Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Old Mar 25, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Not in my experiances. Often times the booths nearby are unmanned. This happend at Dulles, Intercontinental, Miami, and Newark to me just in the last 5 weeks of int'l flights.

Also, the few time I get x'd now I go straight to the front of the line, wave the receipt and my CBP sticker and get next-up privies. I have been told the protocol is to go to the front each time. My US CBP contacts say the same thing.

one point of GE is to avoid lines.

Ciao,
FH
Right, I get that, but at least IAD, SFO and LAX all have their GE kiosks positioned next to the crew lane, which is usually open for obvious reasons. If there is no one there, of course I would go to the next closest line.

Originally Posted by IADtoWhere
Does Global Entry give you any advantage when entering into Canada?

I'm concerned about a connection on an upcoming SYD-YVR-YYZ-DCA itinerary.
Not entering, but you are allowed to use the crew lane when doing pre-clearance.

Originally Posted by canred
Unfortunately, no. It will not help you entering Canada or entering the US at a Canadian airport with pre-clearance (including YYZ). You need to have NEXUS to help in both these circumstances.
Nope. In pre-clearance, you get to use the crew lane if you are GE only. That changed along with the expansion of GE on 1/1/11
Old Mar 25, 2011, 2:37 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by N1120A
Right, I get that, but at least IAD, SFO and LAX all have their GE kiosks positioned next to the crew lane, which is usually open for obvious reasons. If there is no one there, of course I would go to the next closest line.

My point was more about getting in line. Would you get in line to be "polite" or were you just noting you headed to that area then present the sticker for head-of-line privies? Not a big deal I was more talking about going straight to the front.

Ciao,
FH
Old Mar 26, 2011, 7:00 am

My apologies for providing incorrect info. Would someone please provide a link to the revised benefits as I have not been able to find the reference for any changes on 1/1/11 other than the change allowing Mexican passport holders to apply.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi,

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
My point was more about getting in line. Would you get in line to be "polite" or were you just noting you headed to that area then present the sticker for head-of-line privies? Not a big deal I was more talking about going straight to the front.

Ciao,
FH
Last time I arrived at ATL, I got X-ed. I presented myself on the side of the crew line (since the kiosks are next to the crew line). The agent then waved me over to move to the crew line as first in line.

(Of course, the KLM crew who was being processed at the time got agitated since I got in between them, but I told them what it was all about. Reminder to all travelers: there may be someone next to you who speaks your language )

So, yes, the CBP officers will help you skip the whole line.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by popeyethesailerman
came back from jamaca into atlanta with 14 yo daughter. i have, she does not. line to regular over 200 people. smudged fingerprint, got card, took d to front of line and agent said no problem with minor.

4 min
Excellent. Thanks very much for the useful data point!
Old Mar 29, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
OMG, GE rocks!

Just landed from LHR @ LAX T2 and used GE for the 1st time, Wow what a difference. The kiosks are on the far left as you enter, and they were blocked by ropes, so I got the attention of a CBP officer and just said I need to get to the kiosks and he motioned me to go under them.

Machine didn't automatically read my passport so I put in my number manually and answered the questions and done, got my white slip.

The separate lane for GE was closed off and a huffy woman in a line of 75 or so said "the line is right here and you have to go to the end!" I said "I don't wait in your lines" and pushed the poles that were blocking the lane and walked right up to the officer with my slop and he pointed to the exit and said "welcome home, they'll take the slip from you over there on the way out"

Great investment.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by backdoc
The separate lane for GE was closed off and a huffy woman in a line of 75 or so said "the line is right here and you have to go to the end!" I said "I don't wait in your lines" and pushed the poles that were blocking the lane and walked right up to the officer with my slop and he pointed to the exit and said "welcome home, they'll take the slip from you over there on the way out"

Great investment.
Haha. Did you point your chin up a bit, too, to highlight your importance to all 75 people watching?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
:)

Of course! hehehe

The CBP guys were very friendly and helpful. The system is still a bit wacky at LAX, with the kiosks being roped-off, when asked about it an officer said "if the lane is open EVERYONE tries to use it, just push your way through".

To be honest I was a little nervous using GE for the 1st time.

The time savings is huge.

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Haha. Did you point your chin up a bit, too, to highlight your importance to all 75 people watching?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Of course! hehehe

The CBP guys were very friendly and helpful. The system is still a bit wacky at LAX, with the kiosks being roped-off, when asked about it an officer said "if the lane is open EVERYONE tries to use it, just push your way through".

To be honest I was a little nervous using GE for the 1st time.

The time savings is huge.
The machines are behind a gate/rope in a lot of places, I agree with the CBP guy and just open up a path to get to the machine. You're fine and it can be fun to see the expressions on others who are standing in line wondering why those are other people get to bypass.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 9:00 am

Eligibility question regarding Global Entry

Hello Everyone!

My situation is as follows: I was arrested 1993 for two misdemeanors and the case was dismissed, so the answer to the question on GOES application would be "NO". However, I have read conflicting info about an arrest (even if the case was dismissed) record being a possible disqualifying factor for entry into GE.

For instance, in the Federal Register, the government publication that publishes info about what the federal government does, in one issue (http://www.federalregister.gov/artic...y-program#h-26) it states: "An applicant may not qualify for participation if any of the following risk factors are applicable:

The applicant has been arrested for, or convicted of any criminal offense or has pending criminal charges or outstanding warrants."

But then in another issue of the Federal Register (http://www.federalregister.gov/artic...irt-registered) it states this: "No person, however, will be eligible for this pilot if he or she loses LPR status or is inadmissible to the United States under the immigration laws, if he or she has ever been convicted of a criminal offense, or if he or she has ever been found in violation of the customs or immigration laws of the United States, or of any criminal law."

On one of the threads in this forum that was from 2009, one member said that he was asked during the CPB interview wheather he has ever been arrested or not. So, my question is, does anyone have any information about the issue of an arrest record, were the case was dismissed, being a disqualifying factor when applying for Global Entry? On the www.globalentry.gov website it only talks about a criminal conviction being a disqualifying factor. Thank you for your replies in advance.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 2:48 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by FFatPBI
Hello Everyone!

My situation is as follows: I was arrested 1993 for two misdemeanors and the case was dismissed, so the answer to the question on GOES application would be "NO". However, I have read conflicting info about an arrest (even if the case was dismissed) record being a possible disqualifying factor for entry into GE.

For instance, in the Federal Register, the government publication that publishes info about what the federal government does, in one issue (http://www.federalregister.gov/artic...y-program#h-26) it states: "An applicant may not qualify for participation if any of the following risk factors are applicable:

The applicant has been arrested for, or convicted of any criminal offense or has pending criminal charges or outstanding warrants."

But then in another issue of the Federal Register (http://www.federalregister.gov/artic...irt-registered) it states this: "No person, however, will be eligible for this pilot if he or she loses LPR status or is inadmissible to the United States under the immigration laws, if he or she has ever been convicted of a criminal offense, or if he or she has ever been found in violation of the customs or immigration laws of the United States, or of any criminal law."

On one of the threads in this forum that was from 2009, one member said that he was asked during the CPB interview wheather he has ever been arrested or not. So, my question is, does anyone have any information about the issue of an arrest record, were the case was dismissed, being a disqualifying factor when applying for Global Entry? On the www.globalentry.gov website it only talks about a criminal conviction being a disqualifying factor. Thank you for your replies in advance.
You can read up-thread about GE members with DUI convictions on their records (stimpy comes to mind)...so the arrest itself may not be reason to exclude you from GE.

Just be totally honest and forthright about the arrests whenever asked (whether in an application or during the in-person interview...IF ever asked...during my interview the only question was have i ever been convicted of anything.). The worst thing you could do is lie then get caught...they'd exclude you for sure.

And, of course, let us know how it goes so we can add a data-point!
Old Mar 30, 2011, 3:43 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FFatPBI
Hello Everyone!

My situation is as follows: I was arrested 1993 for two misdemeanors and the case was dismissed, so the answer to the question on GOES application would be "NO".
So then what's the question? Can't you just fill out the application and submit it?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
So then what's the question? Can't you just fill out the application and submit it?
Well, the information that I have read about the eligibility standards is conflicting in this regard. If you read my original post, you'll see what I mean. I appriciate any info that another member can provide. Thank you.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
The system is still a bit wacky at LAX, with the kiosks being roped-off, when asked about it an officer said "if the lane is open EVERYONE tries to use it, just push your way through".
Which LAX terminal was this?

I used GE at LAX TBIT last month, and LAX T4 a few days ago. At both terminals there was a separate immigration lane for the kiosks, not closed off (unless I don' understand what you mean by "roped-off"). The customs exit at TBIT has one lane with a sign saying "Global Entry Exit" but others were in that lane as well. The customs exit at T4 was confusing. There seemed to be only one exit, with a serpentine roped line. In front was a sign saying "Global Entry Exit" and an arrow pointing to the right. I didn't know if the sign meant that GE people should walk to the right and join the serpentine exit line, or if there was another, not visible exit elsewhere. I didn't want to walk to the end and see, because if not the main exit line would be even longer. Is there any benefit to GE for customs exit at LAX T4?

Here's an illustration:

Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
LAX last monday, both GE machines not working, T4. I've been thru there 3 times in the past month or so. One time, both machines working, one time only one and this last time, none.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.