Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by cheesedawg
But you get Y mileage
Y shorthaul and O (high comfort) longhaul.
O earns the same as J and also earns Elite bonus.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:44 am

Programs: TK Elite
Question

To request the complimentary upgrade, should I have my ticket issued or owning a reservation is good enough? I'd like to try my first Elite Plus Complimentary Upgrade before buying/paying the ticket.

Otherwise, if upgrade is not granted, I would go and buy business class ticket directly.

Thanks
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by stevespam
To request the complimentary upgrade, should I have my ticket issued or owning a reservation is good enough? I'd like to try my first Elite Plus Complimentary Upgrade before buying/paying the ticket.

Otherwise, if upgrade is not granted, I would go and buy business class ticket directly.

Thanks
Ticket must be paid for before you can upgrade.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:44 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stevespam

Thanks
Upgrades book into a specific class. So if the class is available, there shouldnt be a problem.
Having said that, getting it to work flawlessly is hit and miss when you arrange this through the call centre. IF you have the option, I suggest to do the complete booking/upgrade procedure at a TK office.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: TK Elite
Thanks aulrik and gilbertaue!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:58 pm

Is the upgrade voucher refunded in case the whole booking gets cancelled?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by bamba70
Is the upgrade voucher refunded in case the whole booking gets cancelled?
I wonder if this is a typical "depends on who you talk to" TK issue. I have only tried it once myself, and I got the voucher refunded, but I had to ask for it and it took a while.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus; UA Gold Elite; Marriott Platinum Elite
In my experience, I had to pay some nominal fee (about $20 I think) to have the voucher refunded back into my account.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:56 am

I just spoke to a rep who said it's $25 to refund the voucher if the refund request is made before the departure time, and $50 to refund it after the departure time.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 4:53 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
As stated elsewhere, I was able to redeposit my (2) vouchers when I made date changes to a (previously upgraded) booking earlier this year. No fee for redeposit.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
For general entertainment, a transcript of my most recent go at redeeming E+ upgrade vouchers:

1. call: Everything goes well, but at the very end of the call the agent says "oops, now we have redeemed 120'000 miles from your account for the upgrades instead of the vouchers. We'll fix that, call us back in 4h to use your vouchers."
- indeed, 120'000 miles disappear and re-appear from my account within a few hours.
2. call: Yes, you can use your vouchers but 2 vouchers can only upgrade 2 segments (YUL-IST-ZRH) and not 2 directions (YUL-IST-ZRH and ZRH-IST-YUL). HUCA.
3. call: Sorry, the system is down, call back later.
4. call: See 2. call
5. call: Yes, you can use your vouchers and of course each voucher will upgrade one direction, including a connection. Upgrade is done.

Call 2 was placed to the E+ line in Turkey, but was immediately connected to what I presume to be the same offshore call center as all others.

Oh the joys of dealing with TK.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Got my vouchers redeemed (upgraded 2 trips JFK-NRT, IST-YYZ) this membership year when I passed by downtown Chicago earlier today, IMO, well worth the effort going there in person.

My steps (version 2016)

1. Booked the flights and held them (Pay Later option) but didn't get it ticketed yet.
2. Checked and ensured there were J seats available by going into http://matrix.itasoftware.com, one could do mock booking of 9 J tickets to gauge the availability.
3. Got the reference number and handed it to the person in Chicago office, she told me I needed to pay and had it ticketed in order to upgrade.
4. Again, asked her to verify all segments could be upgraded and then proceeded to ticketing.
5. Paid for the ticket and completed the upgrade process, ticket agent made photocopy of my E+ card.

The whole thing was completed in less than 10 minutes without any errors nor fuss. I was also able to upgrade 2 segments JFK-IST-NRT (again, you need to make this as first connection available, no stopover) by redeeming only 1 voucher, and another for IST-YYZ, unfortunately I wasn't sure if I was going to Japan again so I left the return segment open with IST-YYZ.

Last edited by vincewy; Jun 22, 2016 at 3:21 pm
Old Jun 21, 2016, 11:59 pm

My latest experience using vouchers, a month ago:

1) Called the TK call center and talked to a surprisingly friendly and serviceminded girl that spoke close to perfect English. After about 10 min. of tapping on her computer the upgrade were done, and I was redirected to the automatic phone system for entering my MS pin code. I did so, but the system did not work. The girl apologized and told me she would hold the upgrade and have someone call me back.

2) Non-surprisingly no one from TK ever called me back, and I never received any upgrade confirmation or the usual email saying that 0 miles have been deducted from my account, for the upgrade. However, when I checked my ticket online, it now included the booked seat in Y + a seat in J.

3) I wanted to push my luck, so I didn't call TK back or do anything else. On departure day, when I showed up for check-in, the usual girl was there and greeted me as usual and then asked me: "I see you got one booking in economy and one in business, which one of the bookings do you want to use?". I replied that I would prefer the business seat, and I got it.

4) Now a month later, I still haven't heard anything from TK, so yesterday when I was at the airport anyway, I stopped by their ticket office and asked if they could check how many vouchers I had left. I did indeed have one voucher left (so TK never used a voucher for my previous upgrade).

Time will tell if TK discover the mistake and deduct me one voucher in the future, but somehow I doubt they do any auditing on upgrades and I might have gotten a "free" upgrade.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Just a data point - I just went to TK ticketing office, first we made sure upgrades are available, then I booked a ticket through them, and they processed the upgrade. Used 2 vouchers for 4 legs so 1 per direction. Worked glitch-free.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.85MM // AS MVPG100K // TK Elite Plus // AA EXP // Bonvoy TE // Hyatt Explorist
Validity of E+ Upgrades?

I'm a new Elite Plus and I am wondering when my first 2 vouchers will expire. Are they Jan-Dec or are they valid for one year from the time I earned E+ (July-June)?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.