Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by pdx1M
I renewed recently and the wanted an interview. Agent at the interview wasn't really sure why but said the system told him it wanted a new photo and fingerprints so that's what we did. He was actually jazzed to have a "pioneer" for GE in for a renewal as he said that not many folks had been in the program long enough to be ready to renew. Had a nice chat and I was still out and back in my car before my actual scheduled time since I had arrived about 10 minutes early. So - don't ignore the interview request/button as it is required if they ask for it.
Do they notify you when your 5 years is up? I don't remember when I signed up, but I think I'm coming up on 5 years now, too.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Do they notify you when your 5 years is up? I don't remember when I signed up, but I think I'm coming up on 5 years now, too.
You'll get an email about 6 months before your expiration (i.e. 6 months before your next birthday)

They will also send a snail mail letter a couple months before expiration.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:00 pm

I know for Nexus they will make sure that you are aware.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
You can also go back to the GOES website and it will show your expiration date. I actually renewed a bit early to take advantage of UA picking up the tab before they dropped that benefit. You can renew when you are within 1 year of expiration.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingSky
Thanks for the reply! In the waiting process now, hopefully will be able to get GE before my next series of trips (domestic and intl) in May.
If all goes well the conditional approval takes a few days and you may be able to get an interview slot in a matter of days from that, but you do have to get to a center. GE becomes effective immediately. Pre-Check requires you to provide the Known Traveler number to the airline and may require a refresh of existing reservations.

GE saved us some time at ORD recently when an unplanned bunching of international arrivals happened. The resulting slow baggage delay undid some of the gain though!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt Plat.
Originally Posted by MADPhil
If all goes well the conditional approval takes a few days and you may be able to get an interview slot in a matter of days from that, but you do have to get to a center. GE becomes effective immediately. Pre-Check requires you to provide the Known Traveler number to the airline and may require a refresh of existing reservations.

GE saved us some time at ORD recently when an unplanned bunching of international arrivals happened. The resulting slow baggage delay undid some of the gain though!
Thanks! I've been checking back on the site daily, and I live within a reasonable distance of Newark Intl (EWR) so hopefully I'll be able to get an interview setup soon!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:50 pm

Conditionally approved already with an interview scheduled. That was fast!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Yes, it seems to work pretty slickly if your application is straightforward. All being well the interview will be short and sweet and you will have immediate approval. My interview was only slowed down by the time it took to get the fingerprint reader to like my fingerprints. I had no trouble the first, and so far only, time I used a GE kiosk.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
Yes, it seems to work pretty slickly if your application is straightforward. All being well the interview will be short and sweet and you will have immediate approval. My interview was only slowed down by the time it took to get the fingerprint reader to like my fingerprints. I had no trouble the first, and so far only, time I used a GE kiosk.
Sounds good! Looking forward to (hopefully) having Pre Check on my next domestic flight in a few weeks!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:25 am

Yup and be sure to check for appointment cancellations. My whole process from application to card received was a matter of weeks.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:28 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but figured someone would know. In anticipation of getting TSA Pre Check, and since my name will be listed (First/Last, no middle initial since that is how it is on my passport), I updated some reservations with airlines and removed my middle initial from some tickets. I just was wondering if, when an airline updates a name (in this case, removing my middle initial from a current reservation), does this update the entire reservation (including secure passenger data?). I would imagine so, but just curious. Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but figured someone would know. In anticipation of getting TSA Pre Check, and since my name will be listed (First/Last, no middle initial since that is how it is on my passport), I updated some reservations with airlines and removed my middle initial from some tickets. I just was wondering if, when an airline updates a name (in this case, removing my middle initial from a current reservation), does this update the entire reservation (including secure passenger data?). I would imagine so, but just curious. Thanks!
I am fairly certain that, once a PNR is made, no changes to the name can be made in the record.

They may have changed how the name appears when you pull it up on-line, but the way the name is entered in the original record remains, which is what the TSA will see.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I am fairly certain that, once a PNR is made, no changes to the name can be made in the record.

They may have changed how the name appears when you pull it up on-line, but the way the name is entered in the original record remains, which is what the TSA will see.
Ok thanks! Hopefully I will still get Pre Check on those tickets!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:44 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
We can always play with your SecureFlight data at no charge. You will have to get the right agent to know how to do this though.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Starblazer
We can always play with your SecureFlight data at no charge. You will have to get the right agent to know how to do this though.
I called United just now and spoke with a fairly knowledgable agent who confirmed that my middle initial was removed from the secure passenger data when they updated my name, so I guess it's all set!

Last edited by FlyingSky; Apr 1, 2015 at 8:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.