Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by greglvnv
Your situation closely reflects mine and I am now a Nexus holder. They will ask you to show them some kind of proof of what the final court resolution was (not expungement but conviction related). There is an exception for drug related offenses though. I was told it was a no go regardless of how old the offense is.
Thanks, that's very helpful. What kind of proof did you show? Did it have to be a certified document from the court? And were you "conditionally approved" in GOES first?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Thanks, that's very helpful. What kind of proof did you show? Did it have to be a certified document from the court? And were you "conditionally approved" in GOES first?
It was a printout from the court's clerk breaking down what happened each day in court and all they wanted to see was what happened on the day of conviction (or plea). Yes, I was "conditionally approved" in GOES first.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Adding fingerprints for minors

So we had our interviews at YEG a couple weeks back for my DW and four minor children. Cards arrived in the mail yesterday so we're pretty happy about avoiding the lines next time we go through YYZ to the US. Of course they didn't want to do the iris scan or fingerprints.

I'm less concerned about the iris scan since, but I asked whether they would take the fingerprints for the kids under age 14 as this would enrol them in GE, and supposedly make it easier to transit to US in air mode rather than getting the big X. According to the Nexus website the fingerprints are voluntary for those under age 14 - so I "volunteered" to have their fingerprints taken. The US agent would not take them stating it was policy not to do so - even when I pointed it out from the website.

So here is my question, can we add the fingerprints for those kids under age 14 now and do I need an appointment to get this done or is it like the iris scan when you can just drop in? Am flying through YVR with the family and have a 2.5 hour layover. Would be nice to kill some time and see if I get a different response there.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by YEGAccountant
So we had our interviews at YEG a couple weeks back for my DW and four minor children. Cards arrived in the mail yesterday so we're pretty happy about avoiding the lines next time we go through YYZ to the US. Of course they didn't want to do the iris scan or fingerprints.

I'm less concerned about the iris scan since, but I asked whether they would take the fingerprints for the kids under age 14 as this would enrol them in GE, and supposedly make it easier to transit to US in air mode rather than getting the big X. According to the Nexus website the fingerprints are voluntary for those under age 14 - so I "volunteered" to have their fingerprints taken. The US agent would not take them stating it was policy not to do so - even when I pointed it out from the website.

So here is my question, can we add the fingerprints for those kids under age 14 now and do I need an appointment to get this done or is it like the iris scan when you can just drop in? Am flying through YVR with the family and have a 2.5 hour layover. Would be nice to kill some time and see if I get a different response there.
I think you are correct with the "official" policy. They should have taken the fingerprints. You should be able to go back without an appointment to have them taken.

At the DUB preclearance, I saw a mother hold her 12 month old child and put his fingers on the scanner and it worked. So, guess it's possible for anybody to have his/her fingerprints taken.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:36 pm

Definition of 'employer'?

I expect that like many FT'ers, I don't just have a single employer, but when I look at the (paper) application form it is very firmly based in the idea of continuous employment with a single employer. In 2016 I had 5 'employers' (according to CRA and IRS rules) in 4 countries as well as 2 clients. In previous years the ratio has been reversed (give or take). It varies year to year. None of them are in any way contentious.

How should I report this on the very limited form? My H1-B applications (I'm up for my 5th renewal at the moment) allow much more leeway for explanation than the form on the Nexus page.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by YEGAccountant

When my kids first got their nexus cards at ages 3 and 5 back 2010, they did not have iris scans or fingerprints. This was before Nexus members were automatically eligible for GE. When we renewed them last year (ages 9 and 11), they got their irises and fingerprints scanned. The Cdn agents only concern was not the kids' ages per policy, but whether they would be able to do the iris scan. US agents had no problems taking their fingerprints.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 4:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
The way it was explained during recent NEXUS enrollment is scanning of iris and/or fingerprint of young minors is not a problem. The problem is the profile captured is not going to be recognized shortly thereafter (months/years) due to growth.

We had children's fingerprints captured and verified during GE enrollment. When it came time to use GE kiosks 18 months later, the prints were no longer verifiable by the kiosk.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by painintheuk
I expect that like many FT'ers, I don't just have a single employer, but when I look at the (paper) application form it is very firmly based in the idea of continuous employment with a single employer. In 2016 I had 5 'employers' (according to CRA and IRS rules) in 4 countries as well as 2 clients. In previous years the ratio has been reversed (give or take). It varies year to year. None of them are in any way contentious.

How should I report this on the very limited form? My H1-B applications (I'm up for my 5th renewal at the moment) allow much more leeway for explanation than the form on the Nexus page.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK.
I'd put them all down.

Back in the paper application days, they used to tell you to attach an extra sheet of paper if you needed to add more than they had room for (I had to do that for addresses, and possibly employers, at one point.

On the online application, isn't there an ability to add additional fields for employers, addresses, etc.? Maybe only one allows you not to put an end date, but even so, I'd just leave the current month, and then you can explain at the interview if necessary.

Originally Posted by Jono
When my kids first got their nexus cards at ages 3 and 5 back 2010, they did not have iris scans or fingerprints. This was before Nexus members were automatically eligible for GE. When we renewed them last year (ages 9 and 11), they got their irises and fingerprints scanned. The Cdn agents only concern was not the kids' ages per policy, but whether they would be able to do the iris scan. US agents had no problems taking their fingerprints.
Our 2 year old is Nexus, so obviously no iris or fingerprints yet.

It is a bit of a PITA to have to always talk to someone both ways. However, usually the lines aren't long since you can still go to the GE line anyway US-bound (go to the machine, get the X for baby, and then wait to talk to the guy), but also means I am much more flexible to bring in food, because I have to talk to someone anyway, and often, they don't even ask about that. Canada-bound, there's almost never anyone in line by where the kiosk is.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I'd put them all down.

Back in the paper application days, they used to tell you to attach an extra sheet of paper if you needed to add more than they had room for (I had to do that for addresses, and possibly employers, at one point.

On the online application, isn't there an ability to add additional fields for employers, addresses, etc.? Maybe only one allows you not to put an end date, but even so, I'd just leave the current month, and then you can explain at the interview if necessary.

Our 2 year old is Nexus, so obviously no iris or fingerprints yet.

It is a bit of a PITA to have to always talk to someone both ways. However, usually the lines aren't long since you can still go to the GE line anyway US-bound (go to the machine, get the X for baby, and then wait to talk to the guy), but also means I am much more flexible to bring in food, because I have to talk to someone anyway, and often, they don't even ask about that. Canada-bound, there's almost never anyone in line by where the kiosk is.
Thanks!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold
nexus interview -- expired pr

i am conditionally approved for nexus and I'm going to have the interview in February. However, my pr card is expired and the renewal is still in process. What can I do? Will a COPR work?

Last edited by jeffrey262626; Jan 12, 2017 at 12:24 pm
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:50 pm

My children were 9 and 11 when they were approved and interviewed for Nexus. At the time, they only took iris scans of both children with no problems. On a return trip, I decided to pop into the Nexus office since we were at YYZ and inquired about GE and getting their fingerprints done (still at 9 and 11 years). The agent did them right on the spot...no interview time needed!
My children are happy to do GE every time we enter the US. They have never had a problem having their fingerprints scanned, and it has been 4 years now. The prefer GE over Nexus...it was difficult getting their iris scans done, and we often had one kid who always got the X!!! But now at 13 and 15, they don't seem to have any trouble. I would suggest popping in to the office when you happen to be at the airport and simply inquire again about getting GE fingerprints done...a different agent might be willing to do that process for you.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:04 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Interesting read on NEXUS application process.

According to this document, you should be carrying your citizenship document along with NEXUS card as membership card is merely a "trigger for accessing the relevant program’s database" and "is not an official travel document."
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Originally Posted by seawolf

According to this document, you should be carrying your citizenship document along with NEXUS card as membership card is merely a "trigger for accessing the relevant program’s database" and "is not an official travel document."
I live in Detroit & travel to Windsor (across the river) frequently & I only carry my Nexus card and have never been questioned about my passport.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by seawolf

But does one need an "official travel document" to travel between the US and Canada (as a US or Canadian citizen), or is any proof of citizenship and identity enough?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by televisor
But does one need an "official travel document" to travel between the US and Canada (as a US or Canadian citizen), or is any proof of citizenship and identity enough?
U.S. Customs & Border Protection - Visiting the U.S. - Documents required for Canadian Citizens / Residents / Landed Immigrant to enter the U.S. and how long they can stay

All Canadian Citizens entering the United States by AIR are required to present a valid passport, or a NEXUS card when departing from a designated Canadian airport. Non Canadian citizens click here for entry requirements.

By Land and Sea (including ferries) - Canadian citizens traveling to the U.S. by land or sea are required to present one of the travel documents listed below, and may generally visit the U.S. for up to six months. CBP will accept: Canadian passport, Enhanced Driver's License/Enhanced Identification Card, NEXUS, FAST/EXPRES and SENTRI enrollment cards.
Bureau of Consular Affairs, U.S. Department of State - Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements

Entry into Canada: Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens.

Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship.
[moderator's note]

Being that this information is tangential to the NEXUS information thread, if you wish to continue this discussion, please start a new thread in the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum.

Thank you.

[/moderator's note]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.