Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Always go to the enrollment center for passports.

While some documentation specifies GOES-only is ok
Actually, ALL of the documentation from CBSA says to update passport information in GOES, and that in-person visits to an enrollment centre for this purpose are not required.

But there are so many reports here in Flyertalk about front line CBSA officers saying the opposite, that it's hard to know if all of CBSA's published documentation is wrong, or if CBSA officers are simply poorly trained.

I'm inclined to believe it's an IT issue, in which updates made in GOES are supposed to be forward to CBSA (just like our original applications are), but the updates aren't being pushed through (hence CBSA officers not seeing them when you've updated them, and telling you to do it in person).
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: AC SEMM
I have had a Nexus card for about 7 years now and the terminals at YYZ have always recognised my Iris without problem until the other week where two terminals failed to do so. At the time it was no problem to go to the CBSA chap at the desk and he sped me through. However I am concerned that this may happen again especially on entering the USA where the reception might not be so friendly (I am Canadian not US citizen). About 3 months ago I had stopped wearing contact lenses after having regularly worn them for about 30 years. I wonder if this could have caused my eyes to have changed and thus have resulted in this recognition failure.

Has anyone else experienced this or something similar?

Has anyone gone to have their Irises rescanned because of some change in their eyes? If so what was that experience like?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Geoflying
I have had a Nexus card for about 7 years now and the terminals at YYZ have always recognised my Iris without problem until the other week where two terminals failed to do so. At the time it was no problem to go to the CBSA chap at the desk and he sped me through. However I am concerned that this may happen again especially on entering the USA where the reception might not be so friendly (I am Canadian not US citizen). About 3 months ago I had stopped wearing contact lenses after having regularly worn them for about 30 years. I wonder if this could have caused my eyes to have changed and thus have resulted in this recognition failure.

Has anyone gone to have their Irises rescanned because of some change in their eyes? If so what was that experience like?
Iris scans are for Canadian entry only (NEXUS). U.S. entry (GE) uses fingerprints.

It is easy to forget the difference since many of us acquired both through the same application.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:38 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Always go to the enrollment center for passports.

While some documentation specifies GOES-only is ok - it's a US system and won't update the Canadians. I've asked this question about a dozen times over the years - US has always reponded GOES is enough, Canadian officers have always stayed you need to do it in person. There's been a lot of arguments about it on this board. But given its quick to take it into the office and ensures you're covered, much Better to just do that, IMO

While IME, Nexus offices are hard to get on the phone (especially YYZ), GE are pretty good, IME. There are a lot more of them, too - so if one doesn't pick up, likely another one will.
Originally Posted by Kiraly
Actually, ALL of the documentation from CBSA says to update passport information in GOES, and that in-person visits to an enrollment centre for this purpose are not required.

But there are so many reports here in Flyertalk about front line CBSA officers saying the opposite, that it's hard to know if all of CBSA's published documentation is wrong, or if CBSA officers are simply poorly trained.

I'm inclined to believe it's an IT issue, in which updates made in GOES are supposed to be forward to CBSA (just like our original applications are), but the updates aren't being pushed through (hence CBSA officers not seeing them when you've updated them, and telling you to do it in person).
Highly doubt it is an IT issue. CBSA site has been directing updates to "passport information that is already on file" for several years.

Perhaps the confusion is the distinction between passport update in GOES vs. "Changes to citizenship documents" at Enrollment Centre.

It's important to distinguish what CBSA officer mean when they want you to update in person. Updating passport information due to new passport#/expiry date due to passport expiration is quite different than updating passport due to change of citizenship (eg naturalization).
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Forgive me for not reading this entire thread. I looked for an answer on Nexus website and couldn't find it in the FAQ.

I just took in my passport for renewal yesterday and I was told a new one would be delivered to me by Nov 4 at the latest (two weeks). My next international trip isn't until Nov 10 so I figured that was fine.

I am going to US (MSY) however on Nov 3rd. I thought if I didn't have my passport back, I could just use my Nexus card for entry into US. A friend suggested that my passport will probably be cancelled in the next few days and that will be communicated to Nexus, so my card won't be valid anymore. Is this correct?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Geoflying

As flyquiet explained, CBP use fingerprints. Additionally: even if fingerprints fail, you just have to get your identity manually verified: the kiosks spits out a receipt with an X and a "Report to Passport Control": you simply find the nearest CBP booth, and they'll process you manually using your passport (they then stamp the receipt, everything else is back to normal after that point).

Additionally: the kiosk identifies you based on your passport, so the fingerprints are only an additional verifiction of your identity, but the machine won't reject you (unless your passport isn't in the system, in which case you won't even get past the first stage).
Old Oct 22, 2016, 4:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

A recent question about the ease of getting to the YYZ NEXUS interview location from the airport terminal was moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Oct 22, 2016, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Forgive me for not reading this entire thread. I looked for an answer on Nexus website and couldn't find it in the FAQ.

I just took in my passport for renewal yesterday and I was told a new one would be delivered to me by Nov 4 at the latest (two weeks). My next international trip isn't until Nov 10 so I figured that was fine.

I am going to US (MSY) however on Nov 3rd. I thought if I didn't have my passport back, I could just use my Nexus card for entry into US. A friend suggested that my passport will probably be cancelled in the next few days and that will be communicated to Nexus, so my card won't be valid anymore. Is this correct?
I don't think so. According to the privacy policy statement on the passport renewal form, Passport Canada does not disclose this type of information to foreign governments.

As long as you are flying out from a Canadian airport with US preclearance, you should be fine with the border authorities in both directions. The airline may give you a hard time, though, for flying without a passport.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I don't think so. According to the privacy policy statement on the passport renewal form, Passport Canada does not disclose this type of information to foreign governments.

As long as you are flying out from a Canadian airport with US preclearance, you should be fine with the border authorities in both directions. The airline may give you a hard time, though, for flying without a passport.
I'm not so sure about your first point, though I don't know for sure.

Your Nexus card is connected to the documentation you have on file with your application. Once Canada cancels the passport, it is quite possible it will update the Nexus file with this info, and when it goes to verify, it will no longer be connected. Who knows what it does on the backend, but I wouldn't want to take this risk.

If the machine doesn't recognize it because the passport is not valid any longer, it's not a huge step to for any or all of the following: get an X, pulled into secondary, asked for passport, and if you can't produce and not al US citizen, get denied entry to the US, lose Nexus altogether, and again, if not a US citizen, be subject to a ban by the US from entering for a certain period of time.

Yes, all of that may be a strech, but also not out of the realm of possibility. Me, there's no way I would risk that. Traveling without your passport by air to the US, even with Nexus, is a bad idea. My advice is to make sure you have the new passport in hand before you leave for MSY...even if it means you have to delay the trip.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:45 pm
Original Member

I agree with emcampbe. There is a risk of losing NEXUS as traveller would be reasonably expected to know underlying passport is no longer valid. While CBP may or may not be aware passport is canceled, surely CBSA will know when traveller returns to Canada that passport is cancelled.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 11:07 pm

I have some questions about how to get global entry after NEXUS.

1. Is it automatic or I have to apply? I read from CBP website that I can only use my NEXUS card when I enter US from Canada. But do I need a separate global entry card to enter US from other countries? If I have to apply separately, what's the process and how long do I have to wait to receive it?

Another question is: I'm a Canadian working in the US using TN. Am I eligible for global entry before I get my green card?

Thanks a lot!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
I agree with emcampbe. There is a risk of losing NEXUS as traveller would be reasonably expected to know underlying passport is no longer valid. While CBP may or may not be aware passport is canceled, surely CBSA will know when traveller returns to Canada that passport is cancelled.
Interesting thought because you could technically apply for Nexus without a passport (unlike GE, you could apply with ID+BC). But if you do use a passport to apply does it have to remain valid?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:13 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by a1bunny

1. Is it automatic or I have to apply? I read from CBP website that I can only use my NEXUS card when I enter US from Canada. But do I need a separate global entry card to enter US from other countries? If I have to apply separately, what's the process and how long do I have to wait to receive it?

Another question is: I'm a Canadian working in the US using TN. Am I eligible for global entry before I get my green card?

Thanks a lot!
GE is automatic, and relies only on your passport. The Nexus card is useful to gain access to the expedited security lanes in Canada (but I guess you already know that), but the GE machines only accept a passport (or green card if you are an LPR).

You are eligible to use GE on most visas, and I've seen quite a few reports of TN users here (they're probably one of the largest groups of Canadian Visa users after all).

(The list of non-eligible visas can be found on: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...sked-questions )

Final note: you can use your KTN to get PreCheck when flying from the US - you'll need to enter that as part of any flight booking you make (and you'll need to add it to existing bookings). You won't be able to use your Nexus card to access PreCheck, it has to be given as part of the checkin process (i.e. be on your BP).

Originally Posted by iamflyer
Interesting thought because you could technically apply for Nexus without a passport (unlike GE, you could apply with ID+BC). But if you do use a passport to apply does it have to remain valid?
If only there were a whole thread on that:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...-passport.html

Not sure there's an actual consensus about what's really permitted in that thread though, but I guess you could always go to a Nexus office and add alternative proof of citizenship documents in place of the passport before travel.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:51 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by iamflyer
Good point. Assumption is your underlying citizenship document should be valid. Or it is possible what margarita girl is proposing could be in compliance with NEXUS conditions. No published guidance or data point so due to this unknown, I'm calling this a risk.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:28 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by a1bunny

Department of Homeland Security:
NEXUS and SENTRI Members May Utilize the Global Entry Kiosks

All NEXUS members can enjoy the benefits of Global Entry at no additional cost through using the automated kiosks for entry at participating airports. NEXUS members will need to check their status in their Global Online Enrollment System account, as they may need to submit their 10-fingerprints or any other necessary documentation in order to receive Global Entry benefits.

<snip>
Benefits of NEXUS

Membership in the NEXUS program allows you to reduce your wait times at designated ports of entry by:

<snip>

• using Global Entry kiosk when entering the United States

<snip>
And:
Trusted Traveler Programs Comparison Chart

NEXUS

<snip>

Expedited processing at airports and land borders when entering the U.S. and Canada.
Includes Global Entry benefits.

<snip>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.