Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Reid
I've always recalled reading that passport updates needed to be done at the office for the Canadian side, but I just noticed the following link:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...nnees-eng.html

Can anyone confirm that this is correct and that a visit is no longer required.
That's what CBSA's official rules have always said—that in-person visits to a NEXUS office are not required for passport updates and that updating through GOES is enough. This is nothing new. You'll find the same information in the Nexus program User's Guide.

The confusion comes from CBSA agents telling NEXUS members entirely different information from what the official program rules say. Is it a lack of training and the front-line agents don't know what they are talking about? Is there some sort of computer glitch and GOES updates aren't getting to CBSA like they should be? Or are the NEXUS official published rules simply wrong? Nobody knows. This is a problem that has gone on for years now.

Last edited by Kiraly; May 22, 2016 at 3:10 pm
Old May 26, 2016, 5:54 pm

The center in Sweetgrass, MT, is closest to me. However, there are comments in this forum about the iris scan. What, exactly, is the MT center missing? I want to apply for NEXUS primarily to get Global Entry and TSA Precheck. Can I get those if I go to the MT center?
Old May 27, 2016, 1:36 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by agpt
The center in Sweetgrass, MT, is closest to me. However, there are comments in this forum about the iris scan. What, exactly, is the MT center missing? I want to apply for NEXUS primarily to get Global Entry and TSA Precheck. Can I get those if I go to the MT center?
Yes.

The longer answer: the iris scan is only required to enter Canada by air using NEXUS. Entering the US by air using NEXUS/Global Entry is done by checking fingerprints, not iris scans, even at the preclearance airports. (Entering the US or Canada by land uses the card but no biometrics apart from the officer looking at you to see if you resemble your picture.) TSA Precheck doesn't need the card or the biometrics, just that your PASS ID is in the Known Traveler Number field on your reservation and matches your Secure Flight info.

Note that if you do want to fly into Canada and use NEXUS, you can get the iris scan done later as a drop-in at any of the NEXUS offices in Canada without an appointment.
Old May 27, 2016, 8:02 am

Thanks for the detailed response. Now the next thing is figuring out whether to take the "short" route (300 miles drive) or the "scenic" route (500 miles through Glacier).
Old May 27, 2016, 5:30 pm

A couple of points relevant to these latest revelations:

I've always recalled reading that passport updates needed to be done at the office for the Canadian side, but I just noticed the following link:

A CBSA clerk confirmed for me this week that you DO need to update documents in person (walk in) at a Canadian-side enrollment center. He said update it in GOES first, but that GOES is a US CBP system and is only used for CBP's purposes. Updating in GOES will let you continue using GE, TSA Pre, etc.... you'd only need the Canadian side to have the latest documents for entering Canada. He also noted that if you're at a Canadian airport with an enrollment center for the purpose of updating your docs, and you try to use a NEXUS machine to enter Canada-- it may throw a red flag, but if you explain to the CBSA agent that you're entering for the purpose of updating your documents immediately they'll "probably" (read: maybe) let you through.

-------

Separately, the same CBSA clerk confirmed that an interview is NOT required to issue a replacement lost/stolen/damaged card. I was dealing with it this week for a friend who lost hers, and sure enough she was approved ~1 hour after reporting it lost in GOES. (Presumably that means the card will arrive in about 10 days.) That is in contrast with the official documentation online, but in agreement with lots of the recent posts here.

I hope this and the new laxer renewal / GE-->NEXUS rules are here to stay! For now, just one more data point...
Old May 27, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I got a new passport, updated in GOES, went to Europe and back, used the NEXUS to re-enter Canada, got the card and off I went. Down to bag claim, nipped into the washroom while the bags were coming in, came out of the washroom, and found a CBSA guy asking for my passport. Never thought anything more of it, but now I wonder if it was related to that. Being deaf, I might have been walking away from him hollering at my back all the way down the escalator, too. I guess I'm lucky he didn't Tase me.
Old May 29, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

I will deny.

I know what the website says and I know what many in here will say. I also know what every CBSA agent has told me when I ask them, including a couple of months ago when I went to update. Basically what was said above: Update in person, as GOES only updates the US.

So what I always do: update GOES right away, and next time I'm at the airport, update at the office.

Truth be told, 10 minutes at an office to update is well worth it as opposed to the potential to have to argue with an officer about why my membership is out of compliance. Anytime that argument starts, it's already lost.
Old May 29, 2016, 9:13 pm

Datapoint:

Updated in GOES, travelled to Europe and did not have enough time to stop at NEXUS office prior to that trip. Re-entered Canada using NEXUS (but see post 9757). Next transit transborder, stopped in YYZ NEXUS office to ensure all in order.

Sign in. Wait. Long wait, considering. Maybe 20 minutes. Seemed to be about three teams of agents, serving two parties of applicants. Although that leaves some free agents, by my estimation, nobody comes to check the sign-in sheet. Several other people waiting. Eventually, the CBSA gets me, does the thing. Hands off to the CBP to check - he's busy doing an email. Okay, so the CBSA takes me to a different CBP who is just sitting there talking with his CBSA. CBP checks my record. Neither makes any indication that I did not need to do this. Very much the impression that they completely expect this visit, and BOTH agencies want to check.

Proceed to the new YYZ TB crossing. Still badly in need of signs and arrows. Used the machine and forced the X by saying "other", in order to get my visa transcribed into the new passport. Yellow vest lady sends several non-NEXUS people to an agent before dispatching me. Must have waited there 5 minutes, at the front of the line.

Agent specifically asked me "did you update your passport at the NEXUS office?" and of course I said I just did. I would think agents would be able to see that but whatever.

Aside from what seemed to be unjustified delays, I think it's well worth the peace of mind, particularly since I didn't get an eyeroll or a "pshaw" from any of the agents at any position in the process. They weren't just humouring me. It seemed expected to do what I was doing.
Old May 29, 2016, 10:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I will deny.

I know what the website says and I know what many in here will say. I also know what every CBSA agent has told me when I ask them, including a couple of months ago when I went to update. Basically what was said above: Update in person, as GOES only updates the US.

So what I always do: update GOES right away, and next time I'm at the airport, update at the office.

Truth be told, 10 minutes at an office to update is well worth it as opposed to the potential to have to argue with an officer about why my membership is out of compliance. Anytime that argument starts, it's already lost.
Age old questions still unanswered by those professing the need to update in person.

1.) For someone based in US who updates in GOES, how will they be aware of the requirement to update in person in Canada given the most up-to-date official resource (CBSA website) states no update required in person?
2.) If update is required, is US based NEXUS member suppose to use regular lane or NEXUS kiosk during next entry to Canada? How are majority of US-based NEXUS members suppose to know that?
2a.) If NEXUS kiosk is used but neither the kiosk or the agent collecting the NEXUS receipt informs member the need to update passport in person, how is member suppose to know update in person is required (refer to my question 1.)? Most resonable conclusion member will arrive at is they followed CBSA website instructions to the letter and no further action required.
Old May 29, 2016, 11:33 pm

While those comments are valid, it could equally be a critique of the website being out of step, rather than the practices out of step. A member could attempt to rely on the website in their defence, but some of us prefer not to be in that position.
"How would someone know?" is a valid question. However, the opposite argument can also be made. I have crystal clear recollection being told to update in person. Why would it occur to me to check the website for contrary instructions?
We can go around the mulberry bush ad infinitum, but it appears clear that the website may be at odds with instructions at least some of us were given and which are reinforced by comments by at least some of the officials, and at least some of us find it unacceptably risky to ignore a simple process in case the "must update" interpretation is enforced (properly or improperly). However, I read those posts as disclosure of personal decisions, and not insistence on the practices of others. Other readers are responsible to make their own decisions.
Old May 30, 2016, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by flyquiet
While those comments are valid, it could equally be a critique of the website being out of step, rather than the practices out of step.
It's not just the website that would be out of step. It would be all of the official documentation. Here's the official member's guide, updated in 2014, which on page 12 clearly says that passport updates can be done in GOES and visits to the office are not required. The hard copy of the same documents I received at my interview in 2012 says the exact same thing.
Old May 30, 2016, 8:08 am

Well, again, if it hits the fan, you're arguing with a person, not a paper. If a person told me X, and another person or people reiterated X, and those people are from the same population as the population that would be holding the fan when I hit it, I am not going to be prioritizing the paper. Like most people that buy consumer products, I would most likely only even open the manual if it stops working
Old May 30, 2016, 6:08 pm

CBSA and CBP both reinforced the requirement for an in-person visit to update the passport at the Seattle center ten days ago.
Old May 30, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by seawolf
Age old questions still unanswered by those professing the need to update in person.

1.) For someone based in US who updates in GOES, how will they be aware of the requirement to update in person in Canada given the most up-to-date official resource (CBSA website) states no update required in person?
2.) If update is required, is US based NEXUS member suppose to use regular lane or NEXUS kiosk during next entry to Canada? How are majority of US-based NEXUS members suppose to know that?
2a.) If NEXUS kiosk is used but neither the kiosk or the agent collecting the NEXUS receipt informs member the need to update passport in person, how is member suppose to know update in person is required (refer to my question 1.)? Most resonable conclusion member will arrive at is they followed CBSA website instructions to the letter and no further action required.
1) Many of us were told by CBSA during our interviews. Yes, CBSA statements and CBSA web site conflict

2) Unknown

Reasonable people will conclude that they can trust official information on official government web sites. And most of the time, they can.

But this is not an argument I want to have with an officer who can decide to yank my NEXUS membership at any time, with no appeals process, based on the OFFICER's perception that I've somehow broken the rules.

As someone else pointed out earlier, once that argument starts, it's already lost. I won't presume to tell anyone else what to do, but for my money, a quick visit to the nearest NEXUS office to update the passport in person is worth it to avoid the risk of that argument occurring.

Last edited by txviking; May 30, 2016 at 7:17 pm Reason: Fixed a slight ambiguity.
Old May 30, 2016, 8:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Well, again, if it hits the fan, you're arguing with a person, not a paper. If a person told me X, and another person or people reiterated X, and those people are from the same population as the population that would be holding the fan when I hit it, I am not going to be prioritizing the paper. Like most people that buy consumer products, I would most likely only even open the manual if it stops working
Just because the words come out of the government official's mouth does not make it correct.

Go to the Global Entry food thread, several reports of CBP agent telling GE members NOT to declare certain food (cookies chocolates etc) when documentation states and kiosk question all state food must be declared. Following the person's advice against published documentation would increase risk of losing GE.

US/Canada ABTC thread. Various Asian country immigration officers mistakenly turning away US/Canadian-issued ABTC because the back of the card has no country endorsements.

There is a reason FT mantra is HUCUA. When you call speak with an airline agent going against policy, you don't roll over.

Originally Posted by txviking
1) Many of us were told by CBSA during our interviews. Yes, CBSA statements and CBSA web site conflict

2) Unknown

Reasonable people will conclude that they can trust official information on official government web sites. And most of the time, they can.

But this is not an argument I want to have with an officer who can decide to yank my NEXUS membership at any time, with no appeals process, based on the OFFICER's perception that I've somehow broken the rules.

As someone else pointed out earlier, once that argument starts, it's already lost. I won't presume to tell anyone else what to do, but for my money, a quick visit to the nearest NEXUS office to update the passport in person is worth it to avoid the risk of that argument occurring.
Au contraire there is an appeals process.

If you feel better updating in person, it is your prerogative, but recognize that it is not necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.