Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by seawolf
Interesting read on NEXUS application process.

According to this document, you should be carrying your citizenship document along with NEXUS card as membership card is merely a "trigger for accessing the relevant program’s database" and "is not an official travel document."
Please note that the above document was issued on 6-17-2005 and the WHTI was effective 6-1-2009, so the document was probably accurate until then.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by greglvnv
Please note that the above document was issued on 6-17-2005 and the WHTI was effective 6-1-2009, so the document was probably accurate until then.
Good point. Might be out of date.

However, be aware that the ENF29 document is linked from CIC Operational bulletins and manuals
webpage last modified DEC 30 2016. It may/may not be stale.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
How to Update Your US Passport with Canada for Nexus

Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in GOES does not reach Canada.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu....html#info-reg
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:46 pm
Original Member

Thanks for the tip.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by dgreen12

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in GOES does not reach Canada.

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu....html#info-reg

Thanks for posting that. Just got NEXUS last year and renewed US Passport in Dec. Updated GOES right away but didn't know this had to be done too. Very easy to tko.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
Thanks for posting that. Just got NEXUS last year and renewed US Passport in Dec. Updated GOES right away but didn't know this had to be done too. Very easy to tko.
It's not supposed to be required; CBSA is supposed to be getting updates made in GOES. But for some reason they aren't. Here's to hoping the bug gets fixed soon.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kiraly
It's not supposed to be required; CBSA is supposed to be getting updates made in GOES. But for some reason they aren't. Here's to hoping the bug gets fixed soon.
Do you have specific official statements that GOES updates are supposed to go to the Canadian side? Or that this is a 'bug.'

My opinion: It's not, possibly due to privacy regs. Canadian officials in person have always, always told me I needed to update in person and that they don't get GOES updates. No hint that 'yeah, we're supposed to get it, but it doesn't work.' The only info. that Canadians seem to get from GOES is the application itself. Given that process seems to work fine, I believe its intentional that GOES updates don't go to Canada.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Do you have specific official statements that GOES updates are supposed to go to the Canadian side? Or that this is a 'bug.'

My opinion: It's not, possibly due to privacy regs. Canadian officials in person have always, always told me I needed to update in person and that they don't get GOES updates. No hint that 'yeah, we're supposed to get it, but it doesn't work.' The only info. that Canadians seem to get from GOES is the application itself. Given that process seems to work fine, I believe its intentional that GOES updates don't go to Canada.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...nnees-eng.html

NEXUS members can access the Global Online Enrollment System (GOES) to update address changes and passport information that is already on file. Even if you did not apply using GOES, you can still confirm or update your information by creating a GOES account, which enables you to view and modify your file.

Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:32 pm

In reality, that's not the case. Wife renewed passport, updated on goes, dropped by YVR, agents confirmed they still see the old passport details, and took a copy of the new one.

will check in again in ten years and see if they've improved things
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by crimsona
In reality, that's not the case. Wife renewed passport, updated on goes, dropped by YVR, agents confirmed they still see the old passport details, and took a copy of the new one.

will check in again in ten years and see if they've improved things
Ten years is a very long time. I am sure it will be rectified by then.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:56 pm

It was a little tongue in cheek (only because my kid's passport will need to be updated in 4 years)

With the long validity of passports now, it's literally a once a decade update for adults to save all the arguments back and forth
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:52 pm
Original Member

I don't see how privacy regulations apply to prevent updates from GOES but not on the initial application from GOES. Is it an intentional functional gap, maybe given it's been reported as an issue for quite some time don't really see privacy regulation as cause.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
I don't see how privacy regulations apply to prevent updates from GOES but not on the initial application from GOES. Is it an intentional functional gap, maybe given it's been reported as an issue for quite some time don't really see privacy regulation as cause.
Privacy is just a guess. I have no idea if this is the case or not.

I have to do a renewal soon, so maybe I'll try and read the fine print, but my guess is as an application to a trusted traveler program managed by both the US and Canada, when signing the application, you are specifically giving permission for the information on the application to be shared with CBSA and CBP.

GOES itself is managed only by the US CBP/DHS. It is quite possible that CBP/DHS is not permitted to share additional info. entered into this computer system, which is what new passport info. would be. Again, I don't have knowledge of this specifically, but wouldn't surprise me at all if this was the cae.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: A few, *G,
It is an international gap. GOES is the US CBP portal. As a US portal it serves the American people on a few levels, and a single one for Canadians. Nexus is a bi-national program, which is why there is a CBP & a CBSA agent involved in each interview, with one of those officers working in a foreign country.
The functioning of Nexus defaults to the GE system at a CBP POE (imo, they added GE for non-nationals to use one system for process) for Americans when they enter the USA, GE is not shared with Canada, hence GE is a nothing burger going north.international gap.

The above makes perfect sense when you remember that there are 2 sovereign countries sharing a program. I suppose if Canada were to establish its own web based application process, instead of the paper application, then maybe the 2 systems could talk (highly doubtful, imo)

Maybe there were high hopes of actually integrating the 2 sovereign process, and the wording was left as a marker on the web page. But as I was told, and many in this thread have posted their actual experience, GE either refuses to push the info or is unable to send it. So a quick unannounced visit to update docs and you're good for another 5 yrs.

I get that many Americans chose Nexus over GE cuz its cheaper than GE. It may be a challenge for some to actually visit an office, but the program was not designed to save someone money. It is to expedite travel between the US & Canada, which is where the Nexus offices are located.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:14 am

Yes, all of the published rules and guidelines from CBSA on this matter say that passport updates should me made in GOES, and that in-person visits to the CBSA office for this purpose are not required. So obviously it's supposed to be working.

My opinion: It's not, possibly due to privacy regs.
What privacy regs? There aren't any in this case. We apply in GOES, and CBSA gets all of that information. CBSA's official word is that we're supposed to use GOES for passport updates too, but front line officers tell us that that doesn't work. The only explanation that makes sense to me is that US CBP's IT department has failed to flip some digital switch that pushes passport updates through to CBSA. Until it's fixed (or until CBSA gives up on CBP fixing it and changes the official guidelines) there's going to be a discrepancy between what CBSA says we should be doing and what we actually have to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.