Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Old Sep 20, 2014, 2:00 pm

NEXUS use if temporarily without a valid passport?

Originally Posted by moreofless
I am a US citizen. About 4 weeks ago I completed my application to renew my Nexus card. At the same time I realized my Passport was going to expire in a couple months. At that time I also mailed my application to renew my passport. Yesterday I received my new passport which expires in 2024. Now my current Nexus card and application both have my old passport associated with them. I do not see a way I can update this in GOES. Since my Nexus application is in "Pending Review" status, when it is reviewed the reviewer will see my old passport not my new one. What is the proper thing for me to do in this situation? Is there someone I can call?
Slightly similar question:
Passport expires in late January. I plan to apply for a new passport in early December. I presume they will cancel my passport when they receive the application and the old passport in December but may not issue the new passport until a few days later.

Will this affect my NEXUS card? Or should I try to time the passport application so that I will not be using my NEXUS card during the passport renewal process and then update GOES when I receive the new passport?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by CL87
Slightly similar question:
Passport expires in late January. I plan to apply for a new passport in early December. I presume they will cancel my passport when they receive the application and the old passport in December but may not issue the new passport until a few days later.

Will this affect my NEXUS card? Or should I try to time the passport application so that I will not be using my NEXUS card during the passport renewal process and then update GOES when I receive the new passport?
How would you be travelling? If by air, you'd need to have your passport anyway. If by land, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Any time I've asked about documents at the NEXUS office at YYZ, they always just say to come in and update my documents as soon as I can.

FWIW, I was using NEXUS over a year without actually having my passport information on file (by no fault of my own). Never had an issue.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:31 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by xero9
FWIW, I was using NEXUS over a year without actually having my passport information on file (by no fault of my own). Never had an issue.
I did 3 years with an "expired" passport as I didn't go into the Canadian office to update it. No issues, although when I finally went in they said I'd had a note on my file about it.

Never once been pulled aside at Canadian or US customs, though.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: as,ac,ua,spg
Can anyone tell me why there are 2 sets of numbers (9 digit ) on the back of the nexus card.
pass ID is for KTN fields correct ? When do we use the second or ICS number ?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
Originally Posted by Djmanu
Does it work also with foreign passports (non US-Canada) for Canadian Permanent Residents ?
Yes, it does. I am a German citizen and Canadian PR (Nexus member), never had an issue using my German passport in the GE machines.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA GFL. AA EXP. Amex Plat. Mucci.
Necessary to Update I94 each time?

My wife and I have just been given a stern warning by CBP. We are both British Citizens resident in Canada (permanent residents). We both have Nexus, and we travel regularly (land and air) to the USA. Each time we use a Global Entry Machine (i.e. weekly) it spits out a new I94; CBP told us today that each time we get a new I94 (whether at a land border or a Global Entry Machine) we MUST update our GOES profile at a Nexus Office. If this is the case it would render Nexus useless for us, as we travel weekly and get a new I94 each week. We live in Canada, so we don't have a US Visa, we just travel to the US each week for a day or so on a business trip.

Does anyone have an answer, as each time we speak to the CPB they tell us something different.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by themax
My wife and I have just been given a stern warning by CBP. We are both British Citizens resident in Canada (permanent residents)
If you travel regularly to the USA I would get yourselves on the Canadian citizenship track as fast as you can (assuming you're not already).
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: Nexus, Global Entry
My wife and I have just been given a stern warning by CBP. We are both British Citizens resident in Canada (permanent residents). We both have Nexus, and we travel regularly (land and air) to the USA. Each time we use a Global Entry Machine (i.e. weekly) it spits out a new I94; CBP told us today that each time we get a new I94 (whether at a land border or a Global Entry Machine) we MUST update our GOES profile at a Nexus Office. If this is the case it would render Nexus useless for us, as we travel weekly and get a new I94 each week. We live in Canada, so we don't have a US Visa, we just travel to the US each week for a day or so on a business trip.

Does anyone have an answer, as each time we speak to the CPB they tell us something different.

Thanks in advance.
I remember this was the case for me when I was a foreign passport holder and Canadian permanent resident. Each time I got a new I-94 I had to go into a Nexus office to get it entered into the system. However, my I-94s were valid for 6 months at a time, and the rules stated that I could keep the I-94 in my passport when leaving the US. So I only needed to go into a Nexus office once every 6 months.

It sounds like you are handing back your I-94s at the end of each US visit. Why are you doing that? Did someone instruct you to do so?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by ssconfiguration
I remember this was the case for me when I was a foreign passport holder and Canadian permanent resident. Each time I got a new I-94 I had to go into a Nexus office to get it entered into the system. However, my I-94s were valid for 6 months at a time, and the rules stated that I could keep the I-94 in my passport when leaving the US. So I only needed to go into a Nexus office once every 6 months.

It sounds like you are handing back your I-94s at the end of each US visit. Why are you doing that? Did someone instruct you to do so?
SS - thanks for your reply. No, we are not handing back the I94's, it's just that each time we use the Global Entry machine (i.e. once a week at Montreal Airport US Pre-Clear) it automatically spits out a new I94.

Surely it can't be right to register the I94 each week?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA blue
Originally Posted by FlashEngineer
I just booked an interview at the Toronto temporary location at 2935 Convair Dr. Does this place have IRIS?
The website will tell you if it has Iris.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:33 pm

This has to be the worst process.

I went in for my interview, 3 weeks later, no card. I call the office in niagara falls and they tell me the card has not been marked as active/printed. They advised me to call the place where I was interviewed (GTA) and provided me the number. I've left several messages and no one is getting back to me. I called back the office in niagara falls and they gave me the supervisors numbers. US supervisors mailbox is full and I've left a message on the Canadian supervisors voicemail.

Any advice people?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:30 am

SS - thanks for your reply. No, we are not handing back the I94's, it's just that each time we use the Global Entry machine (i.e. once a week at Montreal Airport US Pre-Clear) it automatically spits out a new I94.

Surely it can't be right to register the I94 each week?
I see, this must just be the process that the Global Entry machines use. Back in the day when I had to deal with I-94s (3 or 4 years ago), the Nexus machines did not spit out any I-94. So I could keep using my registered I-94.

It still remains the case that any I-94 you are given should have validity period of at least 3 months on it, and possibly 6, depending on your nationality. Once you register that I-94 with the Nexus people, you should be able to travel repeatedly with it, ignoring any new I-94s that the GE machines spit out. You should of course confirm this next time you go into a Nexus office, rather than take my word for it. If you want to be safe, carry not just the registered I-94 but also the most recent one that the machine gave you, on each visit.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:59 am

By the way, themax, something just occurred to me that seems confusing.
You say that you get a new I-94 each time you use a Global Entry machine, which presumably happens in the US preclearance area at a Canadian airport. Once you get the I94, you are cleared to enter, and you walk airside. There is no access to a Nexus office at that point, nor is there anywhere in the US (where you are traveling to) except at land crossing. The next time you will have the opportunity to visit a Nexus office will be when you return to Canada, at which point the I-94 is already useless because you will get a new one on your next trip.

What am I missing? At what point did you encounter this CBP officer and his admonition?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:37 pm

What am I missing? At what point did you encounter this CBP officer and his admonition?
Pure speculation, but the only interaction he would likely be having would be after using the GE kiosk when handing in the receipt to the CBP officer. I'm not familiar with this I92 business, but is themax handing his receipt and I92 to CBP? Are you even supposed to give them it? If not, perhaps placing it in your pocket before leaving the GE kiosk would bypass the issue.
Again, pure speculation.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 4:01 pm

By the way, themax, something just occurred to me that seems confusing.
You say that you get a new I-94 each time you use a Global Entry machine, which presumably happens in the US preclearance area at a Canadian airport. Once you get the I94, you are cleared to enter, and you walk airside. There is no access to a Nexus office at that point, nor is there anywhere in the US (where you are traveling to) except at land crossing. The next time you will have the opportunity to visit a Nexus office will be when you return to Canada, at which point the I-94 is already useless because you will get a new one on your next trip.

I encountered this new problem at a land crossing last week, using a Nexus lane. The CBP officer told us that we had not registered our I94's (i.e. the most recent one that the machine spat out at the airport pre-clear a few days before) at a Nexus office and we were in violation of the Nexus program. He held us at the border for 2 hours whilst they discussed revoking Nexus from us (eventually we were released and told that the Nexus Supervisor had allowed us to keep the card, but we had been given "strikes"). This is all despite the fact that we had crossed at the same Nexus lane well over 20 times before without any trouble.

We just don't know what is right and what is wrong, and there doesn't seem to be any guidance anywhere that says what is right!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.