:14 am

Programs: VS, UA, DL
Hello everyone!

I am looking to fly LHR-IST-NRT on the 8th of August departing London at 0655 with a connection/transit time of 1hr 05min... Is this doable? I flew this route last year but had a 2+ hour connection leaving Istanbul on the redeye and didn't have to claim baggage or go through customs or immigration... just walked straight through the duty free area to my gate and waited for the bus that drove us to our plane.

Possible?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 12:50 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by totalrequest
Is this doable?
Yes it is. MCT is 60 minutes.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by QP12990
Hi all,
I will be transiting through IST in the near future, arriving 1835 departing 0050, and have a couple questions:

1. Will I have time to visit Istanbul downtown comfortably (even for a couple hours)?

2. I have *G, can I visit the TK lounge (and possibly leave my bags there), then pass through immigration to go to the city?

Thanks in advance for your replies
Hi all,
Would someone be able to help me with my query please
Thanks!!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by QP12990
Hi all,
Would someone be able to help me with my query please
Thanks!!
You didn't tell us whether it's the same PNR or separate tickets but in both scenarios

1. 18:35 - 00:50 is pushing it to visit Istanbul. Definitely doable but I wouldn't consider it comfortable. The metro and trams are almost always packed to the gills these days, sometimes you have to wait for next 2-3 trains to get on during these crazy rush hours. You'll probably get to Sultanahmet around 20:00 at the earliest even with Fast Track with Star Gold at immigration. Give yourself 1 - 1.5 hours and get back to the airport by 22:50.

2. Is the flight at 00:50 *A? If so you may use the lounge. If both flights are in the same PNR then your bag is checked all the way. If not you need to clear immigration; there's a leave baggage counter called "Emanet Bagaji" toward the right end of the arrival hall next to Starbucks and Hotel desk.

My suggestion? I assume both flights are under different PNRs so as soon as you clear the immigration go upstairs to the TK check-in area to check-in the bag, if it's different airline then I don't know how early the check-in area opens. Once you check the bag, depending on how much time you have left, if it's >4 hours then I'd take quick Metro to places like Ataköy Şirinevler, enjoy the night for couple hours, see real Istanbul and forget about Sultanahmet where every tourist gets hassled and pushed around these days. If you have less than 4 hours left after you check-in, I'd recommend just going to lounge and relax until your next flight.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Originally Posted by totalrequest
Hello everyone!

I am looking to fly LHR-IST-NRT on the 8th of August departing London at 0655 with a connection/transit time of 1hr 05min... Is this doable? I flew this route last year but had a 2+ hour connection leaving Istanbul on the redeye and didn't have to claim baggage or go through customs or immigration... just walked straight through the duty free area to my gate and waited for the bus that drove us to our plane.

Possible?
The above posts are perfect and invaluable in terms of logistics.

Personally I wouldn't do it, having been through IST (flying in J from YUL - IST - KTM and also the same on the return) with 5 hour transit times.

Keep in mind, you will need a Turkish Tourist Visa, which is a crazy 50 Euro, or 70 USD for 90 day validity... I had to get that for just a 4-5 day stopover.

Not 100% sure that the Visa would be needed for a transit stop outside the airport, but do check into that aspect.

Rob
Old Mar 14, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by Majumdar
Keep in mind, you will need a Turkish Tourist Visa, which is a crazy 50 Euro, or 70 USD for 90 day validity... I had to get that for just a 4-5 day stopover.
The visa fee depends on your nationality. Canadians and Americans pay the largest sum, most pay USD20, and some get in visa-free.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 11:36 am

Domestic to International connect time

Hi folks, planning to fly from Cappodocia to NYC, and it looks like all routes from ASR / NAV require a stop in Istanbul. The domestic carriers are meaningfully cheaper, so I'm looking at buying a separate ticket on Onur Air to IST before connecting to my international flight (Star Alliance or SkyTeam).

1) check in procedures: will i need to check in at IST for my international flight or does Onur have any agreements with international carriers where I could check in through to the US?
2) baggage: don't plan on checking bags, but if I did, would Onur transfer the bags to my international flight? or would i need to reclaim my bags at IST?
3) time to connect: ASR-IST arrives at 8.50am and I'm hoping to take a DL flight that leaves at 12.15pm. do i have enough time? i can move fast!

thanks so much!
kelly
Old Mar 14, 2015, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by missko
Hi folks, planning to fly from Cappodocia to NYC, and it looks like all routes from ASR / NAV require a stop in Istanbul. The domestic carriers are meaningfully cheaper, so I'm looking at buying a separate ticket on Onur Air to IST before connecting to my international flight (Star Alliance or SkyTeam).

1) check in procedures: will i need to check in at IST for my international flight or does Onur have any agreements with international carriers where I could check in through to the US?
2) baggage: don't plan on checking bags, but if I did, would Onur transfer the bags to my international flight? or would i need to reclaim my bags at IST?
3) time to connect: ASR-IST arrives at 8.50am and I'm hoping to take a DL flight that leaves at 12.15pm. do i have enough time? i can move fast!

thanks so much!
kelly
1) TK to TK, probably, the rest, more than likely no.
2) Reclaim at IST and go to the international terminal.
3) More than likely enough, although Onur is chronically late based on my experience and unlike TK, they don't have that many frames to handle IRROP. So this is your call.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:50 pm

Thank you. Much appreciated insight.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:36 am

Hi all, I am planning to fly from Egypt to the U.S. on the route CAI-IST-JFK. The transit time in Istanbul will be only 1 hr 20 min. Both flights are on the same ticket and I will be getting the BP for the JFK flight in Cairo. Would that be too risky? Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:41 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by maverick89
Hi all, I am planning to fly from Egypt to the U.S. on the route CAI-IST-JFK. The transit time in Istanbul will be only 1 hr 20 min. Both flights are on the same ticket and I will be getting the BP for the JFK flight in Cairo. Would that be too risky? Thanks!
Welcome to FT maverick89 ^. That should be sufficient.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Transit Security ?

Hi,

What is up with Transit Security at IST ? I landed from BOS at IST and was
let through the crowded gate of departing passengers without any
security check to the transit area. While returning from DXB at IST, there
was a security check before entering the Transit area. Not sure
why the difference ??

F.A.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:26 am

What is up with Transit Security at IST ? I landed from BOS at IST and was let through the crowded gate of departing passengers without any
security check to the transit area. While returning from DXB at IST, there
was a security check before entering the Transit area. Not sure
why the difference ??
Passengers arriving from the US are considered clean (and comply with one-stop security requirements), while passengers arriving from Dubai are not.

Although Turkey is not a one stop-security country, IST airport is practical enough to not re-screen passengers from one stop-security countries. I wish there were more like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.