Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Only with Participating Airlines [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2016, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
The following are the domestic and international TSA Pre✓® Participating Airlines:
  • Advanced Air
  • Aerolane Lineas Aereas Nacionales del Ecuador
  • AeroMexico
  • Air Canada
  • Air Europa
  • Air France
  • Air India
  • Air Premia
  • Air Serbia
  • Air Tahiti Nui
  • Air Transat
  • Alaska Airlines
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Allegiant Air
  • American Airlines
  • Aruba Airlines
  • Asiana Airlines
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avelo Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Airlines
  • Bahamasair
  • BermudAir
  • Boutique Airlines
  • Breeze Airways
  • British Airways
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Cape Air
  • Cathay Pacific Airways
  • Cayman Airways
  • China Airlines
  • Condor Airlines
  • Contour Aviation
  • Copa Airlines
  • Delta Air Lines
  • Eastern Airlines
  • Edelweiss Air
  • EL AL Israel
  • Emirates
  • Etihad Airways
  • Eurowings Discover
  • EVA Air
  • Fiji Airways
  • Finnair
  • Flair Airlines
  • Flycana
  • French bee
  • Frontier Airlines
  • Global Crossing Airlines
  • Hawaiian Airlines
  • iAero Airways
  • Iberia
  • Icelandair
  • InterCaribbean Airways
  • ITA Airways
  • Japan Airlines
  • JetBlue Airways
  • Key Lime Air
  • KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
  • Korean Air
  • La Compagnie
  • LAN Peru S.A.
  • LATAM Airlines
  • Lufthansa
  • New Pacific Airlines
  • Norse Atlantic Airways
  • Norwegian Air
  • Omni Air International
  • PAL Express
  • Philippine Airlines
  • Porter Airlines
  • Qantas
  • Qatar Airways
  • Scandinavian Airlines
  • Seaborne Airlines
  • Silver Airways
  • Singapore Airlines
  • Southern Airways Express
  • Southwest Airlines
  • Spirit Airlines
  • STARLUX Airlines
  • Sun Country Airlines
  • Sunwing Airlines
  • Swiss International Air Lines
  • Swoop
  • TAM-Linhas Aereas S.A.
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • Titan Airways
  • Turkish Airlines
  • Ultimate Jet Charters
  • United Airlines
  • Virgin Atlantic
  • Viva Air Colombia
  • VivaAerobus
  • Volaris
  • Volaris El Salvador
  • WestJet
  • World Atlantic
  • ZIPAIR
Print Wikipost

TSA PreCheck Only with Participating Airlines [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Section 107
What am I missing - I thought GE cards grant access to Pre-check lines no matter the airline?
To be precise, if you do not have "PreCheck" printed on your boarding pass, presenting a Global Entry card does not confer PreCheck privileges.

If you have your Global Entry number on your frequent flyer profile or on your specific reservation, you SHOULD get PreCheck. You can then use your Global Entry card as an acceptable form of ID at the checkpoint.

Finally, you only get PreCheck privileges when you're traveling on airlines participating in the PreCheck program. If you're flying carriers like Frontier or Spirit, you're out of luck. The exception, as Randyk47 notes, is random inclusion where you might randomly be pulled from the line to go into the PreCheck line. But again, having a GE card will not help you there.
Old May 13, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: NEXUS, Hilton - Gold, Fairmont - Plat, AA - Plat MM, DL - Gold, UA - Silver
Originally Posted by gobears293
When flying on an airline that is not set-up for Pre-Check (but at a terminal with a Pre-Check line), has anyone accessed the Pre-Check line by just showing their Global Entry/Trusted Traveler card?

I read on one of the many Boarding Area blogs about someone successfully doing this. Intrigued to hear if anyone on FlyerTalk has also attempted this move.

With the wide adoption of Pre-Check by all the airlines I fly at my usual airports, I don't anticipate having this need... So I'm mainly asking out of curiosity.
It worked for me a couple of years ago at KOA
Old May 13, 2015, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If your carrier does not participate in pre-check, your sole hope of pre-check is "random inclusion" and that has nothing to do with having a KTN.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: A3 *G, Hilton Diamond, Accor Silver
Last week booked an award ticket with UA miles flying Lufthansa out of Charlotte.

We have GE and have used Pre-Check several times. However, when we did OLCI and printed the boarding pass via LH, Pre-Check did not show.

We asked the agent at the counter in Charlotte if she could reprint the BP with Pre-Check and she said she could not.

We had our GE cards with us and showed them to TSA at the Pre-Check line and were told that the card did not matter and they only pass those with the Pre-Check printed on the BP.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 12:20 pm

Having a GE card or KTN should not get you into the TSA pre at the airport, the pre MUST be on the boarding pass. Even with a KTN there is supposed to be some randomness to selection so it's not a 100% guarantee that Pre will be granted although I am happy to say that hasn't happen to me ( yet ).
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by xichang08
Last week booked an award ticket with UA miles flying Lufthansa out of Charlotte.

We have GE and have used Pre-Check several times. However, when we did OLCI and printed the boarding pass via LH, Pre-Check did not show.

We asked the agent at the counter in Charlotte if she could reprint the BP with Pre-Check and she said she could not.

We had our GE cards with us and showed them to TSA at the Pre-Check line and were told that the card did not matter and they only pass those with the Pre-Check printed on the BP.
As LH is not a participating airline in PreCheck (currently only for US-based airlines and Air Canada), you will not get PreCheck on your boarding pass when flying on LH metal, regardless of your Global Entry or PreCheck program membership. Showing a GE card or PreCheck membership does not get you into the PreCheck line if you are flying a non-participating carrier. Your only hope in that case is random managed inclusion.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by gobears293
When flying on an airline that is not set-up for Pre-Check (but at a terminal with a Pre-Check line), has anyone accessed the Pre-Check line by just showing their Global Entry/Trusted Traveler card?
The PreCheck status is encoded in the barcode of the boarding pass, that's the only way you'll get PreCheck. Showing a GE card does nothing.

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
As LH is not a participating airline in PreCheck (currently only for US-based airlines and Air Canada), you will not get PreCheck on your boarding pass when flying on LH metal, regardless of your Global Entry or PreCheck program membership. Showing a GE card or PreCheck membership does not get you into the PreCheck line if you are flying a non-participating carrier. Your only hope in that case is random managed inclusion.
/\Case in point.

Last edited by LoganTSO; Jun 12, 2015 at 9:48 am Reason: Didn't know caret was a thumbs up
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:26 am

If anticipating long wait times in the regular security lines, one could always buy a refundable ticket from a participating PreCheck carrier, ethics aside.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To be precise, if you do not have "PreCheck" printed on your boarding pass, presenting a Global Entry card does not confer PreCheck privileges.

If you have your Global Entry number on your frequent flyer profile or on your specific reservation, you SHOULD get PreCheck. You can then use your Global Entry card as an acceptable form of ID at the checkpoint.

Finally, you only get PreCheck privileges when you're traveling on airlines participating in the PreCheck program. If you're flying carriers like Frontier or Spirit, you're out of luck. The exception, as Randyk47 notes, is random inclusion where you might randomly be pulled from the line to go into the PreCheck line. But again, having a GE card will not help you there.
The problem with using a GE card as one's photo ID is that most TSA employees don't know what it is.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The problem with using a GE card as one's photo ID is that most TSA employees don't know what it is.
I vaguely remember there was a case that a TSA agent did not recognize a Washington D.C. driver license. I would expect some agents may not know what a GE card is.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by anjeo
Having a GE card or KTN should not get you into the TSA pre at the airport, the pre MUST be on the boarding pass. Even with a KTN there is supposed to be some randomness to selection so it's not a 100% guarantee that Pre will be granted although I am happy to say that hasn't happen to me ( yet ).
Yes, with a KTN flying on a participating airline, it is very likely that the passenger can get TSA Pre on the BP, but no guarantee (happened to me before). There was also one occasion that my colleagues got through the non-TSA Pre line faster than me in the TSA Pre line (although I did not need to take off my shoes & my belt and remove my computer).
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:23 am

In one instance, the doc checker accepted the GE card, but made a big deal of it because she thought the picture didn't look like me. I offered her a different ID, but she refused it and called over a supervisor because she thought I was trying to pull a fast one.

The vast majority of the time, I have no issues with it, even in smaller stations. I can't recall a time in the last year and a half that it's been questioned, and that covers over 100 domestic flights. My experience only, but I'm guessing it was an issue when GE cards were still relatively new and maybe sometimes for less experienced doc checkers, but seems most are familiar with it now.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I have used my GE and NEXUS cards for ID at least 100 times in the past 18 months, at stations large and small and not always in a Precheck line. Not once has anyone commented on the ID, even with the GE picture that could have been Bigfoot or me with equal likelihood. (The current NEXUS picture is better.)
Old Jun 15, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Section 107
What am I missing - I thought GE cards grant access to Pre-check lines no matter the airline?
No.

Not printed on the BP, but it has to signal LLL/3 beeps. It just happens that the vast majority of those are now also printed with the PreCheck bit on the top.

Not printed on the BP, but what beeps.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Was recently told by an Officer at the IAD pre area, which is separate and a goodly distance from the ordinary checkpoint that he had not see a BP marked with Pre-Check which did not provide the 3 beeps in over 6 months. That's a busy checkpoint.

I'm not sure that the thing about not guaranteeing Pre-Check even to those with it printed on their BP is still an active part of the program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.