Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Old May 11, 2017, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by jerrywu
I can't answer you the duration of premilinary inspection process, but browsing earlier posts from others, it suggested less than 10 days was required. Hope that you do get it done during your visit to Japan.

By the way, did you receive an e-mail informing of stage change from "Application Received" to "Under Preliminary Inspection"? Or, do you have to login to check application status?
no email. I just noticed it by logging in every few days
Old May 15, 2017, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by xzjn9p
I'm now in preliminary inspection (previously application received stage). How long does it usually take after preliminary inspection starts? I'm in Japan the next 2 weeks. Hopefully it'll be done while I'm there.
Mine has been in preliminary for over 3 weeks now on Application #500x . I'm headed to Japan this week, so hopefully they approve it soon!
Old May 18, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: AMEX
Here is another data point:

Application: 592x
Applied: 05/09

05/26 Update

06/06 Update
Status: Preliminary inspection complete; Secondary inspection

06/10: Update
Completed secondary inspection at NRT T1 2F. Super quick process, took less than 5mins to have the card issued. They didn't even ask for copies of my submitted documents. Just had to show them my US Passport and GE card. Submit 2200円 of 収入印紙. Two index finger prints and E-photo. Passport is amended to allow the use of automatic gates.

Tried using it to exit NRT. Totally hassle free and as simple as E-Channel in Hong Kong. The automated disembarkation process took less than 40seconds.

Last edited by sutekidane; Jun 10, 2017 at 5:44 pm Reason: Completed Registration.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:32 am

Datapoint:

Application 46xx
Applied 1/20
Preliminary inspection complete 3/28
Secondary inspection and card issued 5/31

---

I was planning on finishing my secondary inspection at arrival. My inbound flight to NRT arrived at 3:20pm on a weekday, so it seemed like there should have been plenty of time to use the landside TTP desk at Terminal 1. However that did not work out for a couple reasons. I ended up finishing the secondary inspection before my outbound flight. Entire process took 25 minutes.

1) The landside TTP desk closes at 4pm, not the published 5pm.
2) Konbinis all throughout T1 do not sell revenue stamps. If you are looking for revenue stamps at T1 landside, go to the post office on the 4th floor.
3) I didn't realize until I arrived that the TTP website and emails did not actually indicate where the landside TTP desk is. When landside find one of the escalators and go to the second floor. The TTP desk is right next to the airbridge to the parking garage.

Edit: also, at least at NRT the TTP card can also be used at departure immigration. Generally I've found this line to be very mild, but you can possibly cut a few minutes by using the TTP card. Procedure: insert passport bio page into passport scanner, tap TTP card on NFC reader, give registered index fingerprints.

Last edited by jashsu; May 31, 2017 at 12:36 am Reason: Adding addtl info
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:48 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by immaculate
Just returned from my trip to Japan having not heard a peep from the TTP. Got an email yesterday saying that my application was inapplicable with no explanation/remediation options. I followed the directions I found here and am a current NEXUS/Global Entry participant. I also have ABTC/APEC.

"Result of the preliminary inspection:Registration inapplicable"

Oh well, guess I will stick to ABTC/APEC.

edit to add: initial application on 11/3, email saying "no" on 11/28
Same thing happened to me. Applied on 05/20, got my "Registration Inapplicable" on 06/02. Oh well.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:19 pm

It takes longer by the day.

Originally Posted by jerrywu
I can't answer you the duration of premilinary inspection process, but browsing earlier posts from others, it suggested less than 10 days was required. Hope that you do get it done during your visit to Japan.

By the way, did you receive an e-mail informing of stage change from "Application Received" to "Under Preliminary Inspection"? Or, do you have to login to check application status?
Data point:
Applied: 03/16
Preliminary inspection completed: 06/06

* Preliminary inspection takes 25 days.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Data point:

Applied: May 21st
Prelim Inspection complete: Jun 16.

The prelim inspection is speeding up. Got an actual email notification.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:46 am

I applied at the beginning of March, with a trip scheduled for the last two weeks of May. I left Japan on June 1, and got my confirmation e-mail on June 5. Will not be back until next February, which is well beyond the 3 months I have to return. I am happy hear that they are getting faster now, but that does me absolutely no good. They really need to give more precise processing times if they provide such a short window for verification. It would be nice if I could just go to a consulate or embassy, but that would be too convenient.

Now I get to throw away my application and my obscenely expensive photos that were cut to the obscure size required for this waste of my time and sanity. Japanese efficiency does not exist when it comes to anything related to their airports.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by ginoa724
I saw something about using the automated gates on the JR website for getting a rail pass. Their website was explicit - You must have a sticker in your passport for your exchange order to be honoured.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass_t/index.html
Has anyone tried to exchange a JR visitor rail pass with the TTP card or get a visitor sticker after using the automated gates? I also tend to do some tax free shopping and sales people definitely look for the visitor stamp.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
Has anyone tried to exchange a JR visitor rail pass with the TTP card or get a visitor sticker after using the automated gates? I also tend to do some tax free shopping and sales people definitely look for the visitor stamp.
90 day entry permits are printed on the back of the TTP card. In the last page a forum member said duty free accepted this as proof.

The mechine doesn't spit out the sticker to affix to your passport, but no worries about tax free purchase because when you using the TTP card entry Japan the machine will print the arrival date on the back side on the TTP card, thus you can show the Temporary visitor date on the TTP card instead of the stamp to get the tax free. I try already it work.
I don't think any TTP user has provided a datapoint about rail pass.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
momo48 upthread had success using it for tax free shopping. ^

ETA: should have refreshed before posting!
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:27 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Just be prepared the staffs will look at you like the animal at the zoo when you present the TTP card for tax free shopping. It caused lots of confusions (my entry stamp from a week ago didn't help, they almost use that info instead) and they asked me whole bunch of questions at Bic Camera couple of weeks ago (they wanted to know how to get the card ). And every time I went to the cashier they told me this is the first time they have seen this card. Some even had to call their office to check how to handle this Not sure what's going to happen if it's just a small store with no office to call

Until this become more well known, this will continue to be a hassle.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
Just be prepared the staffs will look at you like the animal at the zoo when you present the TTP card for tax free shopping. It caused lots of confusions (my entry stamp from a week ago didn't help, they almost use that info instead) and they asked me whole bunch of questions at Bic Camera couple of weeks ago (they wanted to know how to get the card ). And every time I went to the cashier they told me this is the first time they have seen this card. Some even had to call their office to check how to handle this Not sure what's going to happen if it's just a small store with no office to call

Until this become more well known, this will continue to be a hassle.
Agreed, japanese love to do things by the book.

Finally got mine but it was a hassle. Took forever and needed a copy of everything.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 1:05 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by HGHUA
Agreed, japanese love to do things by the book.

Finally got mine but it was a hassle. Took forever and needed a copy of everything.
Wait till you actually have to use the card. I was flying to HND and ended up being the very last person on the flight to get through immigration. Everyone was long gone by the time I finally passed through the gate. Apparently checking Others on your arrival form and put transit as the purpose of your visit would result in error. Took the officers forever to figure it out and they had to flip through the TTP manual.

The sad part was there's absolutely no wait at the normal line
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Hyatt Globalist
I've used this about 10 times now and at least half of the time it ends up being faster to use the normal queue. The only reason I don't just go back to using my ABTC card is that I don't want to waste passport pages on the silly stickers they use in the normal queue,

Half the time the Windows-based kiosk software crashes and they have to restart it, or the single machine they have dedicated to non-Japanese is not working for some reason.

Every time I complain and ask why they only have one machine that TTP users can use (out of the 4 they usually have). The answer is usually along the lines of "ohhh.... TTP sukunai ne" (e.g. there's really nobody that uses this). I've even filled out those forms at the Suggestion Box they have nearby the immigration area at NRT. Of course, nothing...

Tax free shopping... that's a joy. It takes a couple of phone calls usually at BIC camera for them to figure it out, especially if you don't bring along your passport. I've always eventually had success with it though every time.

One positive: the card works great for ID purposes. Nightclubs, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.