Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Absolute
There have been lots of discussion about this on this thread, but the key is the bolded line above. If you change your address you can do it online.

However, a new passport (including renewal) is not already on file. As such even though you can update it online, it's not valid in the eyes on CBSA, being a new passport.

I've asked as well, and the US does NOT share updates made in GOES with Canada. It's a privacy/security/whatever issue that prevents true data sharing. Ever notice at Nexus offices there is a US and a Canadian officer at separate computers?

One is owned by the US, one by Canada - they are not the same system or interface. Additionally, the US also has an additional computer only for ABTC applications.

From my earlier posts, I did a GOES renewal without issues or any problems until I went into a Nexus office to pick up my pass I left at security, and was read the riot act for using it in violation for 2 years.
Exactly, 100%, precisely the same as my experience. Right down to being read the riot act.

Updated passport = Nexus office visit. Period.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by swrieden
Hello all, first post

I have a NEXUS interview scheduled next week, and my address has changed since I filled out the application. I was in California and now I am in Washington.

My California license (only license) still has the address I put on the application. Should I bring a pay stub from my new job with my new address on it? I don't want to be denied for this.

Thanks
I would definitely bring something with the new address on it. You'll likely need it - they want proof of everything (they once denied updating employment information because I didn't have a business card yet). But even if you don't, it stays in your bag/pocket and isn't a big deal.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:31 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by ffsim
Exactly, 100%, precisely the same as my experience. Right down to being read the riot act.

Updated passport = Nexus office visit. Period.
It is odd that I was told this was absolutely NOT necessary by one office, and told that it absolutely WAS necessary by another. When in doubt, error on the side of caution I suppose. I'll bring the new Passport to a NEXUS office and be done with it.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Absolute
However, a new passport (including renewal) is not already on file. As such even though you can update it online, it's not valid in the eyes on CBSA, being a new passport.
What, then, does CBSA mean by "NEXUS members can access the Global Online Enrollment System (GOES) to update address changes and passport information that is already on file"? Replacing a passport is the only thing you can do with it. Canadian passports are not alterable or updatable in any other way.

I understand that a NEXUS office visit is mandatory for passport updates, but only because I have read about it in this thread, and I did indeed visit the office a couple of weeks ago when I updated my passport. My point is that despite CBSA agents telling people in person to visit the office, and harassing people who haven't, the only official published word from CBSA about passport updates is to use GOES. When there is that big a discrepancy between what the published guidelines say and what is actually happening, that is a problem.

Last edited by Kiraly; Feb 15, 2015 at 9:15 pm
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Data point:

Renewal applications 2015/02/09; conditional approval 2015/02/16. I was really hoping we could avoid doing interviews since we live in YQR and need to travel to do them, but alas, no such luck. (I assume I'd know immediately if interviews were waived?) We had no changes at all in our circumstances so I'm not sure why the interviews are required; maybe because we live in Saskatchewan and it's unusual for us to have NEXUS?

In any event, we have a four-hour connection at YYZ en route home from CDG in June so I've booked our appointments for the dead middle time - gives us time to be an hour or hour and a half late (we should clear customs quickly with NEXUS anyway) and yet still not be too rushed re-clearing security.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:33 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
FYI:

Passport Renewal for me was lightning fast. I received my new Passport in EXACTLY 13 DAYS after mailing it in. I DID NOT CHOOSE OR PAY FOR EXPRESS SERVICE. Darn glad I didn't. It would have been a huge waste of money.

13 day turn around on a Passport Renewal without Express Service is a Record for me. Very surprised it was so fast. Must have hit the timing perfectly during a slump in renewals to get a turnaround that fast.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by RobbieRunner
FYI:

Passport Renewal for me was lightning fast. I received my new Passport in EXACTLY 13 DAYS after mailing it in. I DID NOT CHOOSE OR PAY FOR EXPRESS SERVICE. Darn glad I didn't. It would have been a huge waste of money.

13 day turn around on a Passport Renewal without Express Service is a Record for me. Very surprised it was so fast. Must have hit the timing perfectly during a slump in renewals to get a turnaround that fast.
Is this a US passport? I'm always surprised by how slow the department of state usually is. Luckily, I renewed mine at the consulate in Toronto and took exactly one week including transit times.

Passport Canada is usually pretty speedy. I think two weeks is their standard processing time, but of course you can always get it sooner if you pay a little extra.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by xero9
Passport Canada is usually pretty speedy. I think two weeks is their standard processing time, but of course you can always get it sooner if you pay a little extra.
My last passports were quick. I dropped off the paperwork at a passport office in Regina on a Monday. I had replacement passports in my mailbox (well, a card to go pick them up) on Friday.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by RobbieRunner
FYI:

I did pay for expedited service and overnight return delivery and was shocked to have my passport back in my hand 9 days after mailing it in, and that includes the Presidents Day holiday. In a perfect world--no holidays and if I'd have sent it in by overnight Express Mail, too, I could have had it back in hand in 7 days. That's pretty impressive.

Perhaps I could have saved the $75 extra and just done normal processing, but I would have been sweating bullets if my passport had not arrived before the middle of next month when I leave for my CX F trip to JNB.

Hopefully I will be able to stop at the NEXUS office at BFI on my overnight layover in SEA to update them with my new passport.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:18 pm

I went to the NEXUS office at YYZ to update my passport today. The person doing the updating specifically mentioned that address and job changes must also be done in person.

However, my address was correct on file even though I hadn't updated it. But I have renewed my NEXUS membership since I moved. So somehow the renewal made my address update for the Canadian side.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by melissayyz
I went to the NEXUS office at YYZ to update my passport today. The person doing the updating specifically mentioned that address and job changes must also be done in person.

However, my address was correct on file even though I hadn't updated it. But I have renewed my NEXUS membership since I moved. So somehow the renewal made my address update for the Canadian side.
I updated my passport information at a Global Entry (not Nexus) center. They said they really shouldn't, but did it anyway. I'm not going to front which office it was.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I updated my passport information at a Global Entry (not Nexus) center. They said they really shouldn't, but did it anyway. I'm not going to front which office it was.
No reason not to "front" which office it was--any Global Entry center will update your passport information in the Global Entry portion of the system, thus continuing to allow you to use Global Entry kiosks.

However, this will not update your information in the NEXUS system, and you cannot use NEXUS kiosks until you visit a NEXUS enrollment center and update your passport information with them. Even if you have updated your information with Global Entry, the NEXUS center will look and still see your old passport information, so it will not matter if you have updated it with the Global Entry folks. (However, any updates done at a NEXUS center will also update Global Entry, so it's not necessary to visit both, but it's a one-way transaction--only NEXUS centers can do the full update.)
Old Mar 7, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by jackal
No reason not to "front" which office it was--any Global Entry center will update your passport information in the Global Entry portion of the system, thus continuing to allow you to use Global Entry kiosks.

However, this will not update your information in the NEXUS system, and you cannot use NEXUS kiosks until you visit a NEXUS enrollment center and update your passport information with them. Even if you have updated your information with Global Entry, the NEXUS center will look and still see your old passport information, so it will not matter if you have updated it with the Global Entry folks. (However, any updates done at a NEXUS center will also update Global Entry, so it's not necessary to visit both, but it's a one-way transaction--only NEXUS centers can do the full update.)
That's not exactly true. I had no problem using the kiosks for 4 years without an update at a NEXUS centre, as one of the Centres specifically told me I could update at a GE center. The only reason they did end up updating on the Canadian side is that I went to the YYZ centre to inquire/complain about the new kiosks. You can definitely still use the kiosks.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by jadephoenixx
is it OK that hubby and I go to one machine at the same time? Or should one of us go up and the other stay in the line until he/she's done?
Wife and I and three kids have all used different machines, several times.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:15 am

So I used (tried) the nexus last night at yyz upon entering Canada from Dominican. Inserted my nexus into the machine and got the message that I am unauthorized user. I have used the machine at YYZ fine. My wife's card worked Ok and she got a receipt. My 3 year old son has a card but no IRIS scan on file due to age.

We proceeded to the special service counter, where we were told since our son is too young, we should just use the regular line. Also the agent could not tell me why my card did not work. He suggested that i Contact nexus.

So my question is, is nexus useless for entering Canada with a kid who has nexus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.