Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2009, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Excuse me for not yet reading the entire thread but I did search it.

Is Global Entry essentially the same as PortPass which was suspended after 9/11? (PortPass was the renamed version of INSPASS.)

I loved PortPass, even though the machine at AA JFK didn't often work. If you were at the machine they waived you to the first available inspector.
Sounds similar. Never heard of PortPass.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Excuse me for not yet reading the entire thread but I did search it.

Is Global Entry essentially the same as PortPass which was suspended after 9/11? (PortPass was the renamed version of INSPASS.)

I loved PortPass, even though the machine at AA JFK didn't often work. If you were at the machine they waived you to the first available inspector.

Well, sort of but not really. INSPass and PortPass were designed specifically for business travelers. They used hand geometry (which I guess was considered a better technology at the time) as the biometric indicator. The program included an issued card, whereas GlobalEntry does not have a card. Instead, you insert the passport's MRZ (or green card's MRZ) into the GlobalEntry kiosk and you provide four digital fingerprints.

I was an INSPass member, but tried to use the program only once. When I used it, the Customs inspector pulled me aside and asked me many questions about my travel for "business," since INSPass was supposed to be for business travelers only. What a nuisance!

Fortunately, GlobalEntry is not restricted for business travelers only. AND, there are no minimum international travel requirements. Anybody who wishes to pay (and is eligible to join) can become a member. And the processing is MUCH quicker.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by mre5765
Sounds similar. Never heard of PortPass.
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Well, sort of but not really. INSPass and PortPass were designed specifically for business travelers. They used hand geometry (which I guess was considered a better technology at the time) as the biometric indicator. The program included an issued card, whereas GlobalEntry does not have a card. Instead, you insert the passport's MRZ (or green card's MRZ) into the GlobalEntry kiosk and you provide four digital fingerprints.

I was an INSPass member, but tried to use the program only once. When I used it, the Customs inspector pulled me aside and asked me many questions about my travel for "business," since INSPass was supposed to be for business travelers only. What a nuisance!

Fortunately, GlobalEntry is not restricted for business travelers only. AND, there are no minimum international travel requirements. Anybody who wishes to pay (and is eligible to join) can become a member. And the processing is MUCH quicker.
I had an INSPASS and after it was replaced by the PORTPASS program, I had one of those. PORTPASS did not only use hand biometrics but also had your picture on it (visible) as well two index fingerprints (not visible) plus the numerical codes from your passport.

PORTPASS did indeed require a personal appearance at what was then the INS. In my case, because they needed to resolve a name issue, I was asked one or two questions about my business travelling.

As mentioned previously, my international travels usually brought me back to the old AA terminal at JFK where the PORTPASS machine was generally not working. All you had to do was get the attention of a nearby INS inspector and you were next in line.

I have never in my life had INS ask me any questions about my business. I have occasionally had Customs ask me what I consider very benign questions on the nature of "Q. What do you do? A. Lawyer. Q. What sort of business did you do? A. Meeting with other lawyers." That was it.

ESpen36, you are raising for me a very interesting point and I apologize to everyone if this has already been answered. (I'm going to read the entire thread as soon as I can.) What is the nature of the interview? How long does it take? Where does it take place? Are any US citizens or lawful permanent residents ever turned down for Global Entry?
Old Aug 22, 2009, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Picked up my sticker at JFK today! In fact, the officer was in such a good mood, he gave me 2 stickers! ("one for good luck")
Where is the office at JFK? Is there more than one?
Old Aug 22, 2009, 5:38 pm

Couples

I've now read the entire thread and no one has answered this question.

Ordinarily a husband and wife traveling together are allowed a) to use one declaration; and b) to combine $800 duty free exemptions (e.g. husband spends $600 but wife spends $1,000).

If both husband and wife have Global Entry registrations, how would you accomplish this without one getting charged duty?
Old Aug 22, 2009, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver

Ordinarily a husband and wife traveling together are allowed a) to use one declaration; and b) to combine $800 duty free exemptions (e.g. husband spends $600 but wife spends $1,000).

If both husband and wife have Global Entry registrations, how would you accomplish this without one getting charged duty?
Wife answers yes to the kiosk. Husband answers no.

Wife goes to passport control, hubby wanders over to the duty station to wait for wife.

Wife and hubby explain to the duty station what the deal is, and 99% of the time they let the wife through. 1% of the time, they charge her duty which is of course illegal, but who cares, 3% of $200 is $6.

$6 * 1% of the time to get to the front of the line is 6 cents per trip. The gov't is racking of $9T in more debt over the next 10 years, it needs the 6 cents more than you do.

Every time I've gone a few hundred dollars over the duty limit, customs never charges me. They mainly want people to comply 100% and tell the truth 100%. Don't mess with global entry: tell the truth. As I noted in my experience using Global Entry, I was over $200 over my exemption and the duty station waved the $7.

The irony is I waited a half hour for a train from the international terminal to the United terminal. Global Entry needs to come with free shuttle service.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite

This is a legitimate question that you should submit through the CBP website so that hopefully they would improve the software on the machines. I agree with mre5765 that, at worst, one of you would be delayed a few minutes to give an explanation. IME also, customs usually waived the duty if one is $200-$300 over the limit.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ESpen36, you are raising for me a very interesting point and I apologize to everyone if this has already been answered. (I'm going to read the entire thread as soon as I can.) What is the nature of the interview? How long does it take? Where does it take place? Are any US citizens or lawful permanent residents ever turned down for Global Entry?

I actually never did a GlobalEntry interview because I was a NEXUS member and received free GlobalEntry as an additional benefit.

I suspect, however, that the part of my NEXUS interview conducted by the US CBP officer was quite similar to what a GlobalEntry interview would be like. Basically, here's what happened in that portion of my appointment:

1) The officer took my digital fingerprints and asked, "have you ever been arrested for anything, anytime, anywhere?" I truthfully responded, "no." He said, "well, we'll know for sure in just a moment when your prints come back!"

2) The officer thumbed through my passport and asked me a few questions about the nature of my travel, the places I've visited in the last several years, what I do for a living, etc. Basic background stuff.

3) The officer explained to me that the program involves becoming a Trusted Traveler. With this status, I will be able to receive expedited processing when I enter the United States. I will be exempt from routine Immigration and Customs questioning. However, I could be subject to a random inspection.

4) The officer then got quite serious. He said that as a Trusted Traveler, I will be held to a higher standard than most travelers. Because I have been vetted and designated "low risk," the government has taken a chance on me that I will obey customs and immigration laws. But if they catch me smuggling, the penalties would be very steep, AND I would lose my Trusted Traveler status, probably forever. In other words, being a GlobalEntry member is not a license to bring in whatever you want because you can avoid most inspections. It's a voluntary program, but violating the law while a member could subject me to harsher penalties than the general public might face if found in violation of the same law. The officer said he needed me to indicate that I understood.

5) Finally, the officer demonstrated use of the kiosk machine. In my case, it was the NEXUS iris scanner. For GlobalEntry, it would be the fingerprint scanner.

That's pretty much it! The whole interview process took 30 minutes, including fingerprinting. You should plan on being at the airport for approximately an hour, since you might have to wait for your appointment to begin.

As to your question about qualifying....generally, US Citizens and permanent residents should be approved to participate in the program if they pay the fee and submit to an interview with biometrics. Here's the list of disqualifying factors (available here):

However, individuals may not qualify if they:
Are inadmissible to the United States under applicable immigration laws;
Provide false or incomplete information on their application;
Have been convicted of a criminal offense in any country;
Have been found in violation of customs or immigration laws; or
Fail to meet other Global Entry requirements.

Last edited by ESpen36; Aug 22, 2009 at 8:13 pm
Old Aug 22, 2009, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where is the office at JFK? Is there more than one?

The GlobalEntry enrollment office at JFK is in Terminal 4, on the arrivals level. Look to the right of the Customs exit (where travelers emerge) and you will see an enclosed hallway of colorful glass. Walk into that hallway and you will see a sign saying "NSEERS." Both GlobalEntry and NSEERS are located in the same office. Just walk in and speak to the officers there.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Folks,

I have signed up for Global Entry as I do a bit of international travel and will appreciate the extra time I would gain.

Since kids / children need to be 14 to become a member, would I gain any benefits if I was traveling with one or both of my children (aged 3 and 1)? What I'm asking is that since they can't get Global Entry, would I be able to skip to the front of the conventional line with them, since I, myself was a member?

If so, is there a limit (i.e. 1 adult with GE gets to skip ahead with 1 child), or can 1 parent with GE skip ahead with both kids?

Personally, I wouldn't be likely to be traveling with both kids, but if my wife took a family trip outside the US, she might be in that situation, so I might sign her up...
This was the closest thing that came up during my search, but I didn't see an answer here in this thread, although admittedly I could have missed it since it's pretty long.

Is there a definitive answer as to what happens when a Global Entry person is traveling with a child, who obviously wouldn't be in the program? No luck searching the cbp.gov site or their help section.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SAN-man
This was the closest thing that came up during my search, but I didn't see an answer here in this thread, although admittedly I could have missed it since it's pretty long.

Is there a definitive answer as to what happens when a Global Entry person is traveling with a child, who obviously wouldn't be in the program? No luck searching the cbp.gov site or their help section.
You don't get front of line privileges. Line up.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 7:06 pm

Arrived ATL 08/24/09 from ZRH: 1000a - 225p ZRH - ATL DL 67 the INS lines were monumental. I counted a huge amount of incoming international flights

Amsterdam
Athens
Barcelona
Belize
Bogota
Brussels
Cancen
Cancen
Caracas
Copenhagan
Dublin
Frankfrut
Frankfurt
Guatemlaa city
London
Kingston
Manchester
Mexico cirty
Milano
Montego bay
Munich
Paris
Paris
Prague
Rome
San jose
San pedro
Stuttgart
Tokyo
Venice
Zurich

Then I asked for the Global Entry kiosk - I was out and at luggage claim in 5 minutes.

Except for wheelchairs I was the only person at luggage claim for 40+ minutes.

Amazing.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bowdenj
Arrived ATL 08/24/09 from ZRH: 1000a - 225p ZRH - ATL DL 67 the INS lines were monumental. [...]

Then I asked for the Global Entry kiosk - I was out and at luggage claim in 5 minutes.

Except for wheelchairs I was the only person at luggage claim for 40+ minutes.

Amazing.
Isn't though?

But I feel like we are enjoying the beginning of a gravy train. The cost for Global Entry is very low, and at those prices we'll see many more sign up. So enjoy it while it lasts.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by mre5765
I feel like we are enjoying the beginning of a gravy train. The cost for Global Entry is very low, and at those prices we'll see many more sign up. So enjoy it while it lasts.
I dissent. I think that the VAST majority of flyers (who aren't members of a website like this one) would NOT consider $100/5years worth the cost and the headaches of the application process.

Remember that this program is only open (primarily) to US Citizens and Permanent residents. IIRC, the percentage of US citizens who even HOLD passports is silly low. Even if the program increases in size, I cannot imagine a time when those who use GE will ever have to wait for more than a few moments till the EXPERIENCED travelers in front of them are finished.

I hope I'm right.
Dave
Old Aug 26, 2009, 7:31 am

Is there a list of interview sites? I am especially curious if I can interview in downtown DC at CBP headquarters or does one have to go all the way out to Dulles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.