Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Applying for NEXUS after having Global Entry (i.e., Replacing GE with NEXUS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
How do I add NEXUS to my existing Global Entry membership?
  • On the TTP home page, select "Manage My Membership"
  • Then click on the "Add Trusted Traveler Program." Make any changes necessary
  • On the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler Program List page, select the checkbox next to the NEXUS option
  • On the next page you will see the NEXUS logo. You will need to provide additional information and answer questions; (some of these questions are very similar)
  • Once all the application information is entered/ corrected, certify your application and pay the fee
  • Applicants seeking to use NEXUS to enter Canada must complete an enrollment interview with the Canada Border Services Agency (some with GE received NEXUS card without interview)
  • An iris scan is needed; contact lenses must be removed to do the initial scan. Scan does not have to be done at the same time as the interview
Print Wikipost

Applying for NEXUS after having Global Entry (i.e., Replacing GE with NEXUS)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

Originally Posted by mnbp
You don't "add Nexus to GE", you are applying for Nexus, which if/when you are approved, REPLACES/SUPERSEDES your GE membership. Once approved for Nexus, your GE card is automatically invalid and your Nexus card provides everything GE provided plus everything Nexus provides. Your KTN stays the same of course.

You probably already know this, but it is a frequent point of confusion because people often think that since Nexus is $50 it must be somehow a subset of GE which costs $100. Nexus ($50) includes everything GE ($100) provides plus Canada privileges. Less is more, but you can't have both.
I've edited the thread title to accurately reflect that.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:34 pm

Apply for NEXUS online if I already have GOES

Hello,

Does anyone know how I can apply for NEXUS online if I already have Global Entry? I don't see a link to apply for NEXUS anywhere.

My Global Entry application is conditionally approved but still waiting for interview.

Do I need to wait for my Global Entry application to be finalized first?

Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by wildcard442
Hello,

Does anyone know how I can apply for NEXUS online if I already have Global Entry? I don't see a link to apply for NEXUS anywhere.

My Global Entry application is conditionally approved but still waiting for interview.

Thanks!
Per https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...aveler-program
"If you applied for Global Entry and want NEXUS, you would need to cancel your GE application and apply for NEXUS. Please note that once an application has been submitted, there are no refunds."
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Hello,

Thanks!
Are you renewing your Global Entry or it is your first time? Most of us have Global Entry final approval already then add/apply NEXUS.

<deleted>

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 21, 2017 at 9:36 am Reason: Remove circular link after posts were moved
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Are you renewing your Global Entry or it is your first time? Most of us have Global Entry final approval already then add/apply NEXUS.

<deleted>
I want to apply for original NEXUS. My original first time GE is conditionally approved awaiting interview.

I don't see any option to apply for NEXUS on GOES webpage. Where is the button to click to apply for NEXUS on GOES page? Is it gone until I am fully approved for GE?

Originally Posted by notCalifornia
Per https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...aveler-program
"If you applied for Global Entry and want NEXUS, you would need to cancel your GE application and apply for NEXUS. Please note that once an application has been submitted, there are no refunds."
That is if you applied for the wrong one. I intended to apply for GE. I just want to add NEXUS now, but I don't see the button to apply for NEXUS on GOES page.

I do see the apply for FAST button. But that's it.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 21, 2017 at 9:37 am Reason: Remove circular link after posts were moved
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:38 am

I want to apply for original NEXUS. My original first time GE is conditionally approved awaiting interview.

I don't see any option to apply for NEXUS on GOES webpage. Where is the button to click to apply for NEXUS on GOES page? Is it gone until I am fully approved for GE?

That is if you applied for the wrong one. I intended to apply for GE. I just want to add NEXUS now, but I don't see the button to apply for NEXUS on GOES page.

I do see the apply for FAST button. But that's it.
No personal experience in your question. My partner has Global Entry, tried unsuccessfully to add NEXUS because he could not find NEXUS anywhere on the renewal webpage. Below steps were followed. You can apply for NEXUS through GOES website: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...mande-eng.html

Not sure if you are aware Global Entry privilege is included in NEXUS. GE and NEXUS are two different programs. You need to pay $50 NEXUS application fee in addition to Global Entry. Once you receive and activate your NEXUS card, your Global Entry card is voided.

Good luck and please come back and let us know your result.

How do I add NEXUS to my existing Global Entry membership?
  • Login to GOES.
  • On the GOES home page under Program Membership(s), click on "Manage Membership."
  • Then click on the "Add Trusted Traveler Program." Make any changes necessary.
  • On the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler Program List page, select the checkbox next to the NEXUS option.
  • On the next page you will see the NEXUS logo. You will need to provide additional information and answer questions; (some of these questions are very similar).
  • Once all the application information is entered/ corrected, certify your application and pay the fee.
  • Applicants seeking to use NEXUS to enter Canada must complete an enrollment interview with the Canada Border Services Agency.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:52 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would appear that it is not possible to apply for NEXUS while having a pending application for Global Entry.

You have two options, either go through with your Global Entry enrollment interview and after you receive final - not conditional - approval, apply for NEXUS, or cancel your Global Entry application and then apply for NEXUS.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Update on Nexus Approval Process

Previous Status: Was an approved, active Global Entry member

Applied for Nexus: July-21-2017
Approved for Nexus: August-13-2017
Iris Scan Completed at YUL: August-29-2017

I walked into the Nexus office at YUL without an appointment, and explained to them that I simply needed an iris scan. They instructed me to take a number and have a seat.

I waited for about 10 minutes before I was called on. I sat down with an agent at their computer and handed them my Nexus card. The agent asked me what office I interviewed with, and I told him that I did not complete an interview. He was surprised, however I told him that my "research" (via FlyerTalk) indicated that persons with prior Global Entry approval did not need to interview for Nexus. He confirmed that was true, I completed my iris scan and was on my way.

FWIW - I walked into the office at 2:00 PM on a Tuesday, and was out within 20 minutes.

Cheers!
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Our family of 3, has GE. We applied for nexus and upon conditional approval have scheduled interview for sometime (consecutive slots) in Nov in Seattle.
We just had a new baby, and I realized I can apply for nexus for him without a passport (using his birth cert). Was hoping,

1. I can get/update in GOES his passport once I get it.
2. I can take him with us as a walk-in on the day of our appointment, if the conditional approval occurs by that time.

Are these possible/doable?
TIA
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum/2m miler, Marriott A and LTT, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, Avis Presidents. +more
Originally Posted by Follow Your Bliss
I can't believe how long this process is taking. They still haven't made a decision. I called a couple of days ago to check on my application and they said to give it another month.
I applied a few weeks ago. This is a renewal and it's still pending review.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum/2m miler, Marriott A and LTT, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, Avis Presidents. +more
Originally Posted by BMGRAHAM
Actually technically this isn't a renewal since my previous application was Global Entry and it appears to have been treated as a new application but thanks anyway for moving my post to this thread.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:56 pm

Often times it is caused by someone forgetting to click "approve". Calling your processing office is the solution.
I sent an e-mail today, although that can take two weeks. I'm going to call as you suggested. Which number did you call, by the way?

This reminds me of when we were living overseas temporarily and trying to get our new daughter's SSN before we moved back to the USA. I called the special office in Baltimore for overseas applications after hearing nothing for weeks. The person who opened grabbed a box, I heard some rustling, then he said he had found our application and he processed it right away, we got the card a few days later.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:25 pm

Exclamation Moderator's Action

Actually technically this isn't a renewal since my previous application was Global Entry and it appears to have been treated as a new application but thanks anyway for moving my post to this thread.
Applications to replace existing Global Entry memberships with NEXUS are handled differently than applying for NEXUS for the first time or renewing it. All aspects of this process - including timelines - are discussed in this thread where I have now moved your posts.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:21 pm

I sent an e-mail today, although that can take two weeks. I'm going to call as you suggested. Which number did you call, by the way?

This reminds me of when we were living overseas temporarily and trying to get our new daughter's SSN before we moved back to the USA. I called the special office in Baltimore for overseas applications after hearing nothing for weeks. The person who opened grabbed a box, I heard some rustling, then he said he had found our application and he processed it right away, we got the card a few days later.
Where were you interviewed at? http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/location-eng.html
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:53 pm

To the best of my understanding, @BMGRAHAM's application is still pending conditional approval.
Actually technically this isn't a renewal since my previous application was Global Entry and it appears to have been treated as a new application...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.