Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by ESpen36
As a reminder, GOES is not a trusted traveler program, nor a "card." GOES is simply a web-based application system that you can use to apply for various trusted traveler programs, including GlobalEntry, NEXUS, SENTRI, and FAST.
OK, but with GOES I will get some marking in my passport and be able to do the retina-thing, right?

Upon further reading of the Flex program, there are US CPB GOES agents staffed at Schiphol so it seems I can get at least registered with GOES at AMS. Whatever the heck that means. I'll worry about this once my application is accepted.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
OK, but with GOES I will get some marking in my passport and be able to do the retina-thing, right?
there may be a privium card. You do get a sticker in your passport for Global Entry. There is nothing issued for "GOES" GOES is the mechanism to sign up for trusted travel program.
Upon further reading of the Flex program, there are US CPB GOES agents staffed at Schiphol so it seems I can get at least registered with GOES at AMS. Whatever the heck that means. I'll worry about this once my application is accepted.
You register with GOES on the web. You visit a US CBP office for an interview.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:47 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
As a reminder, GOES is not a trusted traveler program, nor a "card." GOES is simply a web-based application system that you can use to apply for various trusted traveler programs, including GlobalEntry, NEXUS, SENTRI, and FAST.
An excellent reminder. ^

GOES = Global Online Enrollment System. (Computer Program/Website)
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yes I registered with GOES on the Flex website and paid something like a €79 GOES fee plus the Flex fee plus Dutch VAT for a total of €100
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
The agent who did my in-person interview suggested I keep a mostly filled-out customs form in my passport in case the machine is down, etc.

That way, I don't lose any time and just input the flight info, sign and date and it's ready to go.

Looking forward to using this weekend on a MR to FRA through IAD!
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by goaliemn
You do get a sticker in your passport for Global Entry.
Not necessarily. I renewed my expired NEXUS. Then I applied for (no additional cost) Global Entry. I was approved and used it at the kiosk at IAH a week later. Because I already had NEXUS, I didn't have to go for an interview/scans. There was a CBP person at the kiosk, but no comments about my non-existent sticker.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:11 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by goaliemn
You do get a sticker in your passport for Global Entry.
No sticker in my passport for GE.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
No sticker in my passport for GE.
You can stop by any of the enrollment stations and they'll give you a small "CBP" sticker to attach to the back of your passport. This will alert a CBP officer that you're enrolled in GE if the kiosks are not functional.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
As a recent data point, used Global Entry at LAX yesterday coming back on UA from SYD. Was towards the back in E+ but appeared to be the first using the GE kiosk. As such, passed a number of people that were up in C, at least so far as I was able to tell. Got to Customs exit within the first couple of people off of the bird (Customs officer was still smoking and joking when I got up there). Was GE worth it? Mos def.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 7:53 am

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by chollie
Not necessarily. I renewed my expired NEXUS. Then I applied for (no additional cost) Global Entry. I was approved and used it at the kiosk at IAH a week later. Because I already had NEXUS, I didn't have to go for an interview/scans. There was a CBP person at the kiosk, but no comments about my non-existent sticker.
I did the same thing (nexus user added free global entry). I went to one of the interview locations (ATL) and they put a sticker in my passport for me. Its supposed to let you use the crew lines when the machines are down.

I see others already covered it as well.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Just an update on my application. I'm at the 2 weeks plus point, and my status is still "pending review". They had no problem charging my CC the $100, however.

Last edited by milepig; Jun 10, 2009 at 3:48 pm
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
Just an update on my application. I'm at the 2 weeks plus point, and my status is still "pending review". They had no problem charging my CC the $100, however.

Depending on a number of factors, it could take a bit longer for them to complete your background investigation. These factors include:
- how frequently you travel into/out of the country
- how complex your address/employment history is
- whether you have a record of any kind with any federal, state, or local authorities--any kind of criminal convictions could disqualify you, especially if they involved smuggling or another high-risk crime from the perspective of travel/transportation
- whether you have ever been found in violation of immigration/customs regulations
- how easy/difficult it is to verify the details you provided on your application
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy

Actually, no in both cases. You will get a little sticker for the back of your passport (either at the interview, or by stopping by any enrollment office after you have been approved for membership). But this sticker is not required in order to use the kiosks.

Secondly, CBP does not use retina scans for GlobalEntry. Instead, you use digital fingerprints to confirm your identity at the kiosks. You might be thinking of NEXUS, which uses retina scans at the machines located at airports inside Canada.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:02 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Reading this thread got me interested in GE, I have two questions: (1)If an airport is listed does that mean that all terminals are included--JFK is listed, but they don't specify if aa (terminal 8) has a kiosk, (2)If you renew your passport during the 5 year period, do you have to reapply (and pay the fee again)?
Old Jun 4, 2009, 1:40 am

Programs: UA 2K, Marriott Platinium, Global Entry, Hyatt Diamond
1. I believe so.
2. They told me to just stop back by one of the offices with the new passport and they would update it in the computer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.