Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 6:35 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Tronic
My GE membership expires in 9 months and i'd like to switch to Nexus. If I renew now through GOES and choose Nexus, will the new expiration be 5 years + the remaining months of GE or just 5 years? (I do realize that I will have to be interviewed by CBSA)

If the latter, I'll just hold off for a while.

Thanks
I believe the expiry schedule is the same for both (5 years after your next birthday). In which case you might as well apply as soon as possible, since the new Nexus membership will expire exactly 5 years after your GE expires.
Old May 5, 2016, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
FYI...another datapoint on passport updates - renewed my US passport in February, and updated on GOES but hadn't been back into Canada since. Updated with the Nexus office in YYZ. Asked if it was still mandatory to do so, as website said only GOES update is needed, and she insisted yes, it does need to be done at the office in person as well (as was my impression, anyway), and that they tell everyone this during their interview. So beware - she did mention again (since I've heard it before0 that GOES updates the US system, but not the Canadians.
Old May 6, 2016, 12:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by emcampbe
FYI...another datapoint on passport updates - renewed my US passport in February, and updated on GOES but hadn't been back into Canada since. Updated with the Nexus office in YYZ. Asked if it was still mandatory to do so, as website said only GOES update is needed, and she insisted yes, it does need to be done at the office in person as well (as was my impression, anyway), and that they tell everyone this during their interview. So beware - she did mention again (since I've heard it before0 that GOES updates the US system, but not the Canadians.
Unless you were informed to update in person during the course of the inspection process (either by the NEXUS kiosk or the inspecting officer collecting the NEXUS receipt) or otherwise received a letter to do so, all public and current documentation from CBSA (eg CBSA website) clearly states an update due to a passport renewal is not required in person.

Did any of the above happen during your entry into Canada AFTER the expiry of your prior passport? If not, why did you even stop at the NEXUS office to begin with? In my opinion, this entire encounter only serves to perpetuate a misconception.

CBSA can do just one of the following to end this confusion:
  1. Update CBSA website stating updates must be made in person
  2. Update kiosk to print warning message if it detects passport on file has expired
  3. Update interface to handle subsequent updates from GEOS

First item is easy to implement. All evidence still indicate update in person is not required (and optional at best). I would even go as far to say there is strong reason to believe that passport information (on file) is not utilized at all during the NEXUS entry process.

Last edited by seawolf; May 6, 2016 at 12:57 am
Old May 6, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Question

Originally Posted by seawolf
Unless you were informed to update in person during the course of the inspection process (either by the NEXUS kiosk or the inspecting officer collecting the NEXUS receipt) or otherwise received a letter to do so, all public and current documentation from CBSA (eg CBSA website) clearly states an update due to a passport renewal is not required in person.

Did any of the above happen during your entry into Canada AFTER the expiry of your prior passport? If not, why did you even stop at the NEXUS office to begin with? In my opinion, this entire encounter only serves to perpetuate a misconception.

CBSA can do just one of the following to end this confusion:
  1. Update CBSA website stating updates must be made in person
  2. Update kiosk to print warning message if it detects passport on file has expired
  3. Update interface to handle subsequent updates from GEOS

First item is easy to implement. All evidence still indicate update in person is not required (and optional at best). I would even go as far to say there is strong reason to believe that passport information (on file) is not utilized at all during the NEXUS entry process.
I agree with you, there is a lot of conflicting information. However, I was emphatically told by CBSA during my interview that passport updates have to be made in person. This does contradict the officially available information, and it could well be a case of CBSA agents not receiving proper training. But until CBSA takes one of the actions you suggested, I'll play it safe and update in person.
Old May 6, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
I renewed my passport and updated my passport information on the GOES website. Since then, I have been able to use Global entry a few times with no issues. I was planning on taking my passport to the NEXUS office the next time I went to Canada just to be on the safe side. When I landed in YYZ and tried to use the NEXUS machines, the machines would not recognize me as a NEXUS member (when it took the iris scan it would not recognize me). I had to use the regular line for entry to Canada (which wasn't an issue because there was no line). At the NEXUS office, they said it was because my passport had expired. I told them I had updated it online and was planning on visiting the office the first time after entering Canada with my new passport, which would have been on this visit. She said it was no problem, and she updated the passport info and said the card should work now. I asked about the US officers, but she said that updating on the GOES website will update the US side, but that I still have to go into the office to update the Canadian side.
Old May 6, 2016, 3:54 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Chiro1979
I renewed my passport and updated my passport information on the GOES website. Since then, I have been able to use Global entry a few times with no issues. I was planning on taking my passport to the NEXUS office the next time I went to Canada just to be on the safe side. When I landed in YYZ and tried to use the NEXUS machines, the machines would not recognize me as a NEXUS member (when it took the iris scan it would not recognize me). I had to use the regular line for entry to Canada (which wasn't an issue because there was no line). At the NEXUS office, they said it was because my passport had expired. I told them I had updated it online and was planning on visiting the office the first time after entering Canada with my new passport, which would have been on this visit. She said it was no problem, and she updated the passport info and said the card should work now. I asked about the US officers, but she said that updating on the GOES website will update the US side, but that I still have to go into the office to update the Canadian side.
This makes sense from a process perspective. Notify you that a NEXUS update in person is required by having NEXUS kiosk reject you when passport on file is expired.

As mentioned several times before, unless you are otherwise notified by the NEXUS kiosk or the inspecting officer that passport on file has expired, the vast majority of NEXUS members would not even know to update passport in person and they would not be subject to NEXUS revocation.
Old May 7, 2016, 1:46 pm

Stupid question time regarding food.

So we all know that the GE prompt has changed its wording to be all inclusive when it comes to food and edible products. Fortunately for entry into Canada, CBSAs declaration is a little more forgiving, in that it asks
mear/meat products, dairy products, fruit, vegetables, seeds/nuts, plants and animals or their products, cut flowers, soil, wood/wood products, birds and insects
Still a long list, but not quite as bad as generic food. That being said, I had a discussion with my partner recently when returning home from Florida. We had brought back some cookies, chocolate, and key lime juice. Normally with the baked goods and chocolate I wouldn't declare as they are not specifically listed. But the key lime juice, at least in my mind, was close enough to the original fruit product that I didn't want to risk it. She laughed at me and again laughed when I was sent to secondary.
While in secondary, the CBSA agent rolled his eyes and told me to leave after I told him I had key lime juice.

So the question is, does fruit include juice for the purposes of declaration?
Old May 7, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: QMiles,Delta, United, Miles & More, AA, Avis, Hertz, National, SPG, Le Club Accorhotels
647 pages of comments... eeek...
Simple question... Are all Nexus cards mailed? or are they printed if you go to a canadian center? Reason I am asking is that I am a GE ( I know.... Wrong order) and am on long term assignment in Asia. I will be home for ten days (already approved ..scheduled an appt @ YUL). then leaving again..
Old May 7, 2016, 6:29 pm
Original Member

Mailed
Old May 8, 2016, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Jono
The way she explained it, most people need an interview, but a randomly chosen group representing about 5% of applicants do not need an interview.
Out of curiosity, are others getting an 'interview' when renewing?

I did my renewal yesterday at Fort Erie. They took my Passport, Driver's License, and NEXUS card at the FAST office, I signed a sheet that listed various rules of the program, they confirmed my address and employer, and then finally took a new photo and fingerprints. Was directed to the NEXUS office where I handed in my 3 documents at the window and they came back a few minutes later and said I would get my new card in the mail. I was at the office for 20 minutes.

Also, does anyone know if it is a problem to update address and employer at the interview? We scheduled my boyfriend's interview for July, because it looks like he will be changing employers soon and the plan is for him to go apartment hunting the start of July, so by the time he has the interview, he will know his new address and he will then move soon after the interview to start the new job. It would be nice if he can do the interview and update everything all at the same time.
Old May 8, 2016, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by iMedic
Stupid question time regarding food.
So the question is, does fruit include juice for the purposes of declaration?
Yes. "Travellers are required, by law, to declare all plant, animal, and food items they bring into Canada. This includes items related to plants, animals and food, or their by-products."

But who knows. This is CBSA's website. Anyone who follows this thread knows very well that CBSA's published guidelines may be very different from what front line agents will tell you in person.

My experience with bringing prohibited fruit into the NEXUS land lane is that as long as you declare it, you won't get into any trouble. The last time I declared I had fresh apples, the agent cleared me through, but then asked me to pull over ahead and either eat them then and there or dispose of them in the bins before proceeding further into Canada.
Old May 8, 2016, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kiraly
Yes. "Travellers are required, by law, to declare all plant, animal, and food items they bring into Canada. This includes items related to plants, animals and food, or their by-products."

But who knows. This is CBSA's website. Anyone who follows this thread knows very well that CBSA's published guidelines may be very different from what front line agents will tell you in person.

My experience with bringing prohibited fruit into the NEXUS land lane is that as long as you declare it, you won't get into any trouble. The last time I declared I had fresh apples, the agent cleared me through, but then asked me to pull over ahead and either eat them then and there or dispose of them in the bins before proceeding further into Canada.
Ultimately I think the ideal solution would be if the CBSA agent collecting the nexus forms and cards could ask what you're declaring and then waving you through or directing you to secondary, rather than being automatically pushed there if you answer yes.
Old May 10, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Hi everyone,

I've used my NEXUS perks like 20 times so far though exclusively when traveling by air. Tomorrow is my very first time overland (Van to Sea), can anyone explain detail how the crossing is made properly (how to scan the card, is verbal declaration enough on re-entry to Canada...)

Thank you
Old May 10, 2016, 11:45 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by redadeco
Hi everyone,

I've used my NEXUS perks like 20 times so far though exclusively when traveling by air. Tomorrow is my very first time overland (Van to Sea), can anyone explain detail how the crossing is made properly (how to scan the card, is verbal declaration enough on re-entry to Canada...)

Thank you
When crossing the border, there will be signs directing you to the proper booth. Sometimes NEXUS has dedicated lanes through what to travel. You'll wait behind a line 20-50 ft behind the booth (there's a stop sign). Once the car clears, hold your card(s) out with the window rolled down. Stop at the booth. Sometimes they'll ask if you're bringing anything in, sometimes they'll ask you a bunch of questions, sometimes they'll tell you to proceed. It just depends. If you have something to declare verbally, then do so as soon as you have a chance. They will always look at their computer screen to ensure the picture matches. They seldom ask for the cards though but I always hold it out just in case. The entire process usually takes between 5 and 30 seconds.
Old May 11, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by redadeco
Hi everyone,

Thank you
Originally Posted by trmbn65
When crossing the border, there will be signs directing you to the proper booth. Sometimes NEXUS has dedicated lanes through what to travel. You'll wait behind a line 20-50 ft behind the booth (there's a stop sign). Once the car clears, hold your card(s) out with the window rolled down. Stop at the booth. Sometimes they'll ask if you're bringing anything in, sometimes they'll ask you a bunch of questions, sometimes they'll tell you to proceed. It just depends. If you have something to declare verbally, then do so as soon as you have a chance. They will always look at their computer screen to ensure the picture matches. They seldom ask for the cards though but I always hold it out just in case. The entire process usually takes between 5 and 30 seconds.
I cross often and in fact, crossed today. As above, you hold your card(s) up in front of the board (all passengers in the car must have Nexus for you to use the lane). The screen beside the board will advise how many cards were 'read'. Proceed to the booth (I always roll down my back windows so they can see clearly no one is in the back seat), answer their questions, make any verbal declaration at that time and you'll be on your way quickly.

I go down often to buy dog food/groceries and regularly come back to Canada with hundreds of dollars of both. Neither are dutiable so I verbally declare what I have and they wave me through. No paper declaration form is necessary. Today, I drove back after being in the US for a month. Verbally declared the value of everything including booze, waved through in less than 10 seconds. She did ask for our Nexus cards and said they don't always scan correctly, and hadn't this time even though the board had said 2 cards were scanned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.