Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by kilarney
I used NEXUS/Global Entry at YUL for the first time earlier this week. In a nutshell, I was left somewhat disappointed.

The NEXUS lane through security was closed, so it was shoes off, belt off, laptop out, and liquids out.

After getting the ticket from the Global Entry kiosk, you seem to have to proceed to the exact same CBP officers that everyone else proceeds to. I was asked a few questions by that officer. Other than the fact that he didn't have to scan my passport, I could not see what was quicker about the process once I got to the CBP officer.

Using NEXUS, on the other hand, upon returning to Canada was MUCH more convenient.
The Nexus lane is usually open, so that was just bad luck; that has not happened to me in the last number of years. The speaking to the officer was a change in the last few months (not sure exactly when, but it coincided with the completion of the majority of the renovations to pre-clearance in Terminal 1 in Toronto, not sure about other airports). Previously, unless you had something to declare or were selected for a secondary inspection, you would simply proceed through to an exit officer who took the GE slip. I would assume that the DHS simply decided they'd like to have an officer speak with you at pre clearance (again, I can only speak to Toronto but this may be the same elsewhere) regardless. Perhaps in a few years time it will go back to the old way. Who knows
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by yannerd
We did my wife's Nexus renewal last night and it looks like this morning her Nexus information stopped reflecting her J-1 status. The CBP officer was surprised when she saw the J-1 and I94 in my wife's passport. I suspect that the renewal somehow reset her status in the Nexus system but when I try to add her I94 as a document of admissibility I have no options to change any documents since her renewal is pending review. Is her best bet to go to the Nexus office and make those changes again? Anyone else had this issue in the past?
I have not but I did read that anytime there is a visa status change you need to visit an enrollment centre to update your information. I am going from memory. It's probably one of those things you'd want to call to get clarified anyway, or see an agent at some point.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
What time were you at YUL?
Monday morning (18th) at about 10:30 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
I used NEXUS/Global Entry at YUL for the first time earlier this week. In a nutshell, I was left somewhat disappointed.

The NEXUS lane through security was closed, so it was shoes off, belt off, laptop out, and liquids out.

After getting the ticket from the Global Entry kiosk, you seem to have to proceed to the exact same CBP officers that everyone else proceeds to. I was asked a few questions by that officer. Other than the fact that he didn't have to scan my passport, I could not see what was quicker about the process once I got to the CBP officer.

Using NEXUS, on the other hand, upon returning to Canada was MUCH more convenient.
You must have traveled at an off peak time. Designated security check line for NEXUS/Global Entry members are closed when airport is not busy. YVR does the same, especially on weekends. Passed through YVR last Thursday afternoon, NEXUS/GE security check line was so long, line keeper allowed NEXUS/GE members cut to the front of regular line if s/he was willing to take his/her shoes off.

We had to wait at least 20 minutes for our friend who went through regular line.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:03 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Monday morning (18th) at about 10:30 AM.
Sorry to hear that. I travel on Wed/Thurs/Friday and been there at various times from 9 AM to 6PM. NEXUS security screening is always available even if other lanes are empty (off peak). CBP officers on the right end of the inspection area process several types of passengers from connections/GE/NEXUS to general passengers but they do seem to process GE/NEXUS first.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by stress
Thank you for sharing this detail. I will definitely check with them. I find one attorney who is dealing with these type of cases. Anyone knows that he has good standing ? http://ankenylawcorp.com/about/jason.html

Thanks
I'm not sure why you picked out that one lawyer, other than his INS/CBP experience. When choosing a lawyer, you really need to do your online research and reading first.

This guy works on the opposite side of the United States from Canada, went to a law school that you should probably read about , has only been licensed to practice law since 2016, and advertises himself as working in a lot of areas besides immigration.

Oh, and then there's this:

http://legalnewsline.com/stories/510...each-agreement
Washington Attorney General Rob McKenna says a Blaine, Wash.-based immigration advisor has agreed to change his business practices and pay legal costs in response to a civil suit.

Former federal immigration officer Jason Ankeny will pay $3,000 in state legal costs after he allegedly violated the state's Consumer Protection Act. In signing a consent decree, Ankeny did not admit or deny wrongdoing, the Bellingham Herald reports.

. . .

Ankeny has been ordered to dissolve his company and surrender his registration as an immigration assistant, the report says.

A civil penalty of $10,000 levied against Ankeny was suspended on condition that he comply with the conditions in the consent decree, the Bellingham Herald reports.

And read this also:

https://cases.justia.com/federal/dis...62886/37/0.pdf

It's his lawsuit against CBP and the Secretary of DHS for "sex-based discrimination and retaliation".

Last edited by Newbie2FT; Sep 21, 2017 at 5:40 pm
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: Alaska MP
Originally Posted by pewpew
IIRC, people have had their Nexus cards revoked for carrying items for other people.
This is why you never, ever, ever, ever carry anything across a border for anyone. Even a spouse.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
I left the Nexus office at YVR literally an hour ago. I had renewed my passport and updated it in GOES. I went in to make sure the Canadian side had received the new passport info as I am flying out tomorrow. The agent still had the old passport info on her system.

We talked about the debate over the need to update in person and she said there should be no debate whatsoever - you absolutely DO need to visit a Nexus office to update your docs in person (I've heard about faxing them in but we didn't talk about that). So there is no doubt whatsoever about this and let's put this debate to rest once and for all. This is not an agent telling me this because she didn't know or made up her own answer. This is fact. I updated the passport info over 2 months ago in GOES and she still had the old passport information in her system. She showed me.

Mr. Fink had renewed his driver license. Same number, same everything. Just the expiry date had changed. Same thing. The info on the Canadian system showed the expired license depsite me updating the expiry date in GOES three weeks ago.

So can we please stop the debate. The Canadian side cannot see any document updates you do in GOES and you must visit a Nexus office in person (again, no idea about the fax idea) to update your docs in the Canadian system. Period.
I called the general information number listed on the NEXUS home web page and updated my driver license expiry date over the phone. That was the only thing that changed. Of course, also updated GOES.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: EY
To be fair, the new TTP site launching on October 1 that will replace GOES might have the proper capability to transmit changes to CBSA properly, so I wouldn't say the debate is finished just quite yet.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by xobile
To be fair, the new TTP site launching on October 1 that will replace GOES might have the proper capability to transmit changes to CBSA properly, so I wouldn't say the debate is finished just quite yet.
The debate persists because CBSA's official word on the matter is to use GOES for passport updates and that in-person visits to a NEXUS office for this aren't necessary. Until CBSA either updates its official word, or CBP properly relays document updates to CBSA, the debate/confusion will remain.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Newbie2FT
I'm not sure why you picked out that one lawyer, other than his INS/CBP experience. When choosing a lawyer, you really need to do your online research and reading first.

This guy works on the opposite side of the United States from Canada, went to a law school that you should probably read about , has only been licensed to practice law since 2016, and advertises himself as working in a lot of areas besides immigration.

Oh, and then there's this:

http://legalnewsline.com/stories/510...each-agreement
Washington Attorney General Rob McKenna says a Blaine, Wash.-based immigration advisor has agreed to change his business practices and pay legal costs in response to a civil suit.

Former federal immigration officer Jason Ankeny will pay $3,000 in state legal costs after he allegedly violated the state's Consumer Protection Act. In signing a consent decree, Ankeny did not admit or deny wrongdoing, the Bellingham Herald reports.

. . .

Ankeny has been ordered to dissolve his company and surrender his registration as an immigration assistant, the report says.

A civil penalty of $10,000 levied against Ankeny was suspended on condition that he comply with the conditions in the consent decree, the Bellingham Herald reports.

And read this also:

https://cases.justia.com/federal/dis...62886/37/0.pdf

It's his lawsuit against CBP and the Secretary of DHS for "sex-based discrimination and retaliation".

Newbie2FT,
Really you rocked bro. Thank you for helping me out here. I was almost to share my information with this guy. I am really sick and tired in searching but I could not find any good lawyer who deals with NEXUS denial. If you know anyone please help me. Shall be very thankful to you. Once again thanks and have great time.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by stress
Newbie2FT,
Really you rocked bro. Thank you for helping me out here. I was almost to share my information with this guy. I am really sick and tired in searching but I could not find any good lawyer who deals with NEXUS denial. If you know anyone please help me. Shall be very thankful to you. Once again thanks and have great time.
You're welcome. It's very important when you're thinking about hiring a lawyer to thoroughly research him/her. If you have a name in mind, spend about 1-2 hours to keep googling the name with a variety of other words next to it, like lawyer, attorney, lawsuit, immigration, Nexus (or whatever the problem is), etc, and read everything that seems relevant.

Like you said earlier, your need for a lawyer isn't just about Nexus denial anymore. You need an attorney to figure out if you will be found inadmissible on future attempts to enter the United States (maybe through FOIA requests for your records), to fix that problem, and maybe to overcome the Nexus denial.

I don't have any experience with particular lawyers who work on Nexus denials, and I doubt most other people in this forum do either. I mentioned some lawyers' names in an earlier post.

You may want to email or call the BCCLA and ACLU lawyers in that list and ask if they can refer you to an immigration lawyer who deals with inadmissibility (and Nexus). (If you can't afford the lawyers you are referred to, and you have an annual income below about $40,000 USD, you could ask the BCCLA/ACLU lawyers to refer you out for pro bono (free) work.) Or you could contact the other, private practice lawyers on that list and see what they say.

Last edited by Newbie2FT; Sep 25, 2017 at 3:59 pm
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

Please note that FlyerTalk is not an attorney referral service.

Please contact your local bar association or a service such as the American Immigration Lawyers Association's Immigration Lawyer Search to find a qualified attorney.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Newbie2FT
You're welcome. It's very important when you're thinking about hiring a lawyer to thoroughly research him/her. If you have a name in mind, spend about 1-2 hours to keep googling the name with a variety of other words next to it, like lawyer, attorney, lawsuit, immigration, Nexus (or whatever the problem is), etc, and read everything that seems relevant.

Like you said earlier, your need for a lawyer isn't just about Nexus denial anymore. You need an attorney to figure out if you will be found inadmissible on future attempts to enter the United States (maybe through FOIA requests for your records), to fix that problem, and maybe to overcome the Nexus denial.

I don't have any experience with particular lawyers who work on Nexus denials, and I doubt most other people in this forum do either. I mentioned some lawyers' names in an earlier post.

You may want to email or call the BCCLA and ACLU lawyers in that list and ask if they can refer you to an immigration lawyer who deals with inadmissibility (and Nexus). (If you can't afford the lawyers you are referred to, and you have an annual income below about $40,000 USD, you could ask the BCCLA/ACLU lawyers to refer you out for pro bono (free) work.) Or you could contact the other, private practice lawyers on that list and see what they say.

Thank you for helping out. Pro Bono is applicable to Canadian too ? For sure, I will try to contact all of that lawyers from your previous list. Just have a generic question.

If some has previously visit visas (multiple times) to US has been denied by US embassies could cause NEXUS denial also ?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:26 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Warning!

Originally Posted by TWA884
Folks,

Please note that FlyerTalk is not an attorney referral service.

Please contact your local bar association or a service such as the American Immigration Lawyers Association's Immigration Lawyer Search to find a qualified attorney.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
In case that I was not a clear as I should have been, do NOT discuss lawyers referrals!

Future posts discussing attorney recommendations will be summarily deleted without further warnings. Repeat offenders risk having their posting privileges suspended for a minimum of one week!

TWA884

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.