Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by xero9
I did, this was at YYZ. Interesting, my process was reversed. First spoke to the Canadian person, then down to the end of the counter for the US guy.

Curious if residency makes a difference on the order? FWIW, NEXUS considers me American, but a Canadian resident.
I've always had to talk to Canada first, then US (at YYZ). I was a Canadian resident when I first applied, and US resident for my renewal interview, so don't believe that makes a difference. I believe that's how the setup always is/was (at least at YYZ).

Wonder if its possible that if the Canadians are busy but US are not, they might swap the order.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joseagc
Hi all,

I flew to IAH last week from YYZ and when I tried to use GE, first machine said I am not enrolled on it. Then tried in a second machine, and it said "Mexicans have to use their Visa or Mexican passport". I was born in Mexico but I was using my Canadian passport. Not sure what happened here!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
JAG
AFAIK, even if you have both documents set up in GOES, there is only one that can be set up for you to use in a GE machine - for one with a US passport, it has to be that. I'm guessing (but its just a guess) that they set you up to use your Mexican credentials.

I would try first to call a GE office (since it seems to concern GE, and you will be able to speak to an US officer there), and they should be able to look you up and see how you are set up. Perhaps they'll be able to sort it out on the phone, or perhaps you'll need to go into an office to have the system updated with your Canadian passport.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by gomibako
btw, has anyone crossed the border into buffalo with Nexus and/or Global Entry by Greyhound bus?
Crossing the border by bus is perhaps the least pleasant way to travel. There will be no special GE or Nexus benefits. In fact, you're going to wait for the slowest person to get through anyway...invariably someone who doesn't speak English and may or may not have the right visa will take 15 minutes.

I always show my Nexus card, but I don't know if it makes much difference. Sometimes it seems like it may have sped it up, although, I also had my worst border crossing experience ever by bus. Even had to ask for a supervisor once the agent veered into inappropriate territory. Although that was Detroit and not Buffalo.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA G, *G, Global Entry, Marriott, Hilton, Fairmont, Hyatt, Starwood etc
Originally Posted by Kiraly
There is conflicting information even about that. The Both the CBP and CBSA say that the NEXUS card is valid in lieu of a passport when traveling between the two countries - yes - by air.

Here's the quote from CBSA: NEXUS cards are now accepted as proof of identification and to denote citizenship when entering Canada by land, air (when entering Canada from the U.S.), or marine ports of entry. This means that Canadian or U.S. citizens who are NEXUS members may use their membership card when entering Canada by land, air or boat when using non-NEXUS lanes.

I can't find anything similar on CBP

Also, CBSA stipulates that you must report to an enrolment centre to report changes to citizenship documents (not specifying passports however, which are not strictly speaking citizenship documents but CAN only be procured in the setting of citizenship)
Bizarrely, it also states you must report to the centre if the PURPOSE OF YOUR TRAVEL changes...e.g. from business to pleasure.

If that's what's happening, then it's broken, since CBSA says updating through GOES is sufficient.

But only for updates address changes and passport information that is already on file.

My point is, though, that the published guidelines say something that appears to be entirely false.
No surprises there...
I have just tried to contact the YVR office to ask specifically whether I needed to come in and if so needed an appointment, and was told I might get a callback in a week or so.

I contacted the Peace Arch office who said that the NEXUS defaults to US passport, so not to worry about it...

Obviously nothing and no one can be believed or counted on to answer, let alone do so correctly.

I am going through the Peace Arch shortly and will report back on what happens. My GOES file clearly states Expired Document, but it is a document (PR card) that I will never renew.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hazcaddy
If you're going to take a cab, you better tip big ($10) - the cabbie will have been lining up for a long time and is expecting a $60+ fare into the City, not a $6 fare down the side of the airport...
It would be $19, not $6 :P
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by nabeelj
It would be $19, not $6 :P
haha yeah its going to cost you at least $5 before you even go anywhere.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Absolute

Quick question - did you visit a NEXUS office for your interview? I've always noticed myself that you start at the US desk, hand over all your documents, etc., and then do the exact same at the Canadian desk. As you mentioned, no sharing of details, and neither officer ever looks at the other's screen, or takes data off of it. Also emphasizes that the US probably doesn't share much with Canada, even during the initial application process.

If you go for an ABTC interview, there is a third computer they need to use for it with a signature pad and yet another system, not connected to the CBP or CBSA systems - but it is only usable by the CBP agent.
To compound to the confusion, I'll share my interview experience in Detroit. I attended the interview and my DL had expired since I applied. I brought the new DL and my current passport with me, as required. There were 4 CPB officers and 1 CBSA officer. Each CBP officer had his/her own computer but the CBSA officer did not. One of the CBP officers updated it in the computer but the CBSA officer did not even look at either document. After the interview, the CBSA wrote some info on a form, checked the "Approve" box, and handed it to another CBP officer who entered something into the computer.

Also, there was no Canadian and American "desk". It was one long counter with the CBP officers and CBSA officer sitting next to each other.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by landrew
Originally Posted by Kiraly
There is conflicting information even about that. The Both the CBP and CBSA say that the NEXUS card is valid in lieu of a passport when traveling between the two countries - yes - by air.
Here's the quote from CBSA: NEXUS cards are now accepted as proof of identification and to denote citizenship when entering Canada by land, air (when entering Canada from the U.S.), or marine ports of entry. This means that Canadian or U.S. citizens who are NEXUS members may use their membership card when entering Canada by land, air or boat when using non-NEXUS lanes.

I can't find anything similar on CBP
I posted it above. Here's the link again: http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-tr...nexus-overview
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by moreofless
I just received my "Conditionally Approved" notification. In the letter I am "now invited to visit a NEXUS enrollment center for an interview". The letter also states "You are not authorized to use the NEXUS lanes or NEXUS Air Kiosks until you receive your NEXUS card".

I have had a valid Nexus card since 2009 which expires in December 2014. Does the statement in the letter mean I cannot use the Nexus lane when I go to my interview? The last thing I want to do is violate some technical requirement of the program and lose my Nexus privileges. I would be driving to an enrollment center in Canada from the US.

Can anyone elaborate on how I should handle this situation?
I have my interview to renew my NEXUS card scheduled in a few days. Since I cannot find a good answer to this question, I plan on using the regular customs lanes into Canada and I will ask at the Enrollment Center what I should do on the way back into the US a couple days later.

It is like you give up your NEXUS card the instant you apply for the renewal. That does not seem logical but I will follow the letter exactly.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
Originally Posted by moreofless
I just received my "Conditionally Approved" notification. In the letter I am "now invited to visit a NEXUS enrollment center for an interview". The letter also states "You are not authorized to use the NEXUS lanes or NEXUS Air Kiosks until you receive your NEXUS card".

I have had a valid Nexus card since 2009 which expires in December 2014. Does the statement in the letter mean I cannot use the Nexus lane when I go to my interview? The last thing I want to do is violate some technical requirement of the program and lose my Nexus privileges. I would be driving to an enrollment center in Canada from the US.

Can anyone elaborate on how I should handle this situation?
I used my existing NEXUS card several times while I had an interview scheduled for my renewal. I had no issues at all. When I went for my interview, they did tell me that I cannot use the NEXUS machines until I receive my new card. I asked if this also meant my existing card because I was going back to the US, and they said it was no problem using my current card as it is still valid until I receive my new card. I suspect that verbiage applies more to people applying for NEXUS for the first time, not for those of us applying for a renewal and in possession of an existing valid card.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by astroflyer
Crossing the border by bus is perhaps the least pleasant way to travel. There will be no special GE or Nexus benefits. In fact, you're going to wait for the slowest person to get through anyway...invariably someone who doesn't speak English and may or may not have the right visa will take 15 minutes.

I always show my Nexus card, but I don't know if it makes much difference. Sometimes it seems like it may have sped it up, although, I also had my worst border crossing experience ever by bus. Even had to ask for a supervisor once the agent veered into inappropriate territory. Although that was Detroit and not Buffalo.
I went to the Bills game this weekend by charter bus (all going to the game). There was a special lane for buses going to the game at Ft Erie crossing. US CBP officer came on the bus, checked photos against the holders, took all passports and Nexus cards (several of us used Nexus), scanned them and brought them back. 10 mins total.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by vernonc
I went to the Bills game this weekend by charter bus (all going to the game). There was a special lane for buses going to the game at Ft Erie crossing. US CBP officer came on the bus, checked photos against the holders, took all passports and Nexus cards (several of us used Nexus), scanned them and brought them back. 10 mins total.
That's awesome, but I can assure you that it is not SOP. Normally all travelers exit the bus with luggage and are processed one by one. The luggage is put through an X-ray machine. Everyone then reboards the bus. Never has it been as fast as 10 minutes.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:28 pm

We've had Nexus for a year or so, and used it several times crossing by land, but never by air. We usually drive to BUF and fly out of the US, but this time we are flying to FL out of YYZ on WestJet. The WestJet site asks for citizenship and passport information in order to speed up the check in process.

My question is: If I fill in the passport information, are we obligated to use our passports when going through US customs/immigration at YYZ? Or, can we still use the Nexus card for that? I don't mind carrying both documents if that is what is going to make the flying out of YYZ experience easiest for us.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by encinc
We've had Nexus for a year or so, and used it several times crossing by land, but never by air. We usually drive to BUF and fly out of the US, but this time we are flying to FL out of YYZ on WestJet. The WestJet site asks for citizenship and passport information in order to speed up the check in process.

My question is: If I fill in the passport information, are we obligated to use our passports when going through US customs/immigration at YYZ? Or, can we still use the Nexus card for that? I don't mind carrying both documents if that is what is going to make the flying out of YYZ experience easiest for us.
You can use NEXUS at YYZ (in lieu of passport)

but you should carry your passport, just in case (also as NEXUS requirement)
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:58 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by encinc
Firstly - ALWAYS carry your passport with your NEXUS when flying. You are required to produce your passport on demand, and I can tell you from personal experience that you will be refused entry to the US if you try to just travel on a NEXUS card. Had to fly back to Ottawa, find my lost passport, and then return - hard justifying those additional flights to my employer.

Even on AC, which has a field on the Advanced Passenger Information System for your NEXUS PassID number, always requires me to provide my passport at the check-in counter. They don't seem to accept it as complete ID at the counter.

Once I've done that, I simply show my NEXUS card at Canadian security (YOW) and not my passport. At US pre-clearance (YYZ), the new GE machines require you to scan your passport (or you can place your NEXUS card in), but agents always ask for my passport afterwards. And strangely, even stamped it last time, for the first time in years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.