Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:40 pm

We'll be flying JFK - IST - TIA all in TK, do we have to go through passport control & security in IST? Our transit time in IST is 1:50, do we have enough time to sample CIP lounge? Thank you.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by kiyotaka
We'll be flying JFK - IST - TIA all in TK, do we have to go through passport control & security in IST? Our transit time in IST is 1:50, do we have enough time to sample CIP lounge? Thank you.
Only security, not passport control. If you're on time you should be able to go to the lounge.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:40 am

Thank you. We'll be traveling in J for both JFK-IST & IST-TIA, is there dedicated security line for J?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by kiyotaka
Thank you. We'll be traveling in J for both JFK-IST & IST-TIA, is there dedicated security line for J?
Technically there's a line for Business and Star Gold but sometimes there's no one there enforcing it so it's a bit redundant anyway. And sometimes there're so many in that one line that it doesn't go any faster than the usual (many) lines for economy pax. Use your own discretion.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:31 am
fadynaime

Programs: TK Elite Miles&Smlies, Jet Blue, Platinum medallion, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ellyse
Technically there's a line for Business and Star Gold but sometimes there's no one there enforcing it so it's a bit redundant anyway. And sometimes there're so many in that one line that it doesn't go any faster than the usual (many) lines for economy pax. Use your own discretion.
it doesn't look like there is a lot of people that know about that line.

but even though its a separate line, once you get to the front it mixes with the other, so ur dependent on the people in front of you to push through security, because everyone wants to get through and the other passengers that have been standing in line for a while are not going to let you through happily.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by fadynaime
it doesn't look like there is a lot of people that know about that line.

but even though its a separate line, once you get to the front it mixes with the other, so ur dependent on the people in front of you to push through security, because everyone wants to get through and the other passengers that have been standing in line for a while are not going to let you through happily.
The only time that you have to fight off economy pax from the main queue is when they only have one line open for everyone - and then usually there aren't many pax in total either so it doesn't make a huge difference whether you're in the main or "special" queue. Otherwise, at busy ("normal"?) times the economy pax have about 4-6 security machines to choose from so they would be rather silly to insist on barging into this one anyway.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:52 am

Programs: TK E+
I'm not a big fan of IST in general but I have to give them credit for the way they have improved efficiency in the two transit securities. It used to be much, much worse, but now I rarely experience more than 10 min. waiting time at most (and most times I walk more or less right through). It might be the times of day I travel the most (early morning and late night), I don't know, but it's been more than a year since the last time I lost my connecting flight, due to a holdup in security.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Folks, anyone knows if SQ has a transit desk airside at IST?

A friend is connecting from TLV and - in case on-line checkin will not work - the chance to make passport control at IST doesn't sound appealing to her.

No checked luggage, only carry on.
Cheers.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:17 pm

Transferring from PEK this morning took all of 1 minute, no exaggeration. The Business Class/Fast Track line was manned and I zipped right through.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Transferring from PEK this morning took all of 1 minute, no exaggeration. The Business Class/Fast Track line was manned and I zipped right through.
This is relieving to hear, I'm on that flight at the end of this month with just an hour and a half connection. The next flights are so much later in the day to completely spoil our first day of the trip if we miss it. Last time I came off of TK21 from PEK was end of April this year. Left PEK about an hour late, arrived IST equally as late, fortunately that time we had a fully day to connect and were going downtown anyway. They parked us at a bus gate way out by the maintenance hangers. Got into the terminal finally and the transit area was an absolute zoo. I didn't pay attention if the transit priority lane was open or not. We proceeded to the priority lane for immigration and were out in 5 minutes.

Does anyone know if there is any rhyme or reason as to which arrivals get proper gates with jetways and which go to remote bus gates? I would think a full 773 would get higher priority just due to the high pax count but clearly that's not the case. In theory, PEK and PVG should be the first 2 arrivals from Asia if on time which is why I chose TK21 this time instead of HKG which would have been more convenient.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:10 am

I'm flying to IST in several months on SU2132. We arrive at 8:45pm. Do you think its unrealistic to try and catch a domestic TK flight at 10:25pm?

Making it more complicated, they would be separate PNRs but I'd really like to avoid a night in IST if possible.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:10 am

Hello everyone,

I'm starting to plan my trip for next summer and TK currently shows really low fares. I'll be flying either one of those three airports GVA, BSL or ZRH to IAH via IST. The flights have seen are scheduled like this :

7:00 am -> 11:00 am then a 2 hours 5 minutes connection in IST and then IST -> IAH.

Should 125 minutes be enough for transfer ? I read some people saying transfer is really bad in IST others saying it's getting better and finally others saying it's good. I'll be flying couch.

Looking forward to your answers,

Florian
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlorianB
Hello everyone,

I'm starting to plan my trip for next summer and TK currently shows really low fares. I'll be flying either one of those three airports GVA, BSL or ZRH to IAH via IST. The flights have seen are scheduled like this :

7:00 am -> 11:00 am then a 2 hours 5 minutes connection in IST and then IST -> IAH.

Should 125 minutes be enough for transfer ? I read some people saying transfer is really bad in IST others saying it's getting better and finally others saying it's good. I'll be flying couch.

Looking forward to your answers,

Florian
IMHO You should be ok. As long as your inbound flight is on time. If you miss your connection due to late arrival, TK should put you on the next available flight. You will not have to clear customs but will pass thru the security area and prob additional screening at the gate for US flights.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:15 am

I am travelling in January and only have 1hr and 10mins layover in IST. Even that should be OK i think .At least they sold me this ticket so...
I have seen airlines waiting the incoming flight for 20 extra mins
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
I will say that I passed thru IST in late summer, not too long after the new "turn on all cell phones and electronics" rule went into effect, and it was a downright circus queueing up for the US-bound flight. I was flying BOS-TLV-BOS, and the security checkpoint for the TLV boarding area was far less cumbersome and time-consuming than the one for the US-bound flight. I would set aside a solid hour for just the US gate nonsense.

I'd hope they've streamlined it by now, but I'm doubtful. It was a silly gauntlet of people, most of whom could have performed several of the tasks at one station. One person looked at our boarding passes and maybe our passports. We shuffled down two feet to the next person, who did something else with the tickets and passports -- checked them against a list or something, I don't recall. Then we went around the corner, and had to sign in on a clipboard. Then finally was the person who was checking the electronics. I'll keep my comments to myself on that last station, but let's just say they weren't thorough, and the whole thing was shenanigans. We were among the first in line (perhaps #10-15 in line or so), and it still took forever and a day. Do with this information what you will, but for me, especially because I was traveling with kids, I preferred to be among the first into the secure boarding area so we could then sit down and wait comfortably as opposed to being toward the end of the line and spending a ton of time standing in a long, long line to get through the checkpoint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.