Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus Alcohol Allowance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by chrisny2
This is interesting:

"CBP worked with the airport and Canadian Air Transport Security Authority, or CATSA, to realign the passenger screening process to place the CATSA preboarding screening before CBP’s screening. “The agencies signed an agreement that CATSA would meet U.S. TSA security standards,” said CBP Vancouver Preclearance Area Port Director Lee DeLoatch. “Then the airport could put duty-free shopping after the CBP inspection. The vendors agree that they will collect the duties and at the end of each month, they cut a check to the U.S. government for those.”"

https://www.cbp.gov/frontline/frontline-preclearance
Nice find. So rather than necessarily relying off your duty exemption, they're selling them with the cost of US duties built in. Guess that answers how this whole system works...
Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by phltraveler
Guess that answers how this whole system works...
... and the prices.

As to danib62's post on bottle sizes: trust me, I don't go for 750ml bottles (why buy wine when you're going to SoCal). Booze in the US is anywhere starting from 1.14 liter "regular" size to the handy 64oz with the handle built in - those can be name-brand as low as $18 for Members' Specials at supermarkets.

Either way, to get back OT, Nexus has no impact on alcohol allowances whether you go US-Can or Can-US.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:54 am

I crossed daily for a period of time. 1 case of beer if declared should not warrant any payments. I was sent inside one time. They told me to leave and did not charge me.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:26 am

For what it is worth, at my interview the other day, they told me a I shouldn't use the Nexus lane if I expect to pay duty, but it is fine to use if I'm within my allowance (and declare so).

Secondly, can someone clarify the limits returning with booze to the US. After 48hrs, it says 1 liter of alcohol. How does that work with beer? 1 strict liter, aka you would owe duty on a 6 pack? It looks like going the other way the limit for beer is a case, which is more comparable to a liter of hard stuff, but I can only find the 1 liter definition when returning stateside.

Also, for trips under 48 hours, the allowance is 150ml, effectively nothing. Is it still fine to buy more and declare it on short trips?

Last edited by Exitant; Aug 12, 2016 at 12:32 am
Old Aug 12, 2016, 12:01 pm

The IRT exemption is in fact "1 liter of alcoholic beverages" regardless of whether that's beer, wine or liquor. 19 CFR 148.33

Realistically, you're never going to get charged IRT on an amount of beer you can lift; the rate is $18 per barrel (31 gal), which works out to a little over 5c per can or bottle or $1.30 for a case. Even a full size keg is only $9 in IRT, and a lot of places won't bother with IRT or duty under $10.

There is no limit to the amount you're allowed to bring under Federal law, but if you enter a state with a limit, that limit is Federally enforceable.

As for the NEXUS lane, yeah, technically you're not supposed to use it if you have three beers in the car coming south. CBP is unlikely to have a problem with one case of beer, but you could--in theory--get busted for it. Beer's cheaper in the States anyway

Originally Posted by Exitant
Also, for trips under 48 hours, the allowance is 150ml, effectively nothing. Is it still fine to buy more and declare it on short trips?
I think that's the Canadian limit. The US tax-free limit is zero if you haven't been gone 48 hours. But you can still buy however much you want as long as you declare (and pay the IRT if asked to do so). At certain crossings it's worth it to buy liquor at the duty-free, make a U-turn and pay the IRT because you save the state tax.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Aug 12, 2016 at 12:10 pm
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:50 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Several recent posts about transiting with alcohol through US airports enroute to Canada were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.