Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
As vincewy mentioned, not all origins seem to allow "hold" reservations on the TK website. YUL for one does not.

Here's my experience in redeeming my vouchers - a reasonably straightforward experience:
  • Checked on TK website if my complete O&D itinerary is available in both Economy and J class (by searching for Business and checking if it books into J)
  • Called TK Elite+ line in Turkey to confirm voucher upgrade availability on chosen flights. Hotline said 1 voucher = 1 flight segment upgrade, not 1 direction incl. connection.
  • Booked Economy class flights on TK website
  • Called TK Elite+ line in Turkey again, provided booking reference, asked for voucher upgrades.
  • 30min on the phone, including keying in my membership number and PIN to validate.
  • 2 long-haul segments upgraded to J, 2 intra-Europe segments remain in Y.
All in, a bit cumbersome but not too bad. And kudos to TK for allowing upgrades off even the lowest Economy fares without any co-pay (or miles!). ^
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
Got my upgrade done fairly quickly over the phone, 10min I would say.

Got the LH to PVG plus the short leg to europe upgraded using one voucher again.

Last year I got an issue at check in as my baggage allowance was only 20kg despite being in business. I only had 40kg of baggages so it was ok with my E+ allowance (I had to recall it to the check in agent as she wanted to charge me for the extra KG).

After being upgraded just few minutes ago I notice that my ticket is still referring to 20KG.

From/To Carrier Flght Cls Date Time Fare Basis Bag Tkt St Cpn St Nvb Nva
*ISTANBUL(IST)
SHANGHAI(PVG) TK 0026 J 02APR 00:40 20K OK OPEN 02APR 02APR
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by pvgman
Got my upgrade done fairly quickly over the phone, 10min I would say.

Got the LH to PVG plus the short leg to europe upgraded using one voucher again.

Last year I got an issue at check in as my baggage allowance was only 20kg despite being in business. I only had 40kg of baggages so it was ok with my E+ allowance (I had to recall it to the check in agent as she wanted to charge me for the extra KG).

After being upgraded just few minutes ago I notice that my ticket is still referring to 20KG.

From/To Carrier Flght Cls Date Time Fare Basis Bag Tkt St Cpn St Nvb Nva
*ISTANBUL(IST)
SHANGHAI(PVG) TK 0026 J 02APR 00:40 20K OK OPEN 02APR 02APR
Same here.The baggage allowance was always Y for the last 3 years.
From ADD it doesn't matter much because it is already 40 kg
With 20 kg though I would be in trouble more often.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by airoli
As vincewy [*]2 long-haul segments upgraded to J, 2 intra-Europe segments remain in Y.[/list] ^
Does your itinerary include stops in Istanbul?

The intra-Europe segments should also be upgraded to J if your connecting flight leaves within 24 hours of your incoming flight, or did TK change the rules for the voucher?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by vivamuci
Does your itinerary include stops in Istanbul?
My itinerary does not include stops in IST, they are straight <5h connections.

I don't think TK changed "the rules" - more likely, it's just the result of how the particular agent I dealt with interpreted them. Inconsistencies like these make up the particular charms of TK I believe.

If you read through this thread, the ways in which people here were able (or not) to use their vouchers is anything but consistent.

I considered myself lucky to have my 2 long-haul segments upgraded.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
To redeem I'd still recommend going in person if possible, there are many things that could go wrong.

If your schedules and itineraries aren't finalized, just get long haul - IST return upgraded, this usually has the most Js available and try to patch up the connections later. TK often has sales on regional flights, if not, you can also connect with Atlas Air, Onur, Pegasus, or other LCC (some through SAW).
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by vincewy
TK often has sales on regional flights, if not, you can also connect with Atlas Air, Onur, Pegasus, or other LCC (some through SAW).
The problem with booking separate tickets to IST and then from IST to your (short-haul) destination is that you are not protected in case of delays or IRROPS.

Given TK's weak on-time record, it is quite a gamble to book a connection to/from IST on a separate ticket, unless you plan on spending the night anyways.

I would think twice before taking that risk for sake of circumventing married segment availability for J class.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by airoli
The problem with booking separate tickets to IST and then from IST to your (short-haul) destination is that you are not protected in case of delays or IRROPS.

Given TK's weak on-time record, it is quite a gamble to book a connection to/from IST on a separate ticket, unless you plan on spending the night anyways.

I would think twice before taking that risk for sake of circumventing married segment availability for J class.
You are correct that in most cases try to get married segments. Usually the problem is short haul connecting long haul where if you miss the connection you're royally screwed (short haul is much easier to deal with even under the worst case scenario [exceptions would be flights to secondary cities where TK only offer less than twice daily and/or very expensive with no competitors in the market]).

I'm usually risk averse and stay in IST at least 24 - 72 hours for the above scenario. Depending on certain situations when it's worth taking a chance with backup plans, because going YYZ-IST(stopover)-TPE on the outbound trip is $750 CAD cheaper than YYZ-ESB (stopover)-TPE outbound. Plus there are flights every hour between ESB and IST.

So it will be ESB-IST (cheap 55TLR ticket), connecting IST-TPE in J with 4 hours and 10 minutes in IST.

TK 2171 ESB-IST (8:00pm - 9:05pm)
TK 24 IST-TPE (1:15 am next day)

I am still not quite comfortable with 4 hours and 10 minutes margin; to hedge this risk, I bought another ESB-IST ticket TK 2163 leaving at 6pm, if I finish things early, I'll most likely take this flight.

If the weather forecast in Ankara or Istanbul is not so good the day before I may just chill out in Istanbul.

Last edited by vincewy; Mar 31, 2015 at 8:14 pm
Old May 11, 2015, 8:15 am

Planning next trip except I am trying to redeem upgrade vouchers spanning 2 membership years (else I lose the vouchers I have this membership year).

YYZ (or anywhere in North America) - IST - KIX/NRT. (travelling during next membership year)

Has anyone attempted and succeeded -

1. Upgraded YYZ-IST segments this membership year.
2. As soon as next membership year begins, upgrade IST-Japan segments.

Of course, provided J fare buckets remain open for all segments (married segments).
Old May 13, 2015, 4:56 am

Programs: TK E+
Now when flightstats.com no longer show availability in booking classes, what is the best way to check if there is any seats in J? I prefer to get a confirmation online before I start the tedious work of calling TK's CS.
Old May 13, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by aulrik
Now when flightstats.com no longer show availability in booking classes, what is the best way to check if there is any seats in J? I prefer to get a confirmation online before I start the tedious work of calling TK's CS.
Expertflyer is paid but great
Old May 13, 2015, 6:25 am

Dummy booking on TKs website
Old May 13, 2015, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by moeser
and preferably do a dummy booking of at least 4 persons to ensure availability even if you're only booking for yourself.

I have updated my post here to reflect the change.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22849602-post112.html
Old May 14, 2015, 12:22 am

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by moeser
But does this show availability in the the booking class needed for upgrading by using voucher (J?). Wont this only show if there is any award seats available?
Old May 15, 2015, 3:24 am

But does this show availability in the the booking class needed for upgrading by using voucher (J?). Wont this only show if there is any award seats available?
It will show you the available booking classes,i.e. J / D / C

If J is available,jump into action

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.