Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS card iris scan question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEXUS card iris scan question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:19 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Yajc
Also, unless I am misunderstanding something, I believe I can use my NEXUS card in place of my passport with or without an Iris scan when going through the regular, non-nexus lane. Is this correct?
Not for air entry, no.

The CBSA's document requirements for US citizen visitors

Originally Posted by CBSA
Visitors to Canada
Identification requirements for U. S. citizens and permanent residents
(...)
Citizens and permanent residents of the United States who are members of the NEXUS or FAST programs may present their membership cards to the CBSA as proof of identity and as documents that denote citizenship, when arriving by land or marine modes only.
(emphasis added)
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Yajc
Thanks, but aren't (APC) machines for Canadian and American citizens flying into the U.S only? I will be travelling from the US into Canada. Do APC kiosks work travelling into Canada? If not, it sounds like I will need to just go through the regular, non-nexus lane first.

Also, unless I am misunderstanding something, I believe I can use my NEXUS card in place of my passport with or without an Iris scan when going through the regular, non-nexus lane. Is this correct?
Canada has its own version of APC kiosks. You have to fill out the regular paper declaration, insert it, and your passport, and you get a receipt. You then have to show it to an agent who may ask some additional questions.

You can use your Nexus card in place of your passport at the land border in any lane. You need your card (and iris scan) to use the Nexus machine inbound to Canada by air. You most definitely can not use A Nexus card instead of a passport in a non-nexus line when traveling by air. You are misunderstanding something for sure - this is probably the fastest way to lose your trusted traveler privileges.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 4:06 pm
Suspended

I'm going this weekend to get my iris scanned. Anybody have any recent reports of wait time?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
I'm going this weekend to get my iris scanned. Anybody have any recent reports of wait time?
Got my scan at YVR a few weeks ago. Walked right up to the window without any appointment, and after a brief (10 minute?) wait, the officer did the scan with my card. The scanners are right there at the window without needing to go into the office. Just be there at least 30 minutes before closing.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:42 am
Suspended

Thanks. Got in YVR late tonight and went up to 3rd floor by Starbucks and there it was. Looks like it should be no prob. Will come back tomorrow when it's open.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:43 am

Nexus eye scan at YUL on layover?

Do you think that I'll have time to do the eye scan for Nexus on a layover at Montral (YUL) next month?

Here are the details: I'm flying Air Canada from the US to Europe. My flight lands at YUL only 20 minutes before the Nexus office is scheduled to close. My layover is about two hours. Just in case it's relevant, I'm a US passport holder and I've already received my Nexus card, but I haven't yet had a chance yet to do the eye scan in Canada.

Also, when connecting at YUL to a third country, will I take my checked luggage through customs and then recheck it for my flight to Europe (like in the US)? Finally, just for future reference, would going through customs and rechecking my luggage be different if my second flight were to another city in Canada, not to a third country? Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Nexpoman
Do you think that I'll have time to do the eye scan for Nexus on a layover at Montral (YUL) next month?

Here are the details: I'm flying Air Canada from the US to Europe. My flight lands at YUL only 20 minutes before the Nexus office is scheduled to close. My layover is about two hours. Just in case it's relevant, I'm a US passport holder and I've already received my Nexus card, but I haven't yet had a chance yet to do the eye scan in Canada.
Landing 20 minutes before the NEXUS office closes is cutting it very close for YUL. The US flights arrive at the far end of the terminal; it is a 10 minute walk to the customs lines, if walking briskly. And since you won't be able to use NEXUS to clear CBSA without your iris scan, the wait time to speak to an officer in the regular line can vary wildly. Any chance you can change your ticket to get an earlier AC flight into Montreal?

I can't speak to your baggage question as I've never connected through Canada to a third country.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I don't think it is possible as you have to clear CBSA and enter Canada to get to the NEXUS enrollment centre.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by CKDGM
Not for air entry, no.

The CBSA's document requirements for US citizen visitors

(emphasis added)
What about air entry into an US airport? Is the Iris scan still required?
Old May 12, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Zman100
What about air entry into an US airport? Is the Iris scan still required?
US entry works just like GE. Only entry into Canada uses the iris scans, IME.
Old May 12, 2017, 4:14 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Incidentally, the CBSA requirements page has changed and now lists NEXUS cards as an acceptable document for air entry by US citizens even without using a kiosk. I have not tested this.
Citizens of the U.S. who are members of the NEXUS program may present their membership card to the CBSA as proof of identification and as a document that denotes citizenship, when arriving by air, land, or marine modes.

Citizens of the U.S. who are members of the FAST program may use their cards as proof of identity when arriving by land and marine modes only.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CKDGM
Incidentally, the CBSA requirements page has changed and now lists NEXUS cards as an acceptable document for air entry by US citizens even without using a kiosk. I have not tested this.
Refer to section 13.9 (page 73) of ENF 4 Port of entry examinations manual on US citizen documentation.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:51 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
So if I got my Nexus and card, can I walk into any of the airport nexus points and get the iris scan or do I need to make an appointment?
Old May 16, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by jason8612
So if I got my Nexus and card, can I walk into any of the airport nexus points and get the iris scan or do I need to make an appointment?
As far as I know, an appointment is not necessary for an iris scan.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I was able to get an last-minute appointment a few weeks ago at YYZ. They did not do the iris scan that I recall, and I'm pretty sure that I would remember.

I was already a NEXUS member but got caught in the GE renewal trap. Theoretically they have my iris scan on file already and my Trusted Traveler Number is the same.

So I'm not sure if my iris scan is linked or not. How would I find out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.