Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

PreCheck name matching issues

PreCheck name matching issues

Old Jun 11, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: MileagePlus Club, Amex Platinum, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by CREN
Yes, just make sure your GOES Account/Global Entry name is EXACTLY the same as Boarding Pass.
As stated in my initial post, that was not my experience.

Global Entry seems to be an entirely different system than the PreCheck one. To get PreCheck, your boarding pass must match your PreCheck account, not your Global Entry account.

My GE account has full middle name, my PC account has only middle initial. I have to have only my MI on the BP or I do not get PC.

And yes, some airlines will make you submit a notarized form for a "name change" which is what they consider it when you go from MI to full name or vice versa.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Hi guys,

I just checked into my flight, and for this one, I was ticketed FirstMiddle Last, matching my Global Entry. My DL is First M Last. I successfully got Precheck, and I verified that it was a 3 code, not a 0 code.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dnwaldmann
As stated in my initial post, that was not my experience.

Global Entry seems to be an entirely different system than the PreCheck one. To get PreCheck, your boarding pass must match your PreCheck account, not your Global Entry account.

My GE account has full middle name, my PC account has only middle initial. I have to have only my MI on the BP or I do not get PC.

And yes, some airlines will make you submit a notarized form for a "name change" which is what they consider it when you go from MI to full name or vice versa.
You applied for both Pre-check ($85) and Global Entry ($100)? I don't know anyone who has both accounts.

I just make sure my secure flight data (Not all airlines print the full name on the boarding pass) matches your trusted traveler account data.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: MileagePlus Club, Amex Platinum, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by CDKing
You applied for both Pre-check ($85) and Global Entry ($100)? I don't know anyone who has both accounts.
Global Entry includes Pre-check, but they are two different and apparently unconnected systems.

Originally Posted by CDKing
I just make sure my secure flight data (Not all airlines print the full name on the boarding pass) matches your trusted traveler account data.
The point I was trying to convey is that since your GE account and your PC account do not need to match (mine don't), make sure that your ticket is generated to match the way your name is in PC, not GE.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dnwaldmann
Global Entry includes Pre-check, but they are two different and apparently unconnected systems.

The point I was trying to convey is that since your GE account and your PC account do not need to match (mine don't), make sure that your ticket is generated to match the way your name is in PC, not GE.
How do you know if your name does or does not match the PC database? Ive never seen one. Global Entry does not include Precheck. Precheck includes Global Entry members.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:06 pm
Company Representative, TSA

Names are very important with regard to KTN matching. However, we do allow some flexibility with the middle name (or initial), especially since sometimes the middle name could be merged in the first (or last) name fields. However, we prefer that the name match (first/middle/last) how you applied for your KTN. Whether that is our program (KTN starts with TT) or a CBP program (KTN starts with 98).

The biggest issue we have seen: DOB doesn't match the name, or the KTN was off by a digit or number.

I wrote this blog post a few weeks ago. Many travelers who receive their KTN just add it to their FF profile, and think they are all set. Each PNR must include the KTN, not just the profile. And the FF profile won't insert the KTN to reservations that are booked on third-party websites.

We have the ability to pull up the PNR, and see why a passenger did not receive TSA Precheck. If you don't receive TSA Precheck repeatedly, and you have a KTN, let me know.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TSAPressSec
Names are very important with regard to KTN matching. However, we do allow some flexibility with the middle name (or initial), especially since sometimes the middle name could be merged in the first (or last) name fields. However, we prefer that the name match (first/middle/last) how you applied for your KTN. Whether that is our program (KTN starts with TT) or a CBP program (KTN starts with 98).

The biggest issue we have seen: DOB doesn't match the name, or the KTN was off by a digit or number.

I wrote this blog post a few weeks ago. Many travelers who receive their KTN just add it to their FF profile, and think they are all set. Each PNR must include the KTN, not just the profile. And the FF profile won't insert the KTN to reservations that are booked on third-party websites.

We have the ability to pull up the PNR, and see why a passenger did not receive TSA Precheck. If you don't receive TSA Precheck repeatedly, and you have a KTN, let me know.
So sex doesn't matter as much? The reason I ask is that I've seen PNRs where the default element is left unchanged and this does not match what the passenger sex designation is on ID.

By the way, when will the Secure Flight sex data start incorporating the reality of some people being born or ending up intersex? M or F is not always an appropriate identifier and may not even be indicated on the ID. A growing number of countries have M F and X designators even on ID such as passports. Will the TSA push for change in this area of SecureFlight?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
So sex doesn't matter as much? The reason I ask is that I've seen PNRs where the default element is left unchanged and this does not match what the passenger sex designation is on ID.
I will have to check with our Secure Flight team, but yes, that does matter for TSA Precheck, along with DOB. However, I don't believe the airline can submit the PNR to Secure Flight without that data. Even international carriers will have to submit gender, for any/all flights that fly to/from/over the United States.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 4:45 pm
Suspended

I will have to check with our Secure Flight team, but yes, that does matter for TSA Precheck, along with DOB. However, I don't believe the airline can submit the PNR to Secure Flight without that data. Even international carriers will have to submit gender, for any/all flights that fly to/from/over the United States.
Yes, but when we have passengers who have passports that list the sex as X -- not M and not F -- doesn't it make sense to have Secure Flight set up to accept that not everyone is simply just male or female? Having just two options is a false choice for some people.

Since TSA drove the Secure Flight sex info field requirement, it can also drive a fix for this situation that leaves people out to make a mismatch between their ID and their Secure Flight info. Is this on the table at the TSA?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 4:56 pm

Since TSA drove the Secure Flight sex info field requirement, it can also drive a fix for this situation that leaves people out to make a mismatch between their ID and their Secure Flight info. Is this on the table at the TSA?
Not that I am aware of.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Not that I am aware of.
Well, I am sure you can try to make them aware that some countries issue passports with M F or X as options and more plan to do so.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 5:03 pm

Well, I am sure you can try to make them aware that some countries issue passports with M F or X as options and more plan to do so.
Would be happy to get more information from other officials within TSA.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:08 am

Space in last name causes issues?

My wife and I just got our Global Entry approval. While there, the agent pointed out that I have a space in my last name on my passport (due to a capital letter following) and updated my GOES account as such. They pointed out that I must change my name on every airline to match this or the known traveler ID won't work.

Changing your last name with airlines is rather tedious from what I can tell. And in one case the airline requires that your drivers' license match the name. However, in our state the drivers' license does not include the space.

My question out there for the other people who have a space in their last name, is this really an issue that needs to be addressed? Will it in fact prevent the program from working properly if we don't do this?
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by RTPGiants
My wife and I just got our Global Entry approval. While there, the agent pointed out that I have a space in my last name on my passport (due to a capital letter following) and updated my GOES account as such. They pointed out that I must change my name on every airline to match this or the known traveler ID won't work.

Changing your last name with airlines is rather tedious from what I can tell. And in one case the airline requires that your drivers' license match the name. However, in our state the drivers' license does not include the space.

My question out there for the other people who have a space in their last name, is this really an issue that needs to be addressed? Will it in fact prevent the program from working properly if we don't do this?
The CBP officer very likely did you a favor - no sense going through the GE process, only to not receive TSA pre-check privileges (the spelling/space issue is probably isolated to that particular program). It is tedious but your only path to follow. As for the airline requiring the exact DL match, you may have to use your passport for checking in with them?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Exact same thing happened to me last week while enrolling in TSA Pre-check. The agent noticed the space in my last name due to a capital letter. Even though I had pre-enrolled online without typing the space, she recommended that I include the space for purposes of TSA Pre-check. Just to be safe, I called up Southwest and United and had them change the last name on my account to include the space.

I received my KTN and just booked a flight for Labor Day weekend via Southwest. I'll report back if I have any issues.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.