Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Only with Participating Airlines [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2016, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
The following are the domestic and international TSA Pre✓® Participating Airlines:
  • Advanced Air
  • Aerolane Lineas Aereas Nacionales del Ecuador
  • AeroMexico
  • Air Canada
  • Air Europa
  • Air France
  • Air India
  • Air Premia
  • Air Serbia
  • Air Tahiti Nui
  • Air Transat
  • Alaska Airlines
  • All Nippon Airways
  • Allegiant Air
  • American Airlines
  • Aruba Airlines
  • Asiana Airlines
  • Austrian Airlines
  • Avelo Airlines
  • Avianca
  • Azul Airlines
  • Bahamasair
  • BermudAir
  • Boutique Airlines
  • Breeze Airways
  • British Airways
  • Brussels Airlines
  • Cape Air
  • Cathay Pacific Airways
  • Cayman Airways
  • China Airlines
  • Condor Airlines
  • Contour Aviation
  • Copa Airlines
  • Delta Air Lines
  • Eastern Airlines
  • Edelweiss Air
  • EL AL Israel
  • Emirates
  • Etihad Airways
  • Eurowings Discover
  • EVA Air
  • Fiji Airways
  • Finnair
  • Flair Airlines
  • Flycana
  • French bee
  • Frontier Airlines
  • Global Crossing Airlines
  • Hawaiian Airlines
  • iAero Airways
  • Iberia
  • Icelandair
  • InterCaribbean Airways
  • ITA Airways
  • Japan Airlines
  • JetBlue Airways
  • Key Lime Air
  • KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
  • Korean Air
  • La Compagnie
  • LAN Peru S.A.
  • LATAM Airlines
  • Lufthansa
  • New Pacific Airlines
  • Norse Atlantic Airways
  • Norwegian Air
  • Omni Air International
  • PAL Express
  • Philippine Airlines
  • Porter Airlines
  • Qantas
  • Qatar Airways
  • Scandinavian Airlines
  • Seaborne Airlines
  • Silver Airways
  • Singapore Airlines
  • Southern Airways Express
  • Southwest Airlines
  • Spirit Airlines
  • STARLUX Airlines
  • Sun Country Airlines
  • Sunwing Airlines
  • Swiss International Air Lines
  • Swoop
  • TAM-Linhas Aereas S.A.
  • TAP Air Portugal
  • Titan Airways
  • Turkish Airlines
  • Ultimate Jet Charters
  • United Airlines
  • Virgin Atlantic
  • Viva Air Colombia
  • VivaAerobus
  • Volaris
  • Volaris El Salvador
  • WestJet
  • World Atlantic
  • ZIPAIR
Print Wikipost

TSA PreCheck Only with Participating Airlines [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 11:07 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...ional-airlines

TSA announced today expansion of benefits to include 7 more airlines including SQ & TK.
Thanks.

I've updated the wiki.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
Although Pre-Check data is much more detailed, including travel patterns and that caused initial hiccups with many EU carriers, Pre-Check (and GE) are voluntary programs.

Nobody must participate and all of that data, including from US carriers to DHS, is only provided with the express permission of the passenger.
The only thing airline is submitting for PreCheck on top of what that normally submit to serve US market is KTN#. Airline do not submit travel patterns as part of PreCheck.

I don't see how privacy regulation would prevent airline from submitting KTN but allow for submission of passenger name, DOB, travel document etc.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by seawolf
The only thing airline is submitting for PreCheck on top of what that normally submit to serve US market is KTN#. Airline do not submit travel patterns as part of PreCheck.

I don't see how privacy regulation would prevent airline from submitting KTN but allow for submission of passenger name, DOB, travel document etc.
Do you have access to the documentation for the precheck data submission system? I'd love to see it.

Are you 100% sure the airlines agreements with the TSA do not contain any data-sharing arrangements?
Old May 25, 2017, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Thanks.

I've updated the wiki.
Would be interested to see if when SQ rival CX start to look into this.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:42 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by televisor
Do you have access to the documentation for the precheck data submission system? I'd love to see it.

Are you 100% sure the airlines agreements with the TSA do not contain any data-sharing arrangements?
I think the question is really what is there left to share that has not already been provided via SecureFlight, APIS, ESTA for VWP or visa application for non VWP? According to border security reality TV show, CBP apparently can also pull ticket purchase information as well. All this information is already provided to US for general passengers.

What information is there left to share for PreCheck?
Old May 26, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by seawolf
I think the question is really what is there left to share that has not already been provided via SecureFlight, APIS, ESTA for VWP or visa application for non VWP? According to border security reality TV show, CBP apparently can also pull ticket purchase information as well. All this information is already provided to US for general passengers.

What information is there left to share for PreCheck?
Things like travel history for flights that don't touch the US. ESTA doesn't ask for a list of all visited countries, never mind all visited cities.

From what I'm aware frequent flyers used to commonly get Pre without a KTN, that could be based on status being transmitted (is that transmitted as part of SecureFlight?), or it could be based on actual travel history submitted by the airline. Given the lack of public information on this, who knows?
Old May 26, 2017, 8:33 pm
Original Member

Only evidence of data for PreCheck is submission of KTN. As part of obtaining KTN, you should have already truthfully provided that travel history you are concern about.

Foreign nationals can't even obtain KTN without submitting to background check conducted by foreign government. That information would be obtained by US government from the foreign government than a foreign airline.

Last edited by seawolf; May 27, 2017 at 7:10 am
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I was wonder if BA or KLM will join TSA PreCheck anytime soon? I know other airlines who did not join TSA PreCheck.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Connecting Flights

Flying BOS-IAD-NRT and NRT-ORD-BOS, where the US domestic flights are UA and transpac flights are NH. NH single award ticket.
-For the outbound, do I need to call UA to add KTN for Pre to populate on BP?
-For the return, to get Pre in ORD after Immigration/Customs, does one need to have a new BP issued by UA?
Thanks much!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyaxa
Flying BOS-IAD-NRT and NRT-ORD-BOS, where the US domestic flights are UA and transpac flights are NH. NH single award ticket.
-For the outbound, do I need to call UA to add KTN for Pre to populate on BP?
-For the return, to get Pre in ORD after Immigration/Customs, does one need to have a new BP issued by UA?
Thanks much!
Yes call or go online with UA to add KTN/ensure name is correctly entered in secure flight data name fields.

Yes UA would need to issue you a BP to get Pre. May be able to pull it up in the UA app after the NH flight lands.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Perfect thanks!
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by okamzikprosim
That said, it is very interesting that some airlines do ask for KTN when they are not part of PreCheck. For example, I recently made a booking on HU and KTN was part of the passenger information form.

Sign of things to come someday or just wishful thinking?
It's possible that they're working on it. Collecting the KTN and forwarding it as part of the ticketing info is a lot easier than sending it and encoding a response from the TSA. Part of the Precheck requirements is that the boarding pass is digitally signed (if you alter any of the plaintext elements of the barcode, like name or departure/arrival city, then the TSA scanners will recognize it as invalid. It's not known (as far as I've read) whether the TSA signs the responses and sends it back to the airline for inclusion in the barcode, or if TSA merely sends the response (precheck/normal/SSSS) and then the airline uses their own private key to sign the boarding pass.

Another option is that HU might be forwarding the information on as part of tickets issued by other airlines.

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Since NZ2 isn’t a participating airline the OP couldn’t have gotten PreCheck on his BP. Non-participating airlines don’t qualify for random inclusion. And yes, I’m one of those flyers who thinks PreCheck ought to be tied to the passenger regardless of the carrier being flown but that’s not the way it works.
The issue is that the trust is currently tied to the boarding pass and an offline read at the boarding pass station. The airline has to integrate with TSA to get a response on whether or not precheck is offered, and sign all boarding passes with a digital signature (if they're altered, whether it's the name, or destination, or the fact that someone got prechecked, the scanner can detect it because the signature won't match). You have to change your boarding pass generation to get this response, process it, and react accordingly.

They are testing credential authentication technology at US airports, which instead scans the person's identification document (license, passport, etc.) and then references it against secure flight. At that point, a boarding pass indicator/barcode inclusion would become a moot point, since they could just look it up from secure flight. Of course, the ticketing airline would still need to submit the information to Secure Flight as part of ticketing.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:57 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by phltraveler
Part of the Precheck requirements is that the boarding pass is digitally signed (if you alter any of the plaintext elements of the barcode, like name or departure/arrival city, then the TSA scanners will recognize it as invalid. It's not known (as far as I've read) whether the TSA signs the responses and sends it back to the airline for inclusion in the barcode, or if TSA merely sends the response (precheck/normal/SSSS) and then the airline uses their own private key to sign the boarding pass.
Signature is only required on digital BP. Paper BP are not signed. Therefore, it is unlikely TSA response is signed.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I was wonder if Condor will ever join TSA PreCheck anytime soon? I schedule for next flight from PHX-FRA-BSL on May 18, 2018. Should I call Condor to put on KTN?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by N830MH
I was wonder if Condor will ever join TSA PreCheck anytime soon? I schedule for next flight from PHX-FRA-BSL on May 18, 2018. Should I call Condor to put on KTN?
According to the Condor web site, they don't collect the KTN (they do collect a redress number if applicable).

Recording Secure Flight Data (API)
You will be asked for your Secure Flight data (title/gender, first name, surname, date of birth, Redress Number* if available) when you make your booking through condor.com and the data will be automatically be forwarded to the authorities in the USA. In this case, there is then no requirement for the data to be recorded separately in the API data form at condor.com. If you did not provide this information when you made your booking, please do so as quickly as possible, and ideally right after you book your flight. Please have your travel and identification documents ready for providing the data.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.