Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Absolute
Oh believe me, I thought (and did) the same thing - online only - when I renewed in 2012. It was only when I went into a Nexus office that they pulled out a sheet of violations, highlighted the "updated document" line, and asked me whether or not I signed an agreement to abide by them when I joined the program.

They put me through a big ringer, with a "violation" note in my file since 2012... and made me feel I was lucky they didn't pull my NEXUS membership on the spot.

I don't want anyone else to go through that!
Can a copy of the data page be sent to a NEXUS office via email or fax?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by chicu1981
NOT TRUE. You can change passport and DL info online on GOES.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...nnees-eng.html

Updates to personal informationNEXUS members can access the Global Online Enrollment System (GOES) to update address changes and passport information that is already on file.
What does that actually mean though? If your passport has expired, how can you update the information on file when they do not have your new passport information on file?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:03 am

Change it online and go to the office to change it as well.

Originally Posted by blondee_yvr
What does that actually mean though? If your passport has expired, how can you update the information on file when they do not have your new passport information on file?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:17 pm

Change it online and go to the office to change it as well.
Duplication of work? I love it
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
Originally Posted by Chiro1979
I have a question regarding the NEXUS application. I was telling my friend about the benefits of NEXUS, and they started the application, however, one of the questions asked about previous customs issues. They did have an issue with not declaring items once while entering Canada, and were charged a penalty which they paid. This incident was over twenty years ago, and they have since crossed the border hundreds of times with no issues. They have no intention about lying about this incident, and would answer yes on the application and would be happy to explain the situation. My question is, do you think this would prevent them from getting approved in the first place, or is this a situation where they would be able to explain the situation in the interview? The reason I ask is that they don't want to bother filling out the lengthy application if they going to be denied anyways. If any of you have any experience with this type of situation and applying for NEXUS and can help out, I would appreciate it. Thank you.
Just to follow up, my friend did apply and had provided details of the violation on the application. They did receive conditional approval and have scheduled an interview. I will update after the interview is conducted.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Actually you can update:Passport
DL
Mailing address

on GOES. Problems is that When you update the Passport info, it only flows to the US authorities not the Canadian.
Yes, all correct as far as I have seen and been told. Which is why I always come into the office to update my a passport as soon as I can. Mind you, last time I updated my Canadian passport, the US side didn't remove the old one from GOES, so the old one is also still in the document list.

Originally Posted by blondee_yvr
Duplication of work? I love it
Government departments in either country hardly talk to each other, and you expect them to talk to departments of another country?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Yes, all correct as far as I have seen and been told. Which is why I always come into the office to update my a passport as soon as I can. Mind you, last time I updated my Canadian passport, the US side didn't remove the old one from GOES, so the old one is also still in the document list.
Exactly ^

We've beaten this to death. You absolutely have to go to the office when you're updating your passport. And even then there are no guarantees. I've gone in to update my DL and years later had a CBP officer chew me out for using Nexus with expired docs
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:16 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
For those applying for ABTC at YOW, their systems are now working. I had the dubious distinction of being their first interviewee, and after a driver error with the signature pad (which I've heard happened in YYZ and YUL too) and several calls, it's now storing signatures.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
My parents wanted to bring a sealed can of Tim Horton's ground coffee on vacation. If we use GE, does this need to be declared?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Reid
My parents wanted to bring a sealed can of Tim Horton's ground coffee on vacation. If we use GE, does this need to be declared?
Is it worth losing nexus over ...... coffee?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
Originally Posted by iMedic
Is it worth losing nexus over ...... coffee?
Of course not, I'm just trying to get some clarification. If its going to be an issue, I won't bring it. I did however find a CBP website which separated specified ground coffee as a food product, not a plant product.

http://hungary.usembassy.gov/travel_customs.html
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by trmbn65
When did you cross? The NEXUS lane is open going into the US M-F 7am to 8pm while only M-F 3pm to 4pm going into Canada.

Source: http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/list.../#.U779KZRdX1Y
Outbound to Canada was around 8pm and return to the US was around 9:30pm, so it looks like I missed it. I didn't even see signs, though, even for one of the closed lanes, so maybe they put out portable signs during open hours...

Separate question: how do you tell if/when your card was printed and mailed? People are mentioning on this thread that they're seeing notices that the card was printed on GOES. It's been too long since I did my application to remember how mine worked. We're hoping to receive my family member's card before we need to cross a busy border checkpoint in the middle of next month, but I can't find any indication whether it was mailed, and our mutual family member back home (and who will forward it) claims nothing's come yet...
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Reid
Of course not, I'm just trying to get some clarification. If its going to be an issue, I won't bring it. I did however find a CBP website which separated specified ground coffee as a food product, not a plant product.

http://hungary.usembassy.gov/travel_customs.html
Into the US, it doesn't really matter if its a plant or food - either way, you have to declare it (though I would have hypothesized that it was considered food, anyway). Don't forget - the question on items you are bringing in changed a few months ago, and the more generic "food" was brought back to the GE kiosk's - similar to how it has always been on the paper declaration.

IMO, coffee is not going to be an "issue" per say, just means you might need a few extra minutes for them to look at it. Last time I had to declare food at pre-clearance (chocolate) - the agent overseeing the machines saw the X when I took my receipt, brought me to the booth closest to the machines, asked what I had, scanned my passport, and then stamped the receipt and I was good to go. This at YYZ. It took maybe 30 extra seconds. I even asked if he wanted to see the box, he said he didn't - he wasn't worried since I declared it. Never even went into secondary (and even there, since Nexus/GE, I've never taken more than 5 - 10 minutes, including waiting).
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:33 am

Earlier this month I went to LAS and brought some K-Cups with me (hotel has a Keurig machine, so why not!). I knew it wouldn't be an issue, but I checked off food items (or what ever the option is on the GE machine). When I handed the receipt to the officer he just asked what I had. Told him coffee and he sent me on my way. Better safe than sorry!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:57 pm

This is all I remember, and I've always checked "food item" because we carry baby food

"Every food EXCEPT gum is food", so if you only carry gum, then you dont' have to claim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.