Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Old Dec 26, 2016, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Hyatt Globalist
I also finally passed the preliminary inspection. Mine was also about 6 weeks.

mzx, thanks for the above list. I was wondering about the "original documents" and what all that would entail.

Won't have a chance to register in Japan for another few weeks, but happy that the waiting game is over!
Old Dec 30, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
For those who have been approved, did you get an email or notification when the application status changed from reception to preliminary inspection?

Getting to about two weeks before my next trip to Japan and starting to wonder if I'll make it before then. I don't have another trip scheduled in the next couple of months so would have to reapply later. Hopefully there isn't a penalty for not completing the secondary inspection within the 3 month timeframe.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:52 am
mzx

Email

Yes you get an email.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by SirSherlockHolmes
Also, at this point in time in the past 12 months I only have 1 entry into Japan, I still applied under the guise that when I go back to finalize this process, I will get my 2nd entry.
I don't believe this will be sufficient. Here's what the requirement in the application says:
Persons who have received landing permission at a Japanese airport or seaport at least two (2) times within the 12-month period prior to the day when they came to the designated registration counter to apply directly for user registration, or to undergo the secondary inspection following the online submission of an application.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by omarr
I don't believe this will be sufficient. Here's what the requirement in the application says:
Persons who have received landing permission at a Japanese airport or seaport at least two (2) times within the 12-month period prior to the day when they came to the designated registration counter to apply directly for user registration, or to undergo the secondary inspection following the online submission of an application.
How do you figure? SirSherlockHolmes has one entry (landing permission) already. He applies online, his preliminary inspection is approved. He then returns to Japan to undergo the secondary inspection and receives his second entry (landing permission) within 12 months.

As long as he doesn't do the secondary inspection the same day as his entry, he will have received landing permission at least twice prior to the day where he went to the designated registration counter to undergo the secondary inspection.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
How do you figure? SirSherlockHolmes has one entry (landing permission) already. He applies online, his preliminary inspection is approved. He then returns to Japan to undergo the secondary inspection and receives his second entry (landing permission) within 12 months.

As long as he doesn't do the secondary inspection the same day as his entry, he will have received landing permission at least twice prior to the day where he went to the designated registration counter to undergo the secondary inspection.
You're right. I was operating on the assumption that he meant the same day.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by omarr
You're right. I was operating on the assumption that he meant the same day.
Ah, I'm following you now! Yeah, rules out a MR/quick turn to get it done on a second visit.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
M partner's application status has changed to "Preliminary inspection complete" on 1/5/17.
He applied online on 11/5/16 (Application #: 18XX), so it took two months.
He has a NEXUS membership not Global Entry by the way.
It seems he doesn't need to provide the original facial photograph anymore since they use the jpeg photo he submitted with his online application but he will bring one anyway just in case.
He can buy 2,200 yen revenue stamp at the post office at NRT airport before his secondary inspection in advance. It's not 100% guaranteed that he passes the secondary but the staff told him to buy the revenue stamp in advance, so it sounds 99% guaranteed.
He will go back to Japan next week.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:59 am

Two months? Geez. Has anyone applying via GE experienced a shorter time for preliminary inspection complete?

Edit: missed Kaix's datapoint above. Six weeks isn't that much better but still, encouraging to some degree.

Last edited by jashsu; Jan 19, 2017 at 7:00 am
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:13 am

Hello everybody, I'm doing CDROM in this forum very long time and this is the first time to reply. I've apply the TTP application at 11 Nov 16 and completed the preliminary inspection at 18 Jan 17. Reviewed previous reply some body confusing the 2200 yen stamp need to be bought inside the security/immigration, now I tell everyone the TTP office is located at T1 2nd floor and T2 3rd floor, therefore, don't worry about the stamp where can buy inside the immigration. Another thing is if you fail to complete the TTP second preliminary at Terminal 2 whether computer fault or any human error you can go to the Terminal 1 to try. One more thing is the TTP office is closed at 16:00. The information is for NRT airport.

Last edited by momo48; Jan 22, 2017 at 12:00 am
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
From the official Information Guide:

This is a bit confusing to me. Although the wording is somewhat contradictory, it appears that you can't complete registration and get your card without submitting a fee payment slip with a 2200 yen tax stamp affixed to it. And, the tax stamps are not available in the registration area or anywhere else in the immigration area (and I don't think anywhere in the arrivals area of the airport pre-immigration).

So, if you're overseas when you apply, and plan to complete registration at the airport upon your next arrival, you can't actually do so unless you somehow get a hold of a 2200 yen revenue stamp (such as by having someone in Japan purchase one for you and send it to you). I suppose you could complete the secondary inspection process upon arrival, and if approved, not actually get your card at that point, then go to the post office or combini landside to buy your tax stamp and then go to another office (landside in the airport, or in town?) to submit the tax stamp and get your card.

This seems very convoluted. Does anyone have more specific information about this part of the process? I understand that just taking cash or credit card payment by a gov't agency and requiring a tax stamp is a very Japanese way of doing things, but so would be having a vending machine in the sign-up office that sold such tax stamps, no?

Also, never having purchased a tax stamp before, is it as simple as getting one in a 2200 yen denomination, or is it a specific one for this particular purpose that happens to cost 2200 yen?

No worry about the tax stamp, the TTP office is located at T1 2nd floor and T2 3rd floor, therefore, you can buy the stamp at 7-11.

Last edited by momo48; Jan 22, 2017 at 12:01 am
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:26 am

Finally my partner was able to get his card at HND yesterday.
Long story short, it wasn't easy to get his secondary inspection, but he got his card.

1. The staff at the TTP desk didn't really speak English.
He called me for help from HND and I had to speak to the staff in Japanese from California...

2. They were all polite, but it seemed they hadn't done that at HND before. They didn't know what they were doing... All 5 of them the entire office worked on his case in front of their computer and were reading manuals, so unprepared

He went to the TTP desk next to A counter first, and he was told their machine was broken and they couldn't process his secondary inspection there. The staff even told him to go to NRT! That was in sane, LOL. I asked the staff in Japanese over the phone if my partner could try at the TTP desk in the departure inspection area after security. The staff was checking something and told me they couldn't process there either. BUT the way how he told me that in Japanese was so vague and I thought he didn't really know, so I asked the staff again if my partner should go there and ask, and he said yes

Anyway my partner already had total 2,200 yen revenue stamps, so he went through the security and then stopped by the TTP desk there.
They didn't really know how to process the secondary inspection, so all 5 staff in the office were in front of computer and reading the manuals. My partner said that was sooo funny. He submitted the original document (NEXUS card, declaration form) and 2,200 yen revenue stamps and then waited for a long time. He even had to show the staff the TTP site to prove that he passed the first inspection. Finally they took his face photo and finger prints. He was taken his face photo, but it wasn't for his card, by the way. The whole process was like 40 minutes he said.

P.S. He hates the ugly pink card, LOL
Attached Images  
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
Finally my partner was able to get his card at HND yesterday.
Long story short, it wasn't easy to get his secondary inspection, but he got his card.

1. The staff at the TTP desk didn't really speak English.
He called me for help from HND and I had to speak to the staff in Japanese from California...

2. They were all polite, but it seemed they hadn't done that at HND before. They didn't know what they were doing... All 5 of them the entire office worked on his case in front of their computer and were reading manuals, so unprepared

He went to the TTP desk next to A counter first, and he was told their machine was broken and they couldn't process his secondary inspection there. The staff even told him to go to NRT! That was in sane, LOL. I asked the staff in Japanese over the phone if my partner could try at the TTP desk in the departure inspection area after security. The staff was checking something and told me they couldn't process there either. BUT the way how he told me that in Japanese was so vague and I thought he didn't really know, so I asked the staff again if my partner should go there and ask, and he said yes

Anyway my partner already had total 2,200 yen revenue stamps, so he went through the security and then stopped by the TTP desk there.
They didn't really know how to process the secondary inspection, so all 5 staff in the office were in front of computer and reading the manuals. My partner said that was sooo funny. He submitted the original document (NEXUS card, declaration form) and 2,200 yen revenue stamps and then waited for a long time. He even had to show the staff the TTP site to prove that he passed the first inspection. Finally they took his face photo and finger prints. He was taken his face photo, but it wasn't for his card, by the way. The whole process was like 40 minutes he said.

P.S. He hates the ugly pink card, LOL
Is there more than one desk at HND? I got mine almost exactly a month ago and it wasn't quite that difficult. I speak some Japanese so it made it easier, but there were only two people working on my case, they seemed to know what they were doing except when it came to printing the card, when there was some fiddling to be done with the machine. Had to leave the desk a grand total of twice:

1. 2200 yen revenue stamps. 7-Eleven sells them (no credit card accepted). I ended up buying 11x 200 yen stamps.

2. Photocopies of the documents submitted. NEXUS card front and back, passport cover and ID page.

The annoying thing was when I tried entering the country again at KIX a couple of weeks later, it didn't work. The machine read my barcode, I inserted my card, it spat it back out at me. This happened over and over as more and more people came over to the gate I was using to try and figure out what went wrong. The gate itself was rebooted multiple times. I eventually had to enter the "regular" way and no one could explain what happened. On the way out, I tried using the gate again to exit at NRT, after a few conversations with the office there to see if I could get the card replaced in case that was the issue. They told me maybe, but first try the card again on my way out of the country. It worked. So they have some bugs to iron out here.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
My own- applied 11/20, Application #32xx, and still in Application Reception. I submitted both my approval letter, front/back of Nexus card, & Declaration Form 13.
Preliminary inspection completed 2/2. Never received an email when the application changed from reception to undergoing preliminary inspection. Not sure I'll be back in the next 90 days so I guess I'll just let it sit for now.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by jamar
Is there more than one desk at HND? I got mine almost exactly a month ago and it wasn't quite that difficult. I speak some Japanese so it made it easier, but there were only two people working on my case, they seemed to know what they were doing except when it came to printing the card, when there was some fiddling to be done with the machine. Had to leave the desk a grand total of twice:

1. 2200 yen revenue stamps. 7-Eleven sells them (no credit card accepted). I ended up buying 11x 200 yen stamps.

2. Photocopies of the documents submitted. NEXUS card front and back, passport cover and ID page.

The annoying thing was when I tried entering the country again at KIX a couple of weeks later, it didn't work. The machine read my barcode, I inserted my card, it spat it back out at me. This happened over and over as more and more people came over to the gate I was using to try and figure out what went wrong. The gate itself was rebooted multiple times. I eventually had to enter the "regular" way and no one could explain what happened. On the way out, I tried using the gate again to exit at NRT, after a few conversations with the office there to see if I could get the card replaced in case that was the issue. They told me maybe, but first try the card again on my way out of the country. It worked. So they have some bugs to iron out here.
There is only one TTP desk before the security.

LOL, you got 11 stamps? Convenient stores such as 7-11 usually have only 200 yen stamps. You could have purchased one 2,000 yen and one 200 yen stamps at a post office.

After my partner got his card he tried to use the card, but he said it was impossible to do that by himself! The machine read his finger prints while it was reading his card at the same time. The problem was the reading glass was slanted and he had to hold his card by his hand, bad design.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.