Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TK experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

TK experiences?

Planning to fly TK from LAX (Los Angeles) to Tel Aviv, and back to LAX from Bucharest in a couple of months. What have your experiences been with TK on these routes? Any missed connections? I hear (and see) their flights get delayed more often than not, so I'm a bit concerned... I have a choice - at a lower price, but longer flight times - to go with Air Canada (AC)/LX or AC/Austrian Airlines.
Thanks in advance for your input!
Old Jun 16, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Firstly welcome to Flyertalk and the TK M&S forum!

I've never done these connections, but I guess you are talking about:

TK10-->TK788: 1:00hrs connection time. This is the Minimum Connection Time (MCT) for IST and TK788 is the last flight out to TLV. If you miss it, they would probably put you on the red eye flight departing 1am and arriving TLV at 3am. How much of a tragedy this would be depends on your plans the next day ...

TK1044-->TK9: 1:05hrs connection time. Again very close to the MCT. However, here you have an earlier flight from OTP to IST (TK1042) which should be safe.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply and the welcome, swiss_global! I'm thinking they get delayed pretty consistently, too, so when a first leg arrives late, the second one is also delayed (based on checking a couple of days worth of these flights).
But my question was also aimed at getting feedback on the TK overall experience, i.e., service, food, punctuality, etc., as opposed to the other airlines flying the same itinerary - e.g., AC, UA, Alitalia, AF, etc. Air Canada is actually cheaper, should I consider it instead? The return flight would be either on OS or LX.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
I flew OTP-IST-LAX and return several times in last 10 months, but in Y+ or C. With exception of IST-LAX, the flights leave on-time and arrive early. IST-LAX tends to always leave 30-90 minutes late, but always make it earlier or on-time to LAX. It is because of all connecting pax.

C and Y tend to be full, but Y+ is only full after cash upgrades. Given the 1/3 chance of getting free WiFi, great food (compared to other airlines) and great lounge in IST, I would choose TK.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, KLM Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Platinum
I just had my first TK experience on the IST-ZRH route. The flight itself was on time, but check-in was something out of a horror movie. I overheard a couple of PAX saying there was a strike, hence the mile-long check-in line at IST. It took 55 minutes to reach the counter. It might have been a one-off and like I said, the flight left on time. I was just happy to be one of those "at the airport two hours before departure" people.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Did first time 3 hours return flight to IST in Y. Good food (better than LH's LIS-FRA hot meal in Y) with two options: chicken file or fish, clean aircraft, old though (B738). Crew: The male FA’s were usually very good and accommodating and out to make sure you had a great flight. However, the female FA’s seemed to be going through the motions. At IST over half of the TK long haul fligts were delayed 1-2 hours in two different days. My Europe flights on the other hand were on time. As I was still impressed TK's product, I will book TK Y+ to HKG. My connection time will be 3 hours, that is, I'm most likely to make it, but your connection is hectic for TK and IST airport, which is at the same time one of the most disorganised airports , though modern and still easy to access. Have read reviews TK service some say They Hate You - but onboard product is good when you just accept to travel from A to B and dont have high expectations - some say crew and meals were excellent in Y+ Comfort Class. I wouldn't book OS long haul in Y.

Last edited by Abducted Alien; Jun 23, 2012 at 1:17 pm Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.