First Time Flying on TK

Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton HHonors
First Time Flying on TK

I'll be flying on TK for the first time in Feb. I'm going to ISL from IAD via IST with my wife and 1 and half year old son. We were thinking of spending a day in IST before getting on our flight to ISB. We plan on leaving IAD (TK 008) on 17th, spend 17th in IST, and leaving for ISB (TK 0710) on the 19th.

I have a couple of questions,

1) How is the experience travelling on TK with a small child. We'll be travelling in Y so I'm not expecting anything special but will it be similar to EK's economy?

2) Should I ask TK to provide us with a hotel room while we are in IST since the only possible connection we can get is exceeding 24 hours? Also, any suggestion on places we may need to visit. I have never been to Turkey but I've always wanted to visit especially to see the amazing mosques Turkey has to offer.

Any help here will be highly appreciated!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 1:58 pm

No experience with IAD-IST but AFAIK you should have a state of the art 777.

With 24+ layover IST tour & hotel are complementary.Go to the hotel desk after immigration.You'll find further info in the '' complementary hotel for transit pax ''thread in this forum.

IST-ISB you'll get a 12 year old 738,no AVOD.Flight time about six hrs.
You'll have full meal services on both flights,Alc.and soft drinks are complementary.

As for ISB Airport you may need patience & a little recklessness.

TKs service is usually hit or miss.Never travelled with a child on this route but IST-ISB can become exhausting especially when Y ( quite often ) is packed.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:15 pm
fadynaime

Programs: TK Elite Miles&Smlies, Jet Blue, Platinum medallion, Marriott Gold
haven't flown IAD-IST, but I have done ORD-IST and LAX-IST, on Y and O.

I was very happy with the service, I don't complain or ask for much on flights though. food was server hot and alcohol options not the best but available. There really is nothing to complain about.

not sure if 1.5 years needs a seat of their own, but if yes, then u should get or try to get all 3 seats on the same row. this place is configured 3-3-3 in the back.

on my previous Y flights where there has been babies,I have seen the parents sitting in the first row (up by the wall) and the flight attendant providing some kind of barrier on either side to keep the kid in there. I've also seen them assist with babies when they constantly are crying.

I think if you are nice with the crew they will be more inclined to help you.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:17 pm

Programs: TK MS E+/*G - AFKL FB G/ST E+ - LH MM - AB TB - BWR Diamond - HHo Gold - LCA Plat - Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by moeser
With 24+ layover IST tour & hotel are complementary.Go to the hotel desk after immigration.You'll find further info in the '' complementary hotel for transit pax ''thread in this forum.
NO!
Complementary tour and accommodation are only for layover between 6 and up to 24 hours.
If you stay more than 24 hours in IST, TK takes it as a stop over at your own expenses.

Here's what the FAQ on TK website say:
Only international transit passengers can attend . Your both flights should be with Turkish Airlines' flight numbers (codeshared or operated) and your connection should not be longer than 24 hours. Passengers may not get both accomodation service and Touristanbul on the same journey.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by Frontliner
NO!
Complementary tour and accommodation are only for layover between 6 and up to 24 hours.
If you stay more than 24 hours in IST, TK takes it as a stop over at your own expenses.

Only international transit passengers can attend . Your both flights should be with Turkish Airlines' flight numbers (codeshared or operated) and your connection should not be longer than 24 hours. Passengers may not get both accomodation service and Touristanbul on the same journey.
But what if they don't have any earlier flight available for ISB?

Thanks for the replies. I think we can handle the flying part w/o any issue....we're more excited about visiting IST for a day. Any suggestion on how we spend that there?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 6:10 am

NO!

Thanks for the clarification Frontliner.

I think none the less amrsid should contact TK on this matter since their is no other possibility given by them,it should be their responsibility ( crossed fingers ).
Old Dec 29, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Does TK provide in transit accommodation in IST for all passengers with less than 24 hrs connection? I would have expected for business class. Any idea on which hotels economy or comfort class passengers stay? TK website appears to be down for now otherwise would have checked with it.
Thanks,
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:07 am

Just flew lax-IST-TLV with 1.5 yr old.and 3.5 yr old. We sat in q class. It was a 777 with 3-3-3 config and we got front row bulkhead. That was a lifesaver so we could put all the toys and books and games on the floor in front of us. 1.5 yr old did not have own seat. Was brutal keeping him on my and my wifes lap till is fell asleep 3 hrs into the 11 hr flight. But then it was ok. We had him sleep on the floor in front of us but FA came by and made us.move him. VOD was a.lifesaver for the 3.5 yr old although not so good for the 1.5 yr old cuz he didn't like.wearing headphones. Hope this helps
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
NO!

Per TK FAQ min layover is 10 hrs and 7 hrs for business class at TK corporate hotels for maximum 2 nights.

Any idea which hotels are TK corporate?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.