Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Easy Sentri - Global Entry 3rd party Scam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: sad kettle

I advised a relative of mine who recently got the Chase Reserve card to sign up for Global Entry, and get the $100 fee reimbursed

I grossly overestimated their computer skills, as they typed in "Global Entry" into Google and "signed up" through the 1st thing that came up, a website (through google ad) EasySentri.com, which I've never heard of and can't find any corroborating info on, aside from an old Facebook page that hasn't been updated, and an inactive FT account. This screams scam.

I feel sick to my stomach now, since I guess I could have helped them do it myself and avoided all this. Any advice?
It's too early to do a chargeback since it hasn't posted yet, there is no customer service # (of course!), and according to whois.com, the website registration is private.

I'm thinking next steps: credit reporting fraud alert? cancel credit card?
Any advice on what else to do? Can I report this to Google or some government agency (a la IRS scams?)? Thanks in advance
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:03 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Couple of ideas

I don't know what card they used but I know AmEx has a service where you can asked to be informed when I charge posts so that you can challenge it. If your relative has a similar service on their credit card they might do that.

I would also have them contact their credit card issuer to see what steps they advise taking on a charge they are concerned is fraudulent. Did they actually send passport information etc. through the easy sentri site? If so they might be able to make a case to their credit card issuer that this was a scam. The issuer may recommend canceling the card themselves.

Even if your card is canceled, in my experience charges will sometimes go through anyway. So I'd ask them (or you) to be vigilant as to when it posts.

It looks like the domain registration isn't even current so that would be another piece of information to give to the credit card issuer to be able to do a chargeback or a card cancellation.

According to easy sentri's terms of service, you're eligible for a refund of all charges within 12 hours. I doubt it's been that short of time but your relative could certainly try and ask.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Horchata
I advised a relative of mine who recently got the Chase Reserve card to sign up for Global Entry, and get the $100 fee reimbursed

I grossly overestimated their computer skills, as they typed in "Global Entry" into Google and "signed up" through the 1st thing that came up, a website (through google ad) EasySentri.com, which I've never heard of and can't find any corroborating info on, aside from an old Facebook page that hasn't been updated, and an inactive FT account. This screams scam.

I feel sick to my stomach now, since I guess I could have helped them do it myself and avoided all this. Any advice?
It's too early to do a chargeback since it hasn't posted yet, there is no customer service # (of course!), and according to whois.com, the website registration is private.

I'm thinking next steps: credit reporting fraud alert? cancel credit card?
Any advice on what else to do? Can I report this to Google or some government agency (a la IRS scams?)? Thanks in advance
Below is what I see, 1st line, after typing in "Global Entry". I never click on "ad", I always scroll down and choose entry that is official website.

Maybe you can report it to google. Please let us know the end result so others will not be tricked by this website.

Global Entry Application - Online Approval - easysentri.com‎
Ad www.easysentri.com/‎
2 Minute Online Form - 100% Secure - Free TSA Precheck Included!
SENTRI included · Save time - One page form · 100% Refundable, any time
Types: Global Entry New, Global Entry Renewals, SENTRI New, SENTRI Renewals, NEXUS, TSA PreCheck
Global Entry Application
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: sad kettle
Yeah, they sent all the information through. I never would have clicked "ad" either, but just goes to show how easy it is to prey on the unsuspecting.

Thanks for the heads up on the charges going through on cancelled credit cards...I actually never knew that! Definitely will f/u with Chase
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Horchata
Yeah, they sent all the information through.
In that case, I'd be more concerned about identity theft. Have them contact the major credit reporting bureaus and place a fraud alert/credit freeze ASAP.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
In that case, I'd be more concerned about identity theft. Have them contact the major credit reporting bureaus and place a fraud alert/credit freeze ASAP.
Actually, I think it's probably not that evil. I looked over the website, it looks more like one of these scumbags that charge you a bunch of money for submitting an application that you could perfectly well submit yourself. Probably just a $89 lesson in paying attention.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, worry about identity theft. Your relative doesn't need to cancel the account, but the issuer will issue a new card with a new number on the account. It will also review all pending charges with the relative and not honor any further charges to the old card number. This makes the card information useless. Getting this done is common and easy.

Second, have a credit freeze placed on relative with all three CRA's. Also routine.

Third, if the charge does show up, that is when the relative can dispute it.

Fourth, notify the FTC. If enough people complain, it may do something.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Actually, I think it's probably not that evil. I looked over the website, it looks more like one of these scumbags that charge you a bunch of money for submitting an application that you could perfectly well submit yourself. Probably just a $89 lesson in paying attention.
That's my bet as well.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Sort of like some of those visa and/or passport issuing facilitators whose services really may be a waste of money for some of their customers?

I'm curious if the OP's relative was provided any GOES login info by the company after having paid the company for filing for GE.

The site says "Full Refund of all your fees (Our’s and CBP’s) if denied". If the company is filing for customers for GE, that $89 charge and the representation of fee refundabilty is part of an interesting "business model".

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 19, 2017 at 12:02 am
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:56 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
As I am over cautious with most things

Originally Posted by Often1
First, worry about identity theft. Your relative doesn't need to cancel the account, but the issuer will issue a new card with a new number on the account. It will also review all pending charges with the relative and not honor any further charges to the old card number. This makes the card information useless. Getting this done is common and easy.

Second, have a credit freeze placed on relative with all three CRA's. Also routine.

Third, if the charge does show up, that is when the relative can dispute it.

Fourth, notify the FTC. If enough people complain, it may do something.
I'd probably follow the above advice especially having given PP info to an unknown 3 rd party.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Sort of like some of those visa and/or passport issuing facilitators whose services really may be a waste of money for some of their customers?
The nervous nellies that need the hand-holding aren't the ones that should be getting trusted traveler cards in the first place.

The site says "Full Refund of all your fees (Our’s and CBP’s) if denied". If the company is filing for customers for GE, that $89 charge and the representation of fee refundabilty is part of an interesting "business model".
I just realized--maybe it's $189 for them + $100 for GE rather than just $189 total.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:51 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In many cases sites which seem legit aren't, using VIRTUAL acct#s might provide added protection.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:53 pm
Suspended

The nervous nellies that need the hand-holding aren't the ones that should be getting trusted traveler cards in the first place.

I just realized--maybe it's $189 for them + $100 for GE rather than just $189 total.
The company says its customers get a full refund of the company's fee + CBP's fee if denied.

GE applicants's fees paid to DHS/CBP as part of seeking to get GE aren't ordinarily refunded to applicants who fail to get approved for GE membership, right? Is DHS/CBP giving this company a special deal to allow for the DHS/CBP fee to be refundable? I sort of doubt it.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The company says its customers get a full refund of the company's fee + CBP's fee if denied.

GE applicants's fees paid to DHS/CBP as part of seeking to get GE aren't ordinarily refunded to applicants who fail to get approved for GE membership, right? Is DHS/CBP giving this company a special deal to allow for the DHS/CBP fee to be refundable? I sort of doubt it.
I think they're refunding out of their own pocket. So long as the acceptance rate is high enough they could afford to do so.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:44 pm
Suspended

I think they're refunding out of their own pocket. So long as the acceptance rate is high enough they could afford to do so.
That is what I was considering when I commented earlier about their interesting "business model".

Potential GE applicants with a previously higher (and/or currently higher) than average likelihood of being denied GE may find themselves saving some money if applying this way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.