Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by encinc
Wondering whether anyone else has had a similar experience …

My family arrived back in Canada at YYZ T3 earlier this month. This is our first time using our cards at a kiosk coming into Canada. We all had iris scans done as part of our approval interviews. I was the first to approach a kiosk. It took several times for me to figure out where to look for the iris scan, and in the end, I was denied use of the kiosk (it said something about me being an unauthorized user). We were all tired after traveling so instead of having someone else try the kiosk, we all moved to the regular lines and got through using our passports. Unfortunately, we picked the lines with machines, so there wasn't an agent for us to talk to about what happened to me.

I'm wondering whether I need to go into the office to find out why I was considered an unauthorized user of my Nexus card, or whether I should assume it was just a fussy kiosk machine. I wear rigid gas permeable contact lenses, and I wonder if those might have interfered with the iris scan. No one else was using the Nexus kiosks when we arrived, and we didn't see anyone around to help at the time. We far more often cross the border by car than by plane, so it's likely that if there is something wrong, it will be picked up on our next car trip, but who knows.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
It's a known issue with the new nexus machines. What you should have done is go to the crew lane, which at T3 is at the extreme right of the customs terminal, rather than going through the regular lanes.

I had this happen last November returning from MCO on WS. I was tired and little drunk so I just assumed it was the nexus version of PEBCAK, however the agent told me it had been happening all evening.

Oddly enough I haven't had any issues with the kiosks in terminal 1, though I'm sure that's more coincidence than anything else.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by airswim
Hello,

My wife and I are new Canadian nexus card users. Both of us applied, received our acceptance letter, and have done interview, eye scan and finger printing.

We used our cards at YYZ preclearnce. I got through with no issues. My wife was flagged for secondary screening. Seems she had a shoplifting charge when she visited the U.S. over 36 years ago. Paid a fine and thought that was that.

So....shouldn't this have been caught in the initial screening for the nexus and denied acceptance then? And with nexus tied to her passport will she always be flagged from now on? Will she have the same issues on return to Canada?

She has never had a problem in the past going the regular border clearance route. We are hoping she at least can go back to that with no hassles.

Any thoughts, suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Your wife should apply for a pardon.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:33 am

Is it normal that when driving across the boarder I was only asked to present my nexus card and not my passport?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: IHG Amb, Honors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by zer0k1
Is it normal that when driving across the boarder I was only asked to present my nexus card and not my passport?
Yes, normal and common. I've never been asked for my passport in the nexus lane. Also, the nexus card is all you need to cross a land border (you don't need your passport).
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by zer0k1
Absolutely.

In one instances, I was asked for my passport as well. I provided it even though I didn't have to. I filed a complaint with CBSA and was told if it happens again to ask to go inside and speak to a supervisor.

For me it wasn't worth the hassle at the time as I had my passport on hand anyway.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:31 am

Question

I recently renewed my Nexus card for another five years. Up till now I have only used it to cross the border into Canada.

In about a month I am planning to fly to Puerto Rico. I understand the Nexus program offers some advantages when it comes to airport security. I haven't used my Nexus card to fly in fact I have not made a trip by air since for a long time. Can anyone fill me in if the Nexus card has any benefits related to air travel? Thank you!
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:36 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by moreofless
In about a month I am planning to fly to Puerto Rico. I understand the Nexus program offers some advantages when it comes to airport security. I haven't used my Nexus card to fly in fact I have not made a trip by air since for a long time. Can anyone fill me in if the Nexus card has any benefits related to air travel? Thank you!
Assuming that you're flying to Puerto Rico on an airline that participates in Precheck, the key thing to do is make sure that the Secure Flight info the airline has includes your name (first/middle/last) and birthdate as they are on the NEXUS card, and the "Known Traveller Number" field is filled in with your 9 digit PASS ID number from the back of your card (see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24026240-post6.html for location).

This will give you the best odds of getting Precheck.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: IC RA, AA EXP
I've searched the thread, so please douse me in fire if already answered, but I couldn't find it.

I'm a Canadian on H1-B living in California. Applied for Nexus on GOES, primarily to get Global Entry, since I fly TPAC about monthly. I've gotten my conditional approval, so I'm looking to schedule an interview. Here's the conundrum. I've read that you have to go to a Canadian office for an iris scan for air travel. Is that only air travel b/t USA and Canada?

To be explicit, can I go to one of the US enrollment centers, not get an iris scan, and use Global Entry in an US airport coming back from Asia or Europe?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by grompf
To be explicit, can I go to one of the US enrollment centers, not get an iris scan, and use Global Entry in an US airport coming back from Asia or Europe?
Yes, and only air travel into Canada these days - US preclearance in Canadian airports uses GE - but note that you will still have to interview in a location staffed by both US and Canadian officers, all of which are either in Canada or near the border. The closest such site to you (and the one the furthest south of the border) is Seattle-Boeing Field. You cannot schedule your interview at a Global Entry center in California.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kieron
Yes, and only air travel into Canada these days - US preclearance in Canadian airports uses GE - but note that you will still have to interview in a location staffed by both US and Canadian officers, all of which are either in Canada or near the border. The closest such site to you (and the one the furthest south of the border) is Seattle-Boeing Field. You cannot schedule your interview at a Global Entry center in California.
Perfect, thanks! I know I have to go to a NEXUS center, but the interview appointments for ones with iris scan are months out. I booked myself into Seattle for this weekend ^
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
For iris scans later, you can walk into any center that does them without an appointment and get scanned on the spot. Much easier!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by fasacrifice
Hi All,

I've had my NEXUS card since 2012. I've used it hundreds of times by land dozens of times by air since I work in US with TN visa and live in Vancouver,BC. Didn't have any single problem until this year but unfortunately I've made two mistakes in two months.

In February 2015, I brought back commercial goods by land via NEXUS lane. I knew I wasn't suppose to do that but I just didn't think through at that time since I pass the border very often sometimes 2 times in a day. I totally declared the value and said it's commercial stuff but they sent me in and gave me a warning just because I brought commercial goods. They said they'll inform NEXUS office. in a week or so I got a letter from the office saying that this a warning and you might loose your NEXUS card with another mistake.

Unfortunately I made another mistake today and brought back some stuff for my friend who ordered some stuff from Amazon. I really didn't ask the real value to him and just declared as $225 as my wild guess. This time they asked for the receipt and everything. To make it short my friend email me the receipt when I was in there and it turned out to be $400. They said I can not bring anything for anybody other than domestic partner through NEXUS lane and also I lied about the value. They took quite a bit time and decided not to confiscate my NEXUS. Just paid the tax and they said they will inform NEXUS office. I think they can not see my previous warning in the system since they didn't mention anything about it. And of course I didn't either since they didn't ask.

My question is that when the NEXUS office gets my second warning, are they gonna revoke my NEXUS privileges? Is it possible that I just get only another warning? Any experience?

Thanks
Hi All,

I got lucky and just got another warning from NEXUS saying the same thing as the first warning letter.

I've used NEXUS at least 3 times last 2 weeks at both side and everything is same as before. No screening or anything.

I think I'm just lucky or the officer believed that they were honest mistakes. I think once officer doesn't seize your NEXUS at that time then you are safe.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:07 pm

I have used my nexus card a few times, my passport expired and silly me didn't even clue in that I had to update it till I was at the airport...I couldn't use the machine, had to go thru agent and sure enough was the day my luck wasn't available... I just spent 4 months in the US and was coming back after a short time in canada, she sent me to the 2nd office, he barely talked with me and just said I was living here since Ive been spending a lot of time in the US. I said I am not, my residency is in Canada bla bla... he had none of it he did say he could denny my entry, cancel my visa and my nexus but that he wouldn't do it. He gave me a week to come in and out of the US.
He said I would be able to come to the US for 6 months but the way he said it I felt he was just being an "A" and trying to intimidate me as I told him I have a vacation in June that I already purchased my ticket..

So I got back within the time he told me, I imagine theres no way to know for sure but whats the likability that next time I will use my nexus card it would be flagged for another interview? Is that something "normal"?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by brcnd2015
I have used my nexus card a few times, my passport expired and silly me didn't even clue in that I had to update it till I was at the airport...I couldn't use the machine, had to go thru agent and sure enough was the day my luck wasn't available... I just spent 4 months in the US and was coming back after a short time in canada, she sent me to the 2nd office, he barely talked with me and just said I was living here since Ive been spending a lot of time in the US. I said I am not, my residency is in Canada bla bla... he had none of it he did say he could denny my entry, cancel my visa and my nexus but that he wouldn't do it. He gave me a week to come in and out of the US.
He said I would be able to come to the US for 6 months but the way he said it I felt he was just being an "A" and trying to intimidate me as I told him I have a vacation in June that I already purchased my ticket..

So I got back within the time he told me, I imagine theres no way to know for sure but whats the likability that next time I will use my nexus card it would be flagged for another interview? Is that something "normal"?
My guess was that he just felt like being an "A" that day, I really doubt he flagged your name or anything because he is being unreasonable. I would not worry about it.
Old May 1, 2015, 3:29 pm

I'm gathering my documentation for my interview tomorrow, and one of the things the letter says to bring is:

"Proof of permanent resident status document(s) in Canada or the United States as identified on your application (e.g. valid Permanent Resident Card or Record of Landing);"

On my application I identified as 'neither' us or canada, since I'm residing in the US on a H1B. Do I need to bring anything aside from my I-797, passport and California DL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.