Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Is upgrade voucher for a single segment or whole trip? Say FRA-IST-HKG, no stopovers. Is it 1 or 2 vouchers to upgrade both segments?

Is it possible to use upgrade voucher for a spouse? Single PNR, traveling together.

T&C says literally NO
http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-IN...lite_plus.aspx
Free upgrades on any Turkish Airlines flights:
As an Elite Plus card holder, your loyalty will be granted with 2 upgrades within each Elite Plus membership year without redeeming your miles from your account. You may use this privilege on any Turkish Airlines flights you wish, to upgrade your paid Turkish Airlines Economy Class flight to Business Class. Please keep in mind that the upgrades cannot be used by other persons except the Elite Plus card holder.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by dabee69
Is upgrade voucher for a single segment or whole trip? Say FRA-IST-HKG, no stopovers. Is it 1 or 2 vouchers to upgrade both segments?

Is it possible to use upgrade voucher for a spouse? Single PNR, traveling together.

T&C says literally NO
http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-IN...lite_plus.aspx
The vouchers are SWU.
R/T = 2 Vouchers.
No,but you can offer her/him your place
Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
No sucess yet

Tried to upgrade a ticket that was booked via travel agent. No luck.

Upgrade didin't go through because TK system didn't see the ticket. It was pure TK ticket. 235 with only TK coded and operated flights. J class used for Elite Plus upgrades was available. After almost an hour with 2 different agents on the phone, they said that should be possible at TK office.

Went to the local TK office, spent another 30 mins and the result was the same. Interestingly enough, TK office would have been able to upgrade those tickets for miles. I politely refused because I want to use vouchers and I don't have enough miles to upgrade R/T.

Is there any kind of written proof that upgrade vouchers are SWU, i.e. R/T = 2 vouchers. I had a discussion with TK already because one direction includes a night in IST (19h between the flights).

I cancelled the ticket for the time being. I will try to book a ticket from TK directly and upgrade then.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: milesandsmiles elite+
I haven't used the E+ upgrade benefit, yet. But with TK anything is possible. My suggestion would be to establish a good relationship with the managers of the local TK office: request kindly. They have contacted IST on my behalf a number of times and suddenly my full route upgrades are magically processed.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 2:37 am
tcm

Originally Posted by accrapolo
I haven't used the E+ upgrade benefit, yet. But with TK anything is possible. My suggestion would be to establish a good relationship with the managers of the local TK office: request kindly. They have contacted IST on my behalf a number of times and suddenly my full route upgrades are magically processed.
Good advice. Last time I asked TK CS I was told that the upgrade vouchers are per leg. However, I also know people that have used theirs as SWUs. So as you say anything is possible with TK. Having contact with local TK managers in outstations can be very beneficial when dealing with TK. One can start by taking him/her out for lunch
Old Nov 27, 2011, 3:10 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
I had one full route upgrade, posted first segment as Y and second as something else . At least wrongly processed for sure.

But anything can happen with TK indeed...
Old Nov 27, 2011, 4:08 am

Programs: milesandsmiles elite+
Originally Posted by tcm
Good advice. Last time I asked TK CS I was told that the upgrade vouchers are per leg. However, I also know people that have used theirs as SWUs. So as you say anything is possible with TK. Having contact with local TK managers in outstations can be very beneficial when dealing with TK. One can start by taking him/her out for lunch
Spoken like a true TK country manager
Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Originally Posted by tcm
One can start by taking him/her out for lunch
There is an outstanding invite for the one who will be based at the long rumored new Asian destination.

Unfortunately the staff at my home port are completely inflexible and stick to the word of the fare rules.

I was just recently moved to a more convenient flight ex-BKK on a ticket that said NO CHANGES/NONREF/NONENDO. ^ I just asked for a BP for the later flight when the earlier one opened since OLCI didn't work so I could go to the lounge... "What if I just put you on this flight?" I don't think it's changeable... "sure no problem sir". And a very nice hotel (not Air Boss or CY...) provided at IST.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:01 am

Tried to upgrade a ticket that was booked via travel agent. No luck.

Upgrade didin't go through because TK system didn't see the ticket. It was pure TK ticket. 235 with only TK coded and operated flights. J class used for Elite Plus upgrades was available. After almost an hour with 2 different agents on the phone, they said that should be possible at TK office.

Went to the local TK office, spent another 30 mins and the result was the same. Interestingly enough, TK office would have been able to upgrade those tickets for miles. I politely refused because I want to use vouchers and I don't have enough miles to upgrade R/T.

Is there any kind of written proof that upgrade vouchers are SWU, i.e. R/T = 2 vouchers. I had a discussion with TK already because one direction includes a night in IST (19h between the flights).

I cancelled the ticket for the time being. I will try to book a ticket from TK directly and upgrade then.
Thanks for this post!

I'm in the same position you were in.Booked a ticket with a TA in Europe and intend to upgrade with my vouchers at the local TK office
I tempt to say '' I'm wound up to a high pitch ''what will happen

I really don't understand why the TK system wasn't able to see your ticket,despite the booking reference AND their own airline reference
For me,it sounds like a lame excuse.

Maybe some of the others have an explanation for that
Old Nov 30, 2011, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by moeser
Thanks for this post!

I'm in the same position you were in.Booked a ticket with a TA in Europe and intend to upgrade with my vouchers at the local TK office
I tempt to say '' I'm wound up to a high pitch ''what will happen

I really don't understand why the TK system wasn't able to see your ticket,despite the booking reference AND their own airline reference
For me,it sounds like a lame excuse.

Maybe some of the others have an explanation for that
Could be incompetent agent just blaming some random things or could be communication problem between systems. I have experienced this with Expedia and TK. Always book with TK directly!

What comes to the upgrade vouchers theres no definite answer. Agents can apparently use their own discretion. It's not so precise with TK
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by joorinainen
Could be incompetent agent just blaming some random things or could be communication problem between systems. I have experienced this with Expedia and TK. Always book with TK directly!

What comes to the upgrade vouchers theres no definite answer. Agents can apparently use their own discretion. It's not so precise with TK
True.
Like it is with TK,hope for the best and expect the worse
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up Success!

Booked directly Comfort class which would have been fine to fly in case upgrade fails. ~30 minutes at local TK office, they called IST couple of times, looked into manuals and did some other activities. SUCCESS! 1 RT = 4 flights, all upgraded to J with Elite Plus vouchers.

I am very happy about having confirmed J on the long flight to LAX.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:39 am

Booked directly Comfort class which would have been fine to fly in case upgrade fails. ~30 minutes at local TK office, they called IST couple of times, looked into manuals and did some other activities. SUCCESS! 1 RT = 4 flights, all upgraded to J with Elite Plus vouchers.

I am very happy about having confirmed J on the long flight to LAX.
Thank you for the information dabee69! Im sure there is lot of E+ members which would like to know more about these almost mythical vouchers!

Did you check before your flight(s) that Z-class had availability? Quick checking around with Expertflyer shows totally random behavior of Z and in some routes it's not even listed all the times(try BKK).
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:19 pm

I would also like to know if these vouchers stack up if you don't use them within a year of your Elite+ membership. TK's website doesn't do anything else than get's you angry. I mean how hard could it be to write these things up on their website. Even the booklet which comes with the card doesn't explain these vouchers.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joorinainen
Did you check before your flight(s) that Z-class had availability? Quick checking around with Expertflyer shows totally random behavior of Z and in some routes it's not even listed all the times(try BKK).
Elite Plus upgrades book into J. Points upgrades and rewards book into I.

Generally J has much better availability than I.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.