Help a newbie redeem miles, stopover..

Old Dec 26, 2011, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Help a newbie redeem miles, stopover..

Hi all,

This is my first time redeeming M&S airmiles, and only 2nd time in all, and I was looking for some tips and help. I have 18k or so miles expiring in a few days of 42k in total. I can easily book an award ticket on THY's website, but if I want to include a stopover, do I have to call their Turkish office? I am thinking of LON-IST-DXB.

Also, there seems more value booking in business rather than economy; for one thing economy limited is pretty limited it seems. However, having read hfly in the "IST LHR A330 C" thread, it would seem that I'd need some planning and luck to make sure it was worth using extra miles and paying extra tax. Having had another look, if I flew business to IST, it'd be £10 extra tax and 5000 airmiles, compared to economy. £60 and 10k miles extra to DXB, with few economy limited seats. So any tips or info on getting better planes on these two legs?

Finally, I know it's down to choice and circumstances, but would I be using my air miles in the best way getting an award ticket compared to an upgrade? TBH, I think flying business with a stopover to Dubai for £270 and 40k miles wouldn't be too bad, if the planes were nice and new Or using up my expiring miles to fly to IST, business, for under the price of normal economy return. Alternatively, I could just let them expire..

Thanks,
New Gold
Old Dec 26, 2011, 6:45 am

Programs: TK Miles &Smile Elite, Star Alliance Gold
With TK you will never be sure what kind of aircraft will be in service. It is a pure luck game
I have flown IST _LON quite a few times and I had always small planes B737-800 and A320...on the DXB route it is seems that lately is a better aircraft but again I would not be so sure about that.
Considering what you are paying in terms of miles and taxes it is worth it anyway.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks Travelite. I have miles expiring, so just thinking whether to use or not. Economy ticket wouldn't be much of bargain, but I could roll the dice and hope to get a good seat in business on a nice new plane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.